Is the 300 RUM Dead??

Double Dropper

Thinking bigger and larger than my 300 Win Mag, is the RUM a dead cartridge? Should a guy look to the 300 Weatherby?? dont like the 30-378 Weatherby its too big and cartridges are outrageous in Canada, what are your thoughts?lightbulb

........Thinking bigger and larger than my 300 Win Mag, is the RUM a dead cartridge? Should a guy look to the 300 Weatherby?? dont like the 30-378 Weatherby its too big and cartridges are outrageous in Canada, what are your thoughts?lightbulb.............

For me the .300 RUM is better with the heavyweights, 230 grain bullets etc.. Those close to me found it expensive, and short lived to get what they were looking for. The replacement has been almost universally to go with a big .338.

The Weatherby, and AI's will yield a bit more velocity, not a lot more performance, in my opinion.

What style rifle are you looking for, and what do you wish to accomplish?

I would say by for not dead as long as you understand probably what you buying., Its probably the second hardest hitting 30 cal on the market next to the 30-378 weatherby (mass produced). You can compare to the 30 nosler but its when the Rum is loaded down and marketers bost of the 30 Nos this is just marketing Hype BS. It shoot heavy grain bullets well and at good speeds. It will give you a good edge over the 300 win mag with the heavies. Some of the down falls...Its expensive when it comes to brass and probably harder to find than the 300 win mag. For about a year mine never seen the light of day due to brass shortage. If you want to shoot Remington brass you will have to buy loaded rounds first. A real big ****er for me. All my loads have been off the Remington brass. The norma, or Nosler brass has a little less case capacity so it loads a little different. Also barrel life will be reduced on this round as with any large over bore for caliber round. Over all cost for reloading I think it's not any cheaper than a 338 Lapua with the lapua maybe a little more on bullets and brass but the brass if buying lapua will offer more reloads. So do I like my RUM, well yes and its fun to shoot since I have a brake on it. I got my deer with it this year at 760 yrds. Deer never took a step. It dropped him in his tracks. When the barrel wears out I might get another or go with a wild cat off the RUM case. But at some point I plan on going to a 338 Lapua AI or a 338 Texan...leaning more toward the 338 Texan since I already have the RUM action. Its a really nice design off the RUM case and launches 338 300 grains up to 3100fps. So I think pushing them at 3000 should offer some better brass life. If I did this the gun would be come a extreme long range rig that would not really be a good packable rig any more due to weight.

I hope it isn't dead. I've got a Beanland Custom on a Remington 700. Shoots the Berger 210 VLDH at 3150 FPS with 1/2 MOA accuracy with only 34 rounds down the tube.

Brass is available from Nosler and Norma, though pricey.

I have two Sendero Remingtons and a classic stainless Mod 70 and like all three of them. My little brother likes one of the Senderos even more than I do though, I haven't seen it in 3 years... . HA!

DEAD...not anytime soon ! But it may be on life support !! Same thing as everything else "big green" touchs, just look at the list of cartridges they designed and then killed themselves, the list is stunning ... Their little war on reloaders has certainly led fellows into giving this cartridge it's recent limited popularity, their tired of the brass hassle, most are not willing to pay the outrageous prices their corporate greed demands for their factory loaded shells, and I don't blame them one bit for NOT chambering new barrels for this cartridge... So if it's considered to be in the emergency room on life support it't Remington's fault !!

In my opinion, the 300 RUM is the best All round 30 Cal cartridge. Especially if on a limited budget
and able to only have one or two rifles.

It can be loaded from 30/06 performance to near 30/378 performance. It can effectively use all .30 caliber bullets with very good efficiency with a wide variety of powders.

Barrel life can be good if common sense loads and velocities are used along with good barrel maintenance.

Loaded ammo is available along with brass so there is still a future for this cartridge even though Remington seems to have abandoned it along with other great cartridges.

I for one, will always have at least one 300 rum because of its versatility and performance and the ability to take any game in North America.

With all Of the "Designer" cartridges with catchy names that are being talked about that are really
no better, the big RUM will not only survive, it will last, as many of the great cartridges have.

J E CUSTOM

Remington hasn't made ammo 1-2 years still produce many models of 300 ultra mag? Would think it would be in there best interest keep producing ammo for it. Logic of private company while Ruger public traded company keeps on getting better and better

I totally agree with JE Customs .. the 300 RUM is basically a do all cartridge. Not even close to dead!!! 230gr berger @3050fps av outta 26" barrel not much hangs with that!!!
Sure the 338 is a bigger badder caliber but at cost of more recoil and heavier rifles. I love the big 338's don't get me wrong and i have several of those as well but when looking for a do it all one round fits all scenarios type of cartridge the 300 RUM does it and no one can in their right mind argue that!!!!
Its one of the most popular and versatile LR elk and deer cartridges out here in the west. Brass Is really no worse for cost than anything else in its case capacity realm and really cheap compared to Freaking weatherby brass!
Doesn't take fire forming to make your brass like a 30-338 lapua improved. Now with Tuff Bertram making brass as well as good Norma stuff for perfect reloads, Factory ammo can be found for it anywhere it really is in a league of its own without going wildcat!

DEAD ,,,,, HA HA no way in HELL!!!! I will always have at least One if not more at any given time in my personal collection

With the heavy high BC bullets out there and more on the way.
I think the RUM will come back into play as a top performer.
The 225 ELD, 215 and 230 Berger hybrids and the rumor of a 245 grain Berger coming out, it will nip the heals of the 338s especially if it's a 1-9 twist...
I'm considering a 1-8.5 or 1-9" twist RUM barrel for my Savage 110 when the 7mag barrel needs replaced.

Brass made by R-P, it was totally sold out then refilled the sold out, then refilled. It does look like Remington discontinued the brass. To offset that, Hornady started making it.

Loads are being made by every the big makers and the new guys as well. On In stock ammo, guns, magazines, and reloading supplies there are hundreds loaded ammo options, multiple pages at 100 per page.

I have 2.

The boutique brass makers Jamison and Bertram will make brass.

The RUM isn't going anywhere for a long long time.

.........In my opinion, the 300 RUM is the best All round 30 Cal cartridge. Especially if on a limited budget and able to only have one or two rifles.
...........It can be loaded from 30/06 performance to near 30/378 performance. It can effectively use all .30 caliber bullets with very good efficiency with a wide variety of powders.........Barrel life can be good if common sense loads and velocities are used along with good barrel maintenance........J E CUSTOM

A very good response from the pro-side JE.

What round count are you seeing?

DEAD...not anytime soon ! But it may be on life support !! Same thing as everything else "big green" touchs, just look at the list of cartridges they designed and then killed themselves, the list is stunning ... Their little war on reloaders has certainly led fellows into giving this cartridge it's recent limited popularity, their tired of the brass hassle, most are not willing to pay the outrageous prices their corporate greed demands for their factory loaded shells, and I don't blame them one bit for NOT chambering new barrels for this cartridge... So if it's considered to be in the emergency room on life support it't Remington's fault !!

I agree with Frank. I like Remington guns, but there is no doubt they are making terrible decisions and their QC is going downhill. The .300 RUM is probably the best top fuel .30cal magnum on the market but Remington doesn't push it or produce the needed brass and ammo for it. They make dumb moves. I really wish another company that had an emphasis on accuracy and quality would buy them out or just hire a better staff and restore the Remington name to what it use to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.