Kill the wolf?

Three years ago in northern Nevada we followed a herd of elk that was being followed by a wolf. When we went back to the ranch that had allowed use access, they said they didn't have any wolves and if they did they followed the 3s program. We fully understood and would have done the same if we had had the opportunity.
Guess what? This year the idiots at Nevada F&G had this statement in the regs: "It is illegal to kill wolves in Nevada".
My opinion: We have more than enough wolves in the system right now. I have followed, read and observed as many wolves as I possible could in my life. Do not believe the idiots that say wolves only kill for food. I have seen fifty three dead sheep and a bunch more injured in a sheep pen. Ask the mountain lion hunter that had his pack of hounds destroyed by a pack of wolves what he thinks of wolves. Watch any real video on how wolves kill and it will turn your stomach. Do they have a "right" to be here? Sure balanced with our right to protect our way of life and property.
The assumption that 20,000 elk is over population is just that, an assumption. Idaho F&G wasn't on top of the kill off until they woke up and didn't have a herd of elk that was a huntable population.
Wolves are not being manged based on solid scientific wildlife practices. They are being managed in the public opinion poll. WRONG!! If you want to see the future of wolf management, just look at the wild horse fiasco. Look at the emaciated skin and bones horses all around northern Nevada and see what management by public opinion does to wildlife.

Agreed!

Rely on the F&W recommendations.

The govt brought them in, and they appear to want more of them
Oh give us a break. Surely you do not believe that.

Ask anyone who has spent time near Gardiner, Mt.

The elk herd there has been DECIMATED by the wolves, yet MT FWP is considering CUTTING the hunt area quota from 2 to ONE. That is not per person- that is one wolf killed in the entire hunt area and the season closes!

The next zone over is being considered for the same cut.

This is arguably the most overpopulated area we have yet they want more of them? We already are not keeping up with pup production!

With some of the things FWP puts out, it's getting harder and harder to believe what they say. They also still claim that those same hunt areas are WAAAAYYYY above their elk population goals, yet ask anyone who hunts there- there are no tags and even fewer elk!

One day on my Coyote line and I could teach you guys how to give those Wolves a hard time. Snares and steel traps are so hard to beat. Wolves are Canines just like dogs and coyotes so they do things because they just have to? Like pee on a fireplug they just have to! You can take advantage of this and be ready make them do what YOU want!
You can think they only react..Have a nice locking snare ready..problem solved!
One day in a wolf line will.make you rethink what you know about trapping!! First snares are illegal right now in the lower 48.
Wolves are next level to trap IMO, they are humbling to trap!! Its very similar to going from.fox trapping to coyote trapping, to go from coyote to wolf is next level!!

Oh snares are not illegal at all better check your laws I have 55 out today!
I have no doubt I could. Lots of other guys catch them I could too! Here you go big boy Ky. trapping laws Snares ARE legal!!
LEGAL METHODS and EQUIPMENT FOR TRAPPING FURBEARERS
Trappers may use lights from boats or vehicles to check traps.

Traps may not be set in trails or paths commonly used by people or domestic animals.

There are no restrictions on the size or type of trap used as a water set, except that any body-gripping trap greater than 20 inches wide must be set so the trap is completely submerged under water. A water set is a trap set in the water of a river, stream, pond, lake, wetland or other body of water so that a portion of the trap body is underwater.

The following equipment is permitted for dry land sets. A dry land set is a trap set so that no portion of the trap touches the water of a river, stream, pond, lake, wetland or other water course.

• Deadfall
  • Wire cage or box trap
  • Foothold traps with a maximum inside jaw spread of 6 inches measured perpendicular to the hinges
  • On private land, a body-gripping trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of 7½ inches measured parallel with the trigger
  • On wildlife management and outdoor recreation areas, a bodygripping trap with a maximum inside jaw spread of 5¼ inches
  • Snare. A snare means a wire, cable, or string with a knot, loop, or a single piece closing device, the deployment of which is or is not spring-assisted, but any spring-assisted device is not for the purpose of applying tension to the closing device
On wildlife management and outdoor recreation areas, dry land sets may not be placed closer than 10 feet apart.

On private land, dry land sets may not be placed closer than 10 feet apart unless the person trapping has written permission from the landowner or the landowner's designee, except there shall not be more than three traps set within any 10-foot spacing. The trap spacing requirement does not apply to wire cage or box traps or on properties of 5 acres of less.

To the OP- you seem to think that we need to just let Fish and Game departments
Oh give us a break. Surely you do not believe that.

Another thing to consider-

you seem to rely on the govt to do the right thing. I agree that they have a tough job to do, but sometimes it really is the case of radicals being in the position of power and doing things based on emotion and NOT science.

Take, for example, the former head of the USFWS who was in charge shortly after the wolf reintroduction. She retired to take the position of President and CEO of the eco-terrorist organization Defenders of Wildlife.

Did her views suddenly become radicalized when she took that position?

We can't just stick our heads in the sand and assume that the powers that be have our best interests at heart.

Living in Montana, this is an issue I'm quite familiar with. Though I don't hate wolves, I do not think that they should have been reintroduced. Here's why, elk and other ungulates already have a lot to contend with in today's world. Before settlers came to America, wolves had a useful place. But today with growing infringement on habitat, grizzlies, black bears, cougars, hard winters, hunters, chronic wasting disease, and disrupted migration routes, elk have a lot to put up with. And the moose suffer even more, in addition to lack of low intensity wildfires and logging to produce better browse. I would not ever advocate to exterminate an animal from an ecosystem unless it was invasive; but wolves have many more mouths to feed and much are more successful predators than other competitors. Not to mention wolves are difficult to hunt, so harvest may not be enough to control their numbers since populations have exploded beyond the initial management plan. If it was decided to exterminate wolves from the lower 48 I would not oppose it. Maybe I'm naive but that's where I stand.

No you said snares are illegal in the"Lower 48" Kentucky is in the lower 48 last time I checked? And they are not illegal...I can give you the name of several snare shops that make wolf snares and list them! Why? It has to be legal somewhere or they would have no reason to even make them??

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.