Kill the wolf?

At 20K, it sounds like you were over-populated. Biologists in Idaho say that wolves account for less than 1% of the total predation of Idaho elk. While cougars account for the largest predation, at only 2%. Life mortality accounts for the biggest loss, as cow elk have achieved a longer life span, and it has come of age.
https://www.cdapress.com/outdoors/20181122/increasing_idahos_elk_numbers_is_predator_management_goal

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-elk-2017-2018.pdf
That right there is a perfect example of fake news! The wildlife manager down by Tucson said there weren't a dozen lions in his whole unit. A buddy of mine had pictures of eleven different lions in one canyon! All you have to do to see the wolf problem is look at Yellowstone. Elk are almost completely gone.

No you said snares are illegal in the"Lower 48" Kentucky is in the lower 48 last time I checked? And they are not illegal...
DUDE, I'll have up to 400 snares out for coyotes some years, I'm very, very sorry I didn't make it so painfully clear in a thread totally about wolves and saying WOLF LINE that I was only referencing wolf snaring, SNARES AS A METHOD OF TAKING WOLVES, is illegal in the lower 48!!

Last edited:
I have hunted in North Idaho for over 30 years. I have seen a huge decline not only in elk,deer, and moose but also lion and black bear. Not only do wolves kill for sport but they also are eating what the bear and lions would be.
My brother and I were grouse hunting up the little north fork of the CDA river back in 94. We were quickly surrounded by 5 wolves running circles around us for over 5 minutes. We were shocked. We saw one had a collar. We quickly went to f&g in CDA to report it. Everyone in there laughed at us. They told my info as I requested to talk to a biologist. A biologist finally called me a couple weeks later. I talked to him for about 30 minutes. He was quizzing me like I was on trial looking for a story change. Finally he must have broke instead because he told me I wasn't the only one who reported a sighting. Sightings were reported the day before and a month before that in the same area. He said he looked all area and saw no evidence so to him and f&g they weren't there. But he also told me, they brought Canadian wolf to Central Idaho to be breed and raised. The ones we saw escaped and believe to be heading back toward Canada.
This is much bigger than a state by state issue. To think otherwise is pure ignorant.
I'm sure there is a place in some southern state where black bear numbers are just a little low and would like to see an increase. How about we bring in some Kodiak's and put them on protected status. That's more apples to apples then your fricken yotes.
We no longer see black bear, mulies, moose like we used to where I spend most of my time in North Eastern corner of Idaho.

10 years ago in southern Oregon low and behold a wolf showed up on the west side of the cascade mountains. Hasn't been one here since the 1920s or so. Supposedly he migrated from the imnaha pack in north eastern Oregon some 350 miles as the crow flies. Some 6 months to a year later a female just happened to migrate down here from the same pack or maybe a different one close by to the same place that male migrated to. Now we have wolves in southern Oregon as a result of them being run out of there original packs in north eastern Oregon and migrating some 350 miles acorrding to the Oregon dfg. And not just one but two none the less! I'll tell you how they migrated! They were hauled down here in the back of a fish and wildlife pickup, and had radio collars placed on them. Cattle have been killed, the deer and elk are being harassed and the libs are happy. The first litter the pair of wolves had was plastered all over the news papers and news as a great thing. It's bad enough the cats are out of control and can't be managed by hunters using dogs, but now wolves that are protected can't be killed. Thanks Oregon dept of fish and wildlife your really do a good job.

I hear all sides of this. If you listen to the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, the wolves are the epitome of a threat to the whole ecosystem. Western sheep and cattle ranchers will pretty much back that up. We must maintain a balance in the population, or we stand a chance to have another animal go extinct. That cannot happen. I seriously doubt the wolves in the west, will get to the problems caused by feral hogs and coyotes in Texas.

That would be fine if they weren't all becoming a bunch of tree and bunny hugging libtards. Can't speak for all but the experiences I've had with Idaho F&G and Colorado Parks and Wildlife (extensive) they don't do a lot based on science, it is what some Dir or other executive thinks is best regardless of what the true experts tell them. Recently CPW took polls on hunting seasons, most popular answers (over 60%) in several instances, CPW did exactly the opposite. I asked them if you were just going to do that anyway, why ask. They refused to respond. So if you are in a blue state, good luck with that relying on politically run F&W.
They are not the tree huggers. They have to fight the tree huggers wen they introduce anything that would allow hunting or trapping of wildlife. Colorado with the black bear issue, is a perfect example. You can be terrorized in your house, while a black bear is peering in every window and has already killed your dog and spread garbage across the yard, but, you better not shoot the darn thing.

At 20K, it sounds like you were over-populated. Biologists in Idaho say that wolves account for less than 1% of the total predation of Idaho elk. While cougars account for the largest predation, at only 2%. Life mortality accounts for the biggest loss, as cow elk have achieved a longer life span, and it has come of age.
https://www.cdapress.com/outdoors/20181122/increasing_idahos_elk_numbers_is_predator_management_goal

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-elk-2017-2018.pdf

This is the problem with statistics. They can be made to seem like something they are not. Wolves, are not all over Idaho. Narrow it down to where they are located and post those statistics.

No you said snares are illegal in the"Lower 48" Kentucky is in the lower 48 last time I checked? And they are not illegal...I can give you the name of several snare shops that make wolf snares and list them! Why? It has to be legal somewhere or they would have no reason to even make them??
Snares are legal in many states. We use them in Texas.

Well I guess if the Texas people on here who know so much about Montana and Idaho's wolf issues we should live trap all of ours and send them to Texas where they can eat their cattle, whitetails, exotics, and possibly cure their ferrel hog issue. Then they might have some facts behind the foolish things they post!
Easy I'm on y'all side I don't need another problem

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.