Kill the wolf?

Just think about this. If we could shoot anything we could and did, we would not be close to what the wolves do. Wolves spend their entire life just looking for the next meal and making wolf babies. We did some heavy damage years ago(on the wolves) so we could flourish deer, elk, sheep, bison and cattle. Then we limited ourselves by putting in hunting regulations. We along with nature controlled the herds of animals, everyone loves. What we need to do is document wolf kills and cattle kills and then portray them to the anti's including f&g commissions. Emotions are the only thing that will change anti's minds. They don't listen to logic, it's not hard-wired like us hunters. Think about it and the many conversations with anti-hunters who just don't get it, until they physically see the damage of the precious elk they want to see as well. We managed with science for many years. However, science that they focus on has been skewed nowadays.

These wolves kill for sport. They are not the same. It should be end of discussion.

As a Canadian and Albertan I find it pretty entertaining that some folks think our wolves are a different species. there is only one grey wolf folks.... Science.

Wrong

Gray Wolf Subspecies
Gray Wolf (Canis lupus)
Timber wolf. Arctic wolf. Mackenzie Valley wolf. Buffalo wolf... How many different kinds of wolves are there? This is a question that biologists continue to debate. They must also decide the difference between a species and a subspecies (subgroup within a species). Most scientists believe that there are two species of wolves in the world: the gray wolf and the red wolf.

For many years, most thought there were 32 subspecies of gray wolf in North America. However, with recent genetic studies, today most biologists believe there are just four types or subspecies of gray wolf: arctic, great plains, Mexican, and northwestern. Another possible subspecies called the eastern wolf is still under debate by the scientific community.

Some subspecies are often difficult to distinguish from one another. This is because they can breed with one another where their ranges overlap so that their populations tend to blend together rather than form distinctive boundaries. The different traits we see in subspecies are likely the result of geographic range, available habitat, and prey base. Skull dimensions, overall size, fur color, and the length of appendages are some of the characteristics that differ between subspecies of gray wolf.

Last edited:
Canadian biologists claim that an adult wolf needs 16 - 18 full sized deer or 8 elk per year to survive. It doesn't take much math to figure out that it won't take many wolves to decimate a large herd of elk or deer.

-That I don't know, have been pondering how to pay for a website that can be an upload point for everyone's videos and pictures. Maybe the a wildlife reality report. The real question is how to get the anti's to watch it and change their mind slowly. It's going to be a long process.
There you go, it's like telling the progressive left free crap cannot be sustained,lol

At 20K, it sounds like you were over-populated. Biologists in Idaho say that wolves account for less than 1% of the total predation of Idaho elk. While cougars account for the largest predation, at only 2%. Life mortality accounts for the biggest loss, as cow elk have achieved a longer life span, and it has come of age.
https://www.cdapress.com/outdoors/20181122/increasing_idahos_elk_numbers_is_predator_management_goal

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-elk-2017-2018.pdf
One needs to look at it like this. They kill a elk or mule deer in some areas every 3 days. I believe it's more than that. Watched Byron other night on his show in Montana he found more than 5 kills in one night. Alot of elk hunters are saying they are not seeing elk like they did in past. Look what wolves did to elk in ID, and that area. These people that say they are not the problem is the problem. It's all a marketing strategy . If we do not manage these we will see decline in cattle and everything else. Before long it will be humans !

As a Canadian and Albertan I find it pretty entertaining that some folks think our wolves are a different species. there is only one grey wolf folks.... Science.

As for the Caribou here, we have forestry, oil and gas development to thank for their decline. opening roads and cutlines allows easy travel and access for the wolf into areas where they are already being pressured by development. aerial gunning is a bandaid fix at best, though I don't disagree with it.

