Is a 9lb rifle too heavy? Opinions?

I was torn between a 7mm-08 and 7mm WSM. I went with the WSM in case I everI needed more velocity. I haven't ever needed more velocity, so I would have been just as happy with the 7mm-08. Americans are magnum happy, and the 6.5CR is demonstrating that it isn't necessary. Maybe if you're shooting at 1000 yards, but I don't.
Isn't necessary!? Did I accidentally click on the shortrangehunting.com forum?!

I'm just amazed at how often I see this question asked???? Like so many others on here have said, "it really doesn't matter what they say, what do you say or think?" It all comes down to YOUR physical condition & that's all. It doesn't matter what I think or anyone else thinks. Can you carry your 9 lb. rifle or your 15 lb. rifle? I'm 62 yrs, old & hunt wilderness/back country with a backpack & I've never carried a rifle that didn't weigh at least 11 lbs. Now I'm carrying one that weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 lbs. Could I carry a lighter one, probably so, but I carry what I want to carry. Never been a fan of "lighter is better" phenomenon, in packs, sleeping bags, boots, tents, or anything else. Not trying to be overly critical, just my two cents worth. But in the end, it all comes down to you & your choice, best wishes.

I'd say its kinda up the the individual,I use a M-1-A and a Atacr 7x35x56 when I go to Texas hog hunting,but if it gets too heavy I always use my carry pistol Spfld 911-10mm. Kinda like to use different guns on a hunt,but that's just me. Always have options!

All good posts for sure...

My hunting and shooting sports over the years have been mostly 10 ish lb'ers,,, some heavier others a bit lighter,,, I'm pretty sure that I'm going to knock off a lb or 2 on my next build...

The 7 1/2 ish rule is starting to sloooowly look apealling to me these days,,, i got to track a wounded WT buck this fall threw the thickest crap I've been in in years,,, it wasn't fun trudging through the buck-brush with my 13 lb 24" medium heavy barrel... i covered 3 to 4 miles of it before I got the buck... pretty happy for that,,, but what a job packing the canon... ha

It was much easier to do this 20 or 30 years ago...

Yuppers,,, a bit lighter rifle,,, smaller optic,,, and shorter barrel,,, I'll build a left hander in a SA action and call it good...

I dont want to go to light,,, but definitely not to heavy and long... more of the middle ground of being able to hit the pie plate at 2 and 400 meters would be nice... lol

My plan this year it to modify the hunting rifle i have,,, then start another back-up build...

Cheers from the North

If tis is what your built like , maybe!
imgres.jpg

A lot has to do with you.

My last back country backpacking elk hunt, I carried a 14lb 338 Edge and came out with meat. 6 miles one way.

That said it is a heavy gun and I don't always require that range. So I have a 12lb 300WM which was my former long range rig, which I am rebuilding into a lighter gun so I have a more packable mid-range option (600 yards).

My RUM is 13.5 lb and my mountain gun ( witch I will admit I carry more than just packing in more often all the time) is a 7lb 7oz Number and REALLY like packing it.
Both those wts. Are scopes and loaded with extra rounds in stock cheek piece pouch.

At least we have options,,, if the rifle is way to lite its hard to sometimes get a clean shot off with out blowing our shoulder off from recoil,,,, to heavy and we're worn out before we get to where we're going... ha...

The evils of both ideas...

I had 4 land canons over the last 5/ 7 years,,, now I'm down to 2,,, when I get this mid weigth rifle built and range tested I'll boot 1 of the 2...

I agree,,, with 1 of the ideas when it comes to a mid-weigth unit,,, choose a Short action case and tap it kool on the led leaving the barrel,,, """hopefully""" it tames some of the recoil...

I'm pretty sure I'll end up with a 308 Winchester shooting 150/165gr bullets out of a 20 or 22" pipe... even if it comes in at 8 ish lbs I'll still be styling...

PS: I'll still own 1 land canon for the shooting range and preditor control,,, that way I won't forget what its like to man-handle a 2 ton rifle,,, lol...

More to follow when i plan my idea out over the week...

Cheers from the North.

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.
As you can see by the responses, