Kick difference between 300 Wby and 300 WSM?

sdkidaho

Just wondering how much of difference in recoil there is between the 300 Wby Mag and the 300 WSM? Anyone have experience with that, that could enlighten me?

Thanks.

Substantial!
I own a 300wby, and a 270wsm and its a night and day difference. Ive shot the 300wsm and will own one someday. The 300wsm recoil(to me) is very simmilar to my 270wsm.
Just a thought, if your looking to purchase one or the other look into the 300RUM. You will gain (if ever so slightly) over the 300wby, and you dont have to mess with a belted case. All that being said, if I were to pick an all round performer(for north American big game) that wasnt overly expensive to shoot Id go with a 300wsm for my all round hunting rifle.

I own both and have shot both quite a bit without a brake. The 300 wsm is about like a 30-06 to me. The 300 wby with max 180 grain loads will belt you pretty good. To me there is a substantial difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.