Is the 300 RUM Dead??

I didn't see it as ****y at all. I respect your comments and always have. Remington's lack of marketing skills and struggles with brass production have really hurt the RUM's reputation.

Who cares what the failing marketing department does over at Remington!!
Who cares about REMINGTON brass, or factory rounds like its the end all be all of brass and rounds and the only one available for the 300 RUM!!
Like I said before by Bertram (which is on par with lapua) or norma which is better than Remington and looky you didnt have to deal with the ****** marketing of Remington to have one of THE best LR hunting rounds available !!!!
And the The fact of the matter is the big RUM's do it like no other "factory rounds" (except the biggest baddest Weatherby's by a very slight margin and having to do it with a bunch more powder) even with ****** marketing, that speaks volumes!!!!!!
Look at the percentage of custom rifles chambered in 300, 338, 7rum, Or some of the baddest wildcats based off of the 300 RUM case,,,
In sportsmans they cant keep the 300 in stock in any model!!

Novelty!!! seriously!! so its as for fetched as a A 50BMG?? 375 Cheytac?? 30-338 LAP AI??? 338 ALLEN MAGNUM
338-KAHN? Aint seen those on the shelf..............EVER!!!!

The 300 Rum is the farthest thing from dead!!!! What's dead is the marketing towards big game rounds and big bullets that actually kill with authority,,, There is so much push and marketing towards lesser and lesser baby rounds that have no business doing work on any big game animal at 800 plus yards!!! Whats dead is the fact that no one looks at impact energy, bullet weight, frontal density or impact velocities at the farther ranges enough anymore!! the rounds that do have enough and shine at those ranges (300 RUM one of very many) to cleanly harvest game animals even if the shot gets pushed off by wind or a lazy trigger squeeze get sneered at because there not the boutique SA round and have more recoil !!!!!

I think we've got a bit off track. There is no doubt the .300 RUM is a killing, shooting SOB.

The question in my read was more market based. Why is it not more commercially successful?

Not being critical Double Z-post just happened to be in front of me, and triggered the thought. You just built your son a great birthday present, an awesome .375.

The question comes up often here. What rifle/cartridge should/I buy/build? Our preferences show up in how we answer, and I'd say quite often the RUM doesn't make the list. That I think is the heart of the question.
Why is it's commercial success limited? Recoil, the .300wm, and the wsm fad.

Most people are not tolerant of the kind of recoil that comes with that much powder.

There's really little you can do with the Rum that you can't do with the WM or WSM.

The WSM fad really hooked a lot of people and while it offers nothing on either the WM or Rum, most people get stuck on whatever works for them early on and rarely change.

We're a bunch of very dedicated nuts here and the average poster here owns more rifles at any given time than most people will own in a lifetime.

Some more comments on the 300 RUM.

Long range hunters are not what drives the market because we are a small part of the shooting public. Our requirements are different than other Groups because of the accuracy, energy, and ballistics we need to do what we do.

Bench rest shooters have much less say in market sales because their group is even much smaller
so there selection of factory rifles are almost non existent.

It is true that "Most" hunters use the less powerful cartridges for many reasons. With ranges being
from 100 to 400 yards the need for something like a 300 rum doesn't exist, also most of these hunters don't care about the ballistics and many don't re load, so there not going to buy something
in the RUMs size and want ammo that Is cheep and readily available.

When the 300 RUM first came out, I had to have one because of it ability to shoot 'all' .30 caliber bullets from 30/06 velocities up. I still have one and have built many More. They have never disappointed me in both there flexibility and performance.

This might be a good poll subject just to see how many of our members have a 300 RUM.

Great cartridges live on and never die. The 300 RUM is one of these.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

I agree with JECustom, any round from a rifle direct from the factory with handloads that will put the first two bullets nearly through the same hole at 200yds and the third just off a little bit (still under 1/2 MOA) due to barrel warming is a keeper in my book. I love my 300RUM. Even more so because I only paid what I spent in raffle tickets for it. :)

..Great cartridges live on and never die. The 300 RUM is one of these...
J E CUSTOM
The RUM was "right" when White and Uno made them in BC. (wiki)

The RUM was "right" when Remington licensed it.

It's not going anywhere.

Remington's decision to discontinue any ammunition, components or rifles chambered in the Remington name has to be measured by business and in the case of the RUM is very sad. Yes in almost 200 years (or is it more?), Remington made some chamberings that were "mistakes" when reviewed later and should have been abandoned. Really just failed to meet requirements. Some other chamberings have become "redundant" in the modern world, sometimes because they exceed requirements sometimes because they already had one.

I didn't see it as ****y at all. I respect your comments and always have. Remington's lack of marketing skills and struggles with brass production have really hurt the RUM's reputation.

Thank you! I appreciate hearing how you younger guys are moving the sport forward to places I never imagined.

IDK but I can't wait till the war is over and the military contracts dry up a little and us mere mortals matter again. Then we can all refuse to buy from these asshat companies that abandoned us and they will fall by the wayside. Everyone in the business feels like Remington and Winchester names can never fall......maybe they should. It's the American way anyway.

