Is a 9lb rifle too heavy? Opinions?

Nope, not heavy at all. I carry a 9.5lb. 300WM in the backcountry. Could I go lighter? Probably, but recoil increases with the lighter weight.

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.
with 9 lbs I hope you have a good sling. Slings and heavy rifles go together. What caliber? a 9lb 308 heavy. a 91b 338 not bad. a 9lb 458 Winchester. Good. I do not like light rifles they hurt. my heavy Sendero in 2506 is a delight to shoot. all day.

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.
Have a McMillan TAC 338 w5.5x22NF,bipod, fully loaded,14lds+-,carried in Wyoming for elk. Steep terrain, slow and steady ,took lots of breaks, but when I got to my hide, owned the canyon!

Sounds like a light build rifle! My Sendero weighs a lot more and I refuse to weigh it that way I can say it probably weighs 7.5 lbs. :eek:

My light rifle comes in at 9.1 lbs including optic and ammo. I don't have any desire to go lighter. Maybe if I was chasing sheep or goats above treeline, but for elk and mulies in western MT, 9 is fine.

I took a 9.5 Lb .300 Wby Mag to Africa and had the "opportunity" to stalk a group of Eland 12.5 miles one day...that rifle got heavy. Using it in the stands and short walks has always been A-OK in the past. On that particular stalk, aint gonna lie, wish I had the 7 Lb CT Carbon Edge:)!

My preferred rifle weight is 10 - 11 pounds. I typically walk/hike 3 - 15 miles a day. I'm not a particularly big dude and I'm easily in the worst shape of my life (although I'm still in the green of a BMI chart, haha). But the 11 pound rifle has never been a problem.

Lightweight and long range just don't mix all that well.

Lol. I packed a 14 lb rifle on an 8 mile round trip deer hunt that included 5,000 ft elevation either up or down and a boned out deer coming back out with us. My "easy" mule deer hunt is usually a minimum of 6 miles round trip that includeds 1,000 ft elevation change. 200 yards max? I wouldn't sneeze at carrying a Barrett that far.

I did recently build a 9 lb 1 oz rifle for taking on those hunts though. But ya, if I was only going 200 yards, I would put my rifle in the 10-14 lb range, heavier guns may be harder to pack, but they are easier to shoot.

Back in the 80's when I went to Africa I brought a 375H&H Whitworth Express rifle, and a 500-450 H&H Double Rifle, each weighing +10 pounds. Those rifles were carried all day for several days at a time in temperatures as high as 90 degrees. initially, it seemed like a radical increase from my Sporters, and for sure my lever carbines, frequently used in the wooded areas of the Northeast. Slung, with a straight arm support, with hand inverted under the butt, there was no shoulder pressure.. After a couple of days adjusting, rifle weight became un-noticed, and has never been much of a factor for me since. For me, well balanced rifle weight aides in shooting stability.

My hunting partners and I all have 10+ lb rifles up to 13 and pack in on our backs. All high country, rocky, steep crap .... that we absolutely love :) Only you know your limits. If you can shoot a 7lb 338 edge as well as a 12lb one, more power to you

Ps, if you are western high country hunting, you should be able to pack your hunting partner 200 yds ;)

I hunted for years with a 10 lb. rifle. I still can, but when I had a little extra money I invested in a Browning Ti 7mm WSM. It weighs 6-1/4 with scope and sling. A joy to carry, and I load it down so it is also fine to shoot. It will do everything my Rem 700 did. If you're hunting out west, I recommend walking with a pack to get in shape. If you have to track one, you'll be glad you did.

Invest in a Safari sling. By far the most comfortable way to carry a rifle. It does require perfect muzzle discipline. I don't let newbies hunt with me with safari slings. I don't know how far you intend to shoot, but a Leupold 3.5-10 has always worked for me. I shot an elk at 340 yards, using a 2-7x. I hate heavy scopes.

I hunted for years with a 10 lb. rifle. I still can, but when I had a little extra money I invested in a Browning Ti 7mm WSM. It weighs 6-1/4 with scope and sling. A joy to carry, and I load it down so it is also fine to shoot. It will do everything my Rem 700 did. If you're hunting out west, I recommend walking with a pack to get in shape. If you have to track one, you'll be glad you did.

Invest in a Safari sling. By far the most comfortable way to carry a rifle. It does require perfect muzzle discipline. I don't let newbies hunt with me with safari slings. I don't know how far you intend to shoot, but a Leupold 3.5-10 has always worked for me. I shot an elk at 340 yards, using a 2-7x. I hate heavy scopes.
Why get a 7wsm then load it down?

I was torn between a 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM. I went with the WSM in case I everI needed more velocity. I haven't ever needed more velocity, so I would have been just as happy with the 7mm-08. Americans are magnum happy, and the 6.5CR is demonstrating that it isn't necessary. Maybe if you're shooting at 1000 yards, but I don't.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.