Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

I was never a huge fan, but found a weatherby in 243 for a steal a few years ago and set my BIL up with his first rifle. I load for him and I've come to like the cartridge. My biggest complaint is the 10 twist makes using the bullets I prefer difficult.

I understand for the average hunter shooting 80-100gr core lokt or Walmart federal it doesn't really matter.

He's had no issues with terminal performance, and the recoil is nice for a new shooter to not be scared of it and it's not difficult to spot shots long range.

It's not my first choice, but it seems like a very good choice.

TLDR warning It was too long to type so it's probably to long to read.
Once again I was literally watching paint dry so you, the reader, are my current victim.
Contains portions of brain vomit, as well as esoteric and eclectic information that may cause mental hemorrhaging. You have been warned ;-)

@hrhunter I have a "short" story for you.
A .303 British lover was reduced to living in a straight wall state.
What do you do when you have an excess of 303 bolt, single shot rifles and brass?
303 brass like any other has a finite use life.
The usual failure is a neck split.
Cut off the case at 1.8"
OD is .410, ID is .375 ish
Good selection of jacketed and lead bullets in .375
Expand, trim, chamfer, bell mouth (for lead) to .375 minus (neck tension)
Full length size in a 303 die.
Seat with a modified .303 die.
If you don't know about precision drill bushings now id the time.
Finish by forcing a .410 minus ID bushing over the neck.
Loading should follow .375 Winchester bottom end loadings.
He calls it .303 British "short" .

The chamber was arrived at by placing a .375 bushing over the end of a select bushing 303 reamer.
Instead of plunging the full 2.222" the reamer was only driven to 1.8"
The .422" shoulder setback may seem excessive but these were not bored out from .3125 barrels.
These were .375 blanks.

What does this have to do with owning a .243 and hunting with a 350 Legend? Nothing.
What does this have to do with straight wall? Everything.

The parent cartridge for the .243 is the 7.62x51 or .308 Win (argue amongst yourselves about the differences, I don't need or want to hear it)
Cut it off to 1.56"
Expand to .451-452"
Use heavy pistol bullets.
Seat with pistol die.
Loading should be similar to .454 Casull. The primer becomes the limiting factor before the parent case.

Ream chamber as in the above example and adjust with a .470 straight ream.
Note: This chamber could be cut with a straight .470 reamer if you had some way to center it.
The near nonexistent body taper may pose a problem.
The details are in the case thickness at the 1.56" case length.

Ream, neck size, neck tension, and head space as appropriate.

Of course , YMMV and if you don't own or have access to the equipment it probably isn't worth it.
If you don't reload, same thing.
Magazines will have need of spacers.
The beauty of all of this is the rifle can be returned to original by simply replacing the barrel.

Thinking about a 35 whelen which is now legal.

I'd do more than think about it.
The 35's have the advantage of all those pistol bullets at .358" , the Whelen is no exception.
Just ask any varmint that has met my .35 Remington 141 loaded with 125gr 357 magnum pistol bullets. Oh, that's right, all were turned into baloney mist so you cant ask them.
Suffice to say pistol bullets moving 800 F/sec more than intended have unique terminal effects.
Monolithic solids (redundant?) in the 165-175gr weights should be available and have much better external ballistics than traditional cup and core bullets.

Have I worn you out yet?

I wish someone would have started me on a 243 instead of a 30-06, but all's well that ends well. Just finished setting up one for my son with the help of some LRH members. (Thank you gentlemen)
Rem 700 243 compact, magpul chassis and magpul DBM, Nikon pro staff. And my Walmart, Rural King, and LGS still carry 243 all the time so that's nice for now.

Attachments

• IMG_2833.jpeg
    IMG_2833.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
I have one that loves IMR 4064 and 85 gr Sierra bthp Game Kings. I've killed big Kansas deer with a single shot again and again, all but one died within sight. Never lost a deer with that little gun, don't shoot it much any more. My 28 Nosler is the one I generally pick up for deer and elk, I might pack another one, but haven't shot much else for game lately.

After I wrote that I was thinking about a 35 Whelen, I stopped by the local gun shop and bought one but haven't picked it up yet. We will see how the 180 Barnes works in it.
the whelen can handle a lot more than a 180. I run a 220 speer fp or a 225 tsx through my Ruger in whelen. I've played with the 259 Hammer bullets; they are fine too.

Last edited:
A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
Great? Yes! Best? Arguable.

And then,.. Squeezed it back down and ADDED, the 30* shoulder, to create,.. the PERFECT, Deer / Antelope, Cartridge,.. the 6.5 Creedmoor !
Yup,.. I succumbed to, One of, these Baby's ! And,.. My Man bun, is growing,.. longer !
And someone necked it down to make the 6mm Creedmoor.
IMO, It's an improved 243 using 1:8 twist instead of 1:10 which give the opportunity to load heavier high B.C. bullet that you can load at mag length.

Recent Posts