IDK but I can't wait till the war is over and the military contracts dry up a little and us mere mortals matter again. Then we can all refuse to buy from these asshat companies that abandoned us and they will fall by the wayside. Everyone in the business feels like Remington and Winchester names can never fall......maybe they should. It's the American way anyway.
If that were the American way virtually every US manufacturing interest that existed prior to WWII would have been extinct as soon as the war was over.

We did the same thing during WWI, Vietnam, and Korea to lesser degrees.

We only have so much manufacturing capabilities in the US and when we go to war a lot of our production goes to support the war effort and the public lives with the lack of supply until the war is over.

That, is the "American Way".

Thinking bigger and larger than my 300 Win Mag, is the RUM a dead cartridge? Should a guy look to the 300 Weatherby?? dont like the 30-378 Weatherby its too big and cartridges are outrageous in Canada, what are your thoughts?lightbulb

Hi Double Dropper,

The 300 RUM is a great cartridge and will be around for the rest of our days Im sure. The only problem with it is the cost of components. I live in Red Deer so I know your pain when it comes to components.... with that said good 300 WM brass is half the price that good 300 RUM brass is. If I was building a rifle I would build a 300 WM to run 215 Bergers and call it good.

If your heart set on a high horsepower 30 cal then along with the 300 Weatherby I would suggest 300 Ultra or 300 Norma, perhaps the 300 Jazz.

Good luck with your decision.

If that were the American way virtually every US manufacturing interest that existed prior to WWII would have been extinct as soon as the war was over.

We did the same thing during WWI, Vietnam, and Korea to lesser degrees.

We only have so much manufacturing capabilities in the US and when we go to war a lot of our production goes to support the war effort and the public lives with the lack of supply until the war is over.

That, is the "American Way".
Survival of the fittest and most responsive to consumer needs is kind of the American way I think. Kodak was a blue chip company in 1990. Now....hmmmmm.
TWA parlayed massive govt contracts into a huge empire......not many people fly TWA nowadays except for WWII re-enactments.
Lots of companies have historically ****ed on their customers for wartime profiteering.
Many of them are no longer with us.
**** on your core customer base long enough because of an artificially inflated war time demand and smaller companies will retool and slaughter you if you don't take care of your core business.
Look at the number of BOUTIQUE ammo makers that have exploded in market share the last 15 yrs.
Crap on your CORE market long enough and see what happens.
If you would have told me ammo and brass would be easier to find with a Black Hills or HSM label than Federal, Remmy or Winny and I would have laughed you outa the room.
Remington alone has murdered the RUMs, SAUMs and is in the process of killing off the 260 if they keep it up.
Big corporate American gun makers have really sh1t in their dinner plate the last 15 yrs and I wont forget it and I'm sure many others won't as well.
Lapua used to be a niche player in the USA, Savage was a junk gun, Tikka was about as popular as New Coke and Hornady was a BOUTIQUE type outfit not too long ago.
Remmy, Winny and Ruger have ****sed away a huge % of market share for a 10 yr boom in military contracts. A lot of companies who did that in the last 100 yrs have found themselves out of business once the temporary inflated market is gone.

Hi Double Dropper,

The 300 RUM is a great cartridge and will be around for the rest of our days Im sure. The only problem with it is the cost of components. I live in Red Deer so I know your pain when it comes to components.... with that said good 300 WM brass is half the price that good 300 RUM brass is. If I was building a rifle I would build a 300 WM to run 215 Bergers and call it good.

If your heart set on a high horsepower 30 cal then along with the 300 Weatherby I would suggest 300 Ultra or 300 Norma, perhaps the 300 Jazz.

Good luck with your decision.
I've been an Ultra guy since before they were commercially brought out. Lapua brass was too much $$$$. Just bought my 1st 338 Lapua and will probably never build another Ultra based rig or any other rig I cant build on Lapua brass. Lapua brass is actually cheaper than any domestic now......oh and it doesn't SUCK!

I absolutely love my Rums. I have a 7 Rum, 2 300 Rums Custom built and a 338 Custom Rum. I havent shot the 338 Rum yet. I first started out with a 700 ss bdl sps 300 Rum. I had over 1500 Rounds thru it and it still shot .750 @ 100 yds. I was at the time shooting Berger 185's with 99 grains retumbo over 3400 fps. I then had a custom 300 Rum built and shoot 215 Bergers @ 3100 fps. This load has been devasting on Elk. I have over 500 rounds thru it now and I am in the process off getting my son a 300 Rum custom built and a 338 Rum custom built. I still have no idea why I needed a 338 Rum but one of everything would be cool I guess? I may just sell the 338 Rum when its done time will tell. I have 7 firings out of Remington Brass running 92.0 H1000 with the 215's. This rifle load combo is incredible imop. It has shot sub .5 moa from the day I brought it home. This year had an elk go down with it @ 557 yards dead in the scope. Also had one crater @ 1376 yds. My 12 year old used to shoot my gun and wanted one for himself. He will be 14 by next hunting season and will have the same gun I have. 300 Rum will never die @ my house!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.