Is the 243 the best whitetail deer cartridge?

Dang!
Over 300 replies to this POST on the .243 Winchester.
Pretty popular cartridge for Deer.
The .243 Win is our Favorite Deer Cartridge.
We had a matching pair of Rem 700s Mountain DM in wood. 7mm08 and a .243. Still have the .243 and put it in a Bell & Carlson Stock with a Nikon Monarch Gold 2.5 X 10 X 50 (nice light carry rifle). Loading with Lapua Brass H-4350 and Sierra 100gr SGK. Shoots 1/2" MOA.
Jill's rifle for Deer, BUT I always try to sneak it away on hunts.

Attachments

• Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    Rem 700 Mountain DM -243.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 35
A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
I dunno.....last year I gave my brother my Ruger M77 tang safety in 257 Roberts with a Bartein screwed on it that shoots 115gr Partitions into about 5/8" all day long. He had shoulder surgery and then used it this deer season and really liked the light recoil and how well the Partition worked. I'm not saying it's the best, but that rifle should dispatch any North American whitetail deer to 500+ yards with minimal effect on the shooter.

The wonderful & omnipresent .243 Win has won numerous competitions and killed many deers. I would be confident in using my 8-twist .243W chambered for 2.8+ COAL rounds for 600 NRA targets with 105-107 match bullets and any size deer with solid copper tipped bullets. I have shot many rodents using the 87 VMax thru the 8 twist.

I
A little background, my father in law debated me one time, 243 is the best deer cartridge. I said, naw, it's the 30-06. He said no way, the 243 kills them just as dead, sweetest shooting cartridge with no recoil, and very flat and fast.

Shortly after that, I 'd gotten on a lease and bought a 243 as a back up to my trusty 30-06 and for my father in law to use when I took him as my guest. Well guess what? I've come to believe he's right. I've shot deer with calibers up to 375H&H and pistol calibers 45 ACP and 41 magnum and nothing kills deer as quickly as that 243.

Since then I bought a small frame 243 Tikka T3 for my kids to use as their first deer rifle. That gun is a tack driver and kills deer dead right there. It's light, smooth action, relatively inexpensive, sized right for kids and comes with shims to grow with them. My buddy took his youngest of three sons out to hunt his first deer this weekend. Borrowed that 243. One shot, DRT! Loved the gun.

Just more proof in my mind that my father in law was right. The 243 is the best deer cartridge. I don't know what it is, speed? sweet-spot diameter of bullet? Just the right amount of energy? Love to hear others' thoughts and reactions, both pro and con!
Im waiting for the impala eating popcorn from you know who!!!!!

I question the merit of your "Trusty 30-06" if you had to bring a backup rifle lol!! Both fantastic deer rifles if you put the bullet where it needs to be.

In My personal opinion is this. Its a very good deer cartridge. and It the right hands, it can and will take deer very well. No doubt about that, and if you dislike recoil, its a great choice................... but it's not a 270 Win.
25-06, 270, 30-06, 35 Whelen. Keep it in that family and there isn't much in North America that one of those can't take care of....

My daughter hammered this buck on Friday with her .243. Blood trail (25 yards) looked like someone knocked over a red paint can. The hog she dropped in its tracks last week agrees that the .243 is an excellent choice :)

Attachments

• 30D6D810-3DCC-49E3-8C5F-9848AEDD6B48.jpeg
    30D6D810-3DCC-49E3-8C5F-9848AEDD6B48.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 58
  • C3DD0AF8-BAD3-42F2-A28E-D7B5DDCEBD7E.jpeg
    C3DD0AF8-BAD3-42F2-A28E-D7B5DDCEBD7E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 52
  • C3041C71-0FAB-4515-8513-969C76935A8A.jpeg
    C3041C71-0FAB-4515-8513-969C76935A8A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 53