Id rather have them than not, just like the grizzly. the hunting would lose a large measure of charm without these critters on the landscape. Sure, maybe there would be more game, and the hunting easier too If they weren't here.

makes you wonder why anyone would want to hunt Alaska?!
True. https://www.google.com/search?q=pre...8&hl=en-us&client=safari#imgrc=Rnjf4bA_6mPCxM:

Don't believe the propaganda from the "professionals". First of all, the fools introduced a non-native species on the ruse that they would control the exploding Yellowstone bison herd. Just like many theories from academics, that didn't happen. Bison group up and effectively defend themselves. However, in the first year after reintroduction of the non-native Canadian wolf species, the northern Yellowstone elk herd dropped from an average of 80 calves/100 cows to 11 calves/ 100 cows. In short order the herd dropped from 18000 head to around 2000 head. Migrations used re-stock elk herds across Montana. Now, that doesn't happen. In addition Montana wildlife biologists are puzzled by the reduction in moose population across the State. They'll probably milk that for a couple million in tax dollars to study the issue. I guarantee you that they will find no connection between wolf pack numbers and loss of moose population. News flash, people, wolves kill for sport. They ravage elk calving grounds and wipe out calf crop. Settlers annihilated wolves for good reason once. And actually, all of we Montana natives heard wolf call and saw wolf sign before the great wolf reintroduction experiment was thrust upon us by non-residents and liberal politicians. Now they're out of control again. Yes, shoot the wolves!!!

I can't for the life of me understand how people think the same agencies who mishandled this whole deal could somehow correct it??? Name ONE agency on any level whom you would trust to make, produce or govern your life yet we keep doing it ad nauseam!! Of course I live in NY...was hoping one day to move west, we'll pray tonight there will be some semblance left when we do.

"inherent accuracy"
Barrel break in ?
NO, waste of barrel !
YES, saves barrel from aggressive cleaning of copper fouled barrels .
Blah,blah,blah.......
If wolves bother you, killum, but dont brag. If you dont want to kill wolves, dont , but dont judge a man who feels he is protecting what's his by killing them.

I have another hypothesis as to what MAY be happening SOME of the time. READY ?.......Elk probably have had it pretty easy for many years with predation in most western states. Introduce wolves and the elk dont know what to do and several get dropped by wolves. Then those elk that witness the carnage but escape become very wary of showing their faces in the beautiful meadows us hunters are use to seeing them frequent. Where did the elk go ? Wolves obviously ate them all.
Come to my neck of the woods and you would swear there wasn't a whitetail anywhere to be found because around here , a deer that shows its face usually doesnt make it back to its bedding area from hunting pressure. Then shine a field at night and count all the deer eyes shining back at you.
JUST A POSSIBLE THEORY . PLEASE DONT SEND ANY BOMB THREATS TO MY FAMILY IF IT SEEMS TO DISAGEE WITH YOUR EXPERIENCES.

Last edited:
Barrel break in ?
NO, waste of barrel !
Blah,blah,blah.......
If wolves bother you, killum, but dont brag. If you dont want to kill wolves, dont , but dont judge a man who feels he is protecting what's his by killing them.

I have another hypothesis as to what MAY be happening SOME of the time. READY ?.......Elk probably have had it pretty easy for many years with predation in most western states. Introduce wolves and the elk dont know what to do and several get dropped by wolves. Then those elk that witness the carnage but escape become very wary of showing their faces in the beautiful meadows us hunters are use to seeing them frequent. Where did the elk go ? Wolves obviously are them all.
Come to my neck of the woods and you would swear there wasn't a whitetail anywhere to be found because around here , a deer that shows its face usually doesnt make it back to its bedding area from hunting pressure. Then shine a field at night and count all the deer eyes shining back at you.
JUST A POSSIBLE THEORY . PLEASE DONT SEND ANY BOMB THREATS TO MY FAMILY IF IT SEEMS TO DISAGEE WITH YOUR EXPERIENCES.

That's certainly a view point BUT I live on the edge of a winter range for elk that used to have thousands, last year I watched 112 elk total and twice I watched those get ran by wolves, winter ranges don't lie about the reality, there are many that are essentially empty now!!

Barrel break in ?
NO, waste of barrel !
Blah,blah,blah.......

I have another hypothesis as to what MAY be happening SOME of the time. READY ?.......Elk probably have had it pretty easy for many years with predation in most western states. Introduce wolves and the elk dont know what to do and several get dropped by wolves. Then those elk that witness the carnage but escape become very wary of showing their faces in the beautiful meadows us hunters are use to seeing them frequent. Where did the elk go ? Wolves obviously are them all.
Sounds like you like to think independently from time to time (euphemism).:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.