Kill the wolf?

November 2019 Minnesota deer opener, I sat down in my stand at 6;00am and then heard the 1st wolf howl a couple hundred yards up behind me.
saw 3 guys that I had deer hunted with in the past at the end of the day
those guys saw 4 does and 7 timber wolves

In 4 days on my stand, I heard no shots saw no deer or deer tracks when heading in or out. But saw many wolf tracks.

In a past year I saw 9 wolves in 1 day from my stand.

T.P.

Not sure if I understand this. Can you explain it? Not trying to pick a fight, just not sure what you mean?
I was into the RMEF for a long time until they came to my area, we had excellent elk hunting even with the wolves which we could kinda hammer on and help the elk, then came along RMEF and bought two accesses points and publicized to its members and the whole world about this small area, first two hours opening morning I counted 45 4 wheelers pass me while glassing, the elk hunting has never been the same because they are opening up access to those corridors the elk can move through without being ran down by side by sides or 4 wheelers, most of those guys access through the RMEF easement. IMO the elk were better of with the wolves than the RMEF!!

Mt pockets,The wolfs where here,as Steve knows.In very small numbers.On canadian border,where my family owns land.They spread down the Nfork of the flathead.Those hunters moved to the Mfork of Flathead as did the wolfs,that where gaining in numbers due to our vast game resource.I grew up here,and never saw sign of a wolf in Mfork until roughly past ten years.Well before that in Nfork.A large drainage I hunted that is about 8 miles long is wiped out.A local guy shot a wolf the first year we had a season in that drainage,on video.There where 10 wolfs in pack,at that time F&G,said wolfs werent in that area.The season before I saw 7 wolf beds in one high meadow.This is all big roadless,wilderness designation area.You could not overhunt itand put a dent in it because tough horse type area.When I was young camps in every drainage,just like the grizz.But the tough old guys got older and only rare few would work that hard.Large steep tough and grizz.It took the wolf very little time to ruin it.The wolfs have spread ALL OVER,now and our next large area that is seeing the demise from wolf is the Swan Range.The video of father son,''wolf tsunami''is in the Swan from this season.The only thing to change in my lifetime of hunting in the wilderness area is=the addition of the wolf.Seen plenty of hard winters here,but some always made it.Ya I was in fresh wolf tracks today.:(

Mt pockets,The wolfs where here,as Steve knows.In very small numbers.On canadian border,where my family owns land.They spread down the Nfork of the flathead.Those hunters moved to the Mfork of Flathead as did the wolfs,that where gaining in numbers due to our vast game resource.I grew up here,and never saw sign of a wolf in Mfork until roughly past ten years.Well before that in Nfork.A large drainage I hunted that is about 8 miles long is wiped out.A local guy shot a wolf the first year we had a season in that drainage,on video.There where 10 wolfs in pack,at that time F&G,said wolfs werent in that area.The season before I saw 7 wolf beds in one high meadow.This is all big roadless,wilderness designation area.You could not overhunt itand put a dent in it because tough horse type area.When I was you camps in every drainage,just like the grizz.But the tough old guys got older and only rare few would work that hard.Large steep tough and grizz.It took the wolf very little time to ruin it.The wolfs have spread ALL OVER,now and or next large area that is seeing the demise from wolf is the Swan Range.The video of father son,''wolf tsunami''is in the Swan from this season.The only thing to change in my lifetime of hunting in the wilderness area is=the addition of the wolf.Seen plenty of hard winters here,but some always made it.Ya I was in fresh wolf tracks today.:(

Thanks for the response. I feel for all hunters affected by the reduction in game, but especially those of you who have lived it your whole lives and have seen it plummet.

Heres whats happing from it.Been going on for some time.The west side is going to the east side.In droves,the east side,at least hunters dont really like this.More hunters concentrated in less space.

I didn't want to have to go back through previous post, but the use of snares is totally legal in the State of Idaho with a Trappers permit and has been for some time.

Most of the wolves taken in Idaho are from trappers.

I had forgotten that Idaho made some units available to snaring, I can't find Wyoming again to double check, I don't think we can ever get it legal in MT, we've tried but since we are regulating them as a big game animal not a fur bearer or predatory animal.

Idaho has Wolves and Mtn. Lions listed under their Big Game Hunting rules, but they do classify them as predators FWTW. Maybe Montana should follow suit with whatever works.

They are protected in Oregon unfortunately. And they are burning their way across the state like a wildfire. It's a sad day when I see what's happened to our once prime elk hunting areas in eastern Oregon get lamblasted by these predatory over zealous killers.
I've been told they are taking a toll on the small moose herd out there now as well. They've made it to the Cascades now as well.

FWP meeting in Conrad tonight about 45 in attendance. Mostly about CWD. Wolves didn't come up except to say there were no statewide rule changes.

The "kill them all" mentality is based on fear, you know the Big Bad Wolf type of fear.
Healthy Wildlife Management is based on Balance .
If you feel that your hunting areas are being mismanaged by Government Agencies, then you need to take it up with them.
Going on a kill them all rampage won't solve the problem or benefit anyone.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.