Labradar

I only chronograph from a bench, so the Arko mount works fine. If the height isn't exactly right (seldom) when using my Hart rest, I carry an old hardbound book about 3/4" thick in the case to raise the height of the LabRadar unit .

I found that placement of the muzzle in relation to the unit was absolutely key. The muzzle had to be at or behind the Labradar.
However, the range I often use doesn't allow for that to be an easy setup.
I bought the trigger and haven't looked back. No more missed shots.
I'll addendum - for quite a while at the range I put the Labradar on a tripod rather than the bench. This worked well, but again one more piece of equipment to use.
The trigger is MUCH smaller than a tripod, so I'll stick with the trigger.

Guys, This thread came at the perfect time for me. Please allow me a few really stupid questions. What are you 'Aiming " the device at.??? I thought the device measures bullet velocity as the bullet leave the Muzzle. ??? No??? I have seen guys at the range fiddle around for a long time take a shot, not like something or other. Is this a new technology that is still evolving??? Is it really better than the Upside-down Caldwell? Thanks for any guidance!!!!

Guys, This thread came at the perfect time for me. Please allow me a few really stupid questions. What are you 'Aiming " the device at.??? I thought the device measures bullet velocity as the bullet leave the Muzzle. ??? No??? I have seen guys at the range fiddle around for a long time take a shot, not like something or other. Is this a new technology that is still evolving??? Is it really better than the Upside-down Caldwell? Thanks for any guidance!!!!

The radar signal is a cone. I would say its more common that its pointed too far down or up vs l/r.. The aiming is the chronograph to the target stand. I feel it works best when the paths are crossed a bit.

The majority of other quirks/issues are proximity of the unit to the muzzle which can be 100% cured by a DIY or purchased inertia trigger. There was a pretty abrupt dropoff of innovation in the app once they released it. People are begging for the ability to save rifles, loads, etc inside the app and just crickets.

I have had two issues in 4 or 5 years where it stopped working and they were awesome on repairing it.

Thank You Rob!!! Very Nice of you to take the time to explain. I do appreciate that!!! Im guessing the extra trigger is what pick up the sound of the Muzzle blast and activates the unit ?? This external trigger seems to work a bit better that the internal trigger. I have seen these Labradar units in Kit form for $1100.00 . I may begin the search for a used one!

Thank You Rob!!! Very Nice of you to take the time to explain. I do appreciate that!!! Im guessing the extra trigger is what pick up the sound of the Muzzle blast and activates the unit ?? This external trigger seems to work a bit better that the internal trigger. I have seen these Labradar units in Kit form for $1100.00 . I may begin the search for a used one!
I posted above but I'll put it here too:

If you have a friend with a 3D printer or maybe some woodworking skills you can make the triggers for peanuts. I have some that strap on the bipod, Pic mount etc. Here is the "brain" of the trigger.

www.amazon.com/uxcell-SW-18020P-Sensitivity-Electronic-Vibration/dp/B07SBNMNSZ

Lots of cool add ons:

If you talk to the guys at Labradar, they will advise you away from using the remote trigger.
And we've been asking them for app updates for years, so...

The two times mine has needed repair it was done fast and free.
They are VERY responsive in that way, but not when it comes to improving usability in an app that most 6th graders could probably improve.

And we've been asking them for app updates for years, so...

The two times mine has needed repair it was done fast and free.
They are VERY responsive in that way, but not when it comes to improving usability in an app that most 6th graders could probably improve.
I would happily pay a subscription for feature enhancement but it has to be good. I'd like to see them partner up with Strelok or one of the other App developers that "get it" and take my money.

I originally bought a stout mini-tripod for my LabRadar and set it up on the bench. Unfortunately, it proved to be a PITA to constantly reach over my rifle to press the buttons or reposition the unit. Now I use a Vortex tripod that came with my spotting scope and place the unit directly in front of me and off the bench entirely. Very easy to read the display, work the buttons and move the unit forward or rearward when necessary to accommodate the effects of a brake.

Battery life is one big issue with the Labradar. I tried an external battery pack but had issues with the connector -- if it wasn't aligned just right, the unit would lose power just when I needed it. I finally went with inexpensive AA rechargeable. batteries that I recharge after every range session. no more powering down during a range session.

I also got an external trigger. Only complaint with that is that if I operate the bolt fast and hard, it triggers the unit and I get a message that it could not track the bullet. Of course it couldn't -- I hadn't shot, just racked the bolt fast enough the trigger thought it sensed recoil.

Bottom line is, I use it. In the days I was using a Shooting Chrony at a public range, I had to get everyone's cooperation for 5-10 minutes while I set it up and aligned it. that was a PITA, and I often didn't bother to set up. The Labradar has fixed that problem. I can now set it up while the range is hot.
For the money ( pd. less than $100.00 ) and trouble free service my Pro Crony does me well. I just align my rifle on the target and then set the Pro Chrony up out front by looking thru the bore ( bolt removed ) and the scope from behind the chrony, simple quick and always reads velocity. The others are cool though.

After I got my unit I did some research and I bought an MK sight, Labradar battery pack, built the modified sawhorse w/pan head, trigger and an Amazon padded backpack to carry the unit. I use the sawhorse stand, pan head, backpack and MK sight on every trip to the range. In my opinion the trigger is unnecessary because the unit pick up 99% of shots w/o the trigger. I normally use AA batteries to power the unit because the Labradar battery pack dies in less than 15 minutes if shooting in temps less than 45 degrees. Rechargeable AA batteries would be my choice if I had to do it again. Last week I was at the range and we were shooting multiple steel targets from 300-600 yards and the unit didn't miss a shot out of 50 taken.

For the money ( pd. less than $100.00 ) and trouble free service my Pro Crony does me well. I just align my rifle on the target and then set the Pro Chrony up out front by looking thru the bore ( bolt removed ) and the scope from behind the chrony, simple quick and always reads velocity. The others are cool though.
I own one. Velocity can easily vary by 100+ fps based on sunlight conditions.
Useful in a pinch, but not that great for consistency or accuracy.