Labradar Help

I have a buddy that made a "blast shield" for his. It was a sheet metal guard but I have not talked to him to see how it worked.

I set mine about 5" In front and 2" to the side. Any more than 2-3" to the side and it won't pick up the shot.

This is how I set mine up for my rifles but mine are shot suppressed and not with just a brake, works great.

I went to Wolf Precision shooting school recently and all the rifles had the speed of the rounds tested by Labradar for the making of click charts. I think the Labradar was a little in front of the muzzle and off to the side 6", I'm not 100% sure of this. Guys were shooting braked guns, suppressed guns and stock barrels, no issues.

Having an issue with my Labradar using a 90 degree brake. Instructions say to put the barrel in front of the unit. I've tried it that way, I've put it behind the unit, used both 6 inches and 12 inches from the side and still unable to read the projectile. Is there anyone using a 90 degree brake that can help me with this?

Also, I just got a Kestrel elite and using it in conjunction with Labradar it seems to be interfering with Bluetooth? When I first start Labradar it connects fine (with phone) and will work, when I switch series the unit looses connection with my phone and will not connect again. Is anyone else using this setup?

The exhaust gas is ionized, causing the radar trouble reading thru it. If the brake vents are horizontal, try putting the radar below the muzzle. That should prevent gas from getting between the radar & the bullet. Seen this a lot w/ radar data on medium caliber.
Can't speak to the Bluetooth interference, it did cause trouble w/ my Caldwell chrono.

Haven't tried it that far back. Trigger is on sound not doppler. They say not to use it on doppler for high power rifles, not sure why?
Not sure about the Labrador.
With my chronograph using 338 LM/brake I needed to move unit to the extent of the wires. I believe that the concussion, sound barrier and roiling gases were disturbing the accuracy and calibration of the unit, ± 300 fps identical loads. At extent of wires, I began to get consistent and accurate readings of my loads.
I was shooting prone and sitting at a table, bipod only.
Have a friend monitor the gasses escaping. On a hot day they resembled a strong thermal with explosive waves dissipating fifteen feet out.

All of my rifles are both braked (mostly horizontal, some radial) and mag's. No problem. I use the newer heavy duty ball and socket and place a 25 lb sack of lead shot on the plate which seems to work fine. Placement is pretty much dictated by the bench I am using - usually about 10 to 15" to the side and about the same forward position as the muzzle brake. I don't use my cell when at the shooting range, in fact usually leave at home as I am going to the shooting range to shoot! Been using my LabRadar about 2 years and doubt I will ever go back to my prior system.

Labradar's "quick setup and tips": 12" or less to the side and 6"- 12" in front for a 90 degree break.

Page 1 #3 shows muzzle offset
Page 2 "muzzle position" for various muzzle types

Buy the microphone. Set it for low sensitivity and place the microphone under the rifle 6 - 12 inches behind the muzzle. You can then place the unit just to the side within arm's reach ... phone app not needed.

I run mine about 10 inches in front of the labradar and about 8 inches from the side. I shoot a bunch different rifles and 0 issues and I run it with my iphone . all my rifles have horizontal brakes I shoot 26 wssm, 7wsm, 7mm ultra rogue, 338 rum, 338 edge it has only not read when i didnt have it lined up on target.

I had the same problem, what that tech support told me was to set it at 12 inches and set your barrel anywhere from 8 to 12 inches from it and to place the unit slightly in front of the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.