Is the 300 RUM Dead??

I do hunt the mountains unfortunately lol, need something in the 8.5 pound range and hits like a Kenworth. gun)gun)
I've got a 375h@h that weighs 8# scoped... I about peed myself when I had my brother shooting that one prone as he was getting slid back every time he pulled the trigger. There can be too much of a good thing at times...

Survival of the fittest and most responsive to consumer needs is kind of the American way I think. Kodak was a blue chip company in 1990. Now....hmmmmm.
TWA parlayed massive govt contracts into a huge empire......not many people fly TWA nowadays except for WWII re-enactments.
Lots of companies have historically ****ed on their customers for wartime profiteering.
Many of them are no longer with us.
**** on your core customer base long enough because of an artificially inflated war time demand and smaller companies will retool and slaughter you if you don't take care of your core business.
Look at the number of BOUTIQUE ammo makers that have exploded in market share the last 15 yrs.
Crap on your CORE market long enough and see what happens.
If you would have told me ammo and brass would be easier to find with a Black Hills or HSM label than Federal, Remmy or Winny and I would have laughed you outa the room.
Remington alone has murdered the RUMs, SAUMs and is in the process of killing off the 260 if they keep it up.
Big corporate American gun makers have really sh1t in their dinner plate the last 15 yrs and I wont forget it and I'm sure many others won't as well.
Lapua used to be a niche player in the USA, Savage was a junk gun, Tikka was about as popular as New Coke and Hornady was a BOUTIQUE type outfit not too long ago.
Remmy, Winny and Ruger have ****sed away a huge % of market share for a 10 yr boom in military contracts. A lot of companies who did that in the last 100 yrs have found themselves out of business once the temporary inflated market is gone.
Good lord man, it isn't "war time profiteering". We have a limited amount of manufacturing capability in the US. When we go to war a big chunk of it always goes over to the necessary production of goods needed to support the war effort.

The "American Way" isn't to sit around and whine like spoiled children because we can't have everything we want the moment we want it.

The "American Way" is that we act like grownups and accept that there will be times when for the good of the nation itself civilian wants will have to give way to military needs.

Hornady has never been a "Boutique" manufacturer, they have since their inception provided quality ammunition, components and reloading gear at prices that have allowed those of us who are not financially blessed to have access to very good ammunition, components, and reloading gear at prices we can afford.

It all started when Joyce Hornady got fed up with not being able to find good, reliable, accurate hunting bullets and grew from there.

I've been an Ultra guy since before they were commercially brought out. Lapua brass was too much $$$$. Just bought my 1st 338 Lapua and will probably never build another Ultra based rig or any other rig I cant build on Lapua brass. Lapua brass is actually cheaper than any domestic now......oh and it doesn't SUCK!
Well no this isn't true. Hornady, Silver State Armory, and Winchester are all producing brass that is considerably less expensive than Lapua.

I do hunt the mountains unfortunately lol, need something in the 8.5 pound range and hits like a Kenworth. gun)gun)
My Model 70 Classic Stainless .300 Rum sits in a McMillan Fiberglass stock and comes in around 8lbs scoped. My others are Senderos and to be honest I enjoy shooting the Model 70 more than the others. When you go light with a Rum though, you have got to put the right brake or suppressor on it to keep it from beating you up pretty badly.

I agree about the trend to go smaller now a days. I also agree that a smaller cartridge has a hard time competing in the long range hunting game.
Example: this year I made a horrible mistake while hunting, a total bone headed rookie move. I got bull fever and dialed 1 moa wind the wrong way!!! At a little over 800 yards that put the 415 grain .408 Cheytac bullet into the back of the rib cage. A 140 gr Berger VLD from 6.5 Creedmore would have twice the wind deflection, this would have resulted in a gut shot animal.
I believe that just because you can doesn't mean you should, and I usually plan worst case. This usually means go bigger for me. It payed off for me in this scenario.
Now, am I saying that a .408 is needed...good grief no! I'm looking into downgrading, to one of the super .375's. Ha!
If I had the budget to do so I would absolutely own at least one .375 Cheytac. The ballistics on that thing are just incredible.

If I had the budget to do so I would absolutely own at least one .375 Cheytac. The ballistics on that thing are just incredible.

Come now, you do have the budget...it's all those rifles you have collecting dust and not being utilized!:D
I am selling my .338 Edge to fund this venture. I am just a lowly Sergeant First Class so I don't exactly have money running out of my ears, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

To everyone talking about us being at war and that's where all the ammo/components are going, that's not the big part of it. It's all the "aid" or "support" that we give other nations. That would far exceed anything we use, and actually takes away from us. On my last deployment we had a shortage of .50 cal ammo because they took 100,000 rounds from us and gave it to another country elsewhere...not like we didn't need it.

Cool posts, a little out there but interesting. The point has been covered well for sure. I would add a muzzle brake for sure, an 8.5 pound 300 RUM will kick the stuffings out of a guy, I have a braked and non- braked 300 win mag and its not bad to shoot but the RUM yikes. :D

Ya a 300 Rum with a side discharge brake is pretty **** tame. I can easily stay in the scope and my 12 year old handled it nicely.

Come now, you do have the budget...it's all those rifles you have collecting dust and not being utilized!:D
I am selling my .338 Edge to fund this venture. I am just a lowly Sergeant First Class so I don't exactly have money running out of my ears, I'm sure you can appreciate that.

To everyone talking about us being at war and that's where all the ammo/components are going, that's not the big part of it. It's all the "aid" or "support" that we give other nations. That would far exceed anything we use, and actually takes away from us. On my last deployment we had a shortage of .50 cal ammo because they took 100,000 rounds from us and gave it to another country elsewhere...not like we didn't need it.

That's me. Fewer rifles, higher quality.

Well no this isn't true. Hornady, Silver State Armory, and Winchester are all producing brass that is considerably less expensive than Lapua.

I meant in a large hull such as the RUM. Norma RUM is the only truly commonly available stuff and its as high for RUM as the Lapua stuff is. Factor in how many loadings and 338 Lapua brass is cheaper per shot than 338 Edge any way ya slice it. Hence I have gone Finnish and don't see me going back.

I meant in a large hull such as the RUM. Norma RUM is the only truly commonly available stuff and its as high for RUM as the Lapua stuff is. Factor in how many loadings and 338 Lapua brass is cheaper per shot than 338 Edge any way ya slice it. Hence I have gone Finnish and don't see me going back.
And it's still not true. Hornady is making .300 RUM brass and it's available on the shelves right now at 2.50pr/rd.

And it's still not true. Hornady is making .300 RUM brass and it's available on the shelves right now at 2.50pr/rd.

Yeah and it will last 5 loads versus 10 for a Lapua.
So $2.50/5=.50
$3.00/10=.30
It may be CHEAPER but it doesn't cost less.
Oh and Midway has Lapua at $250 per 100 at times.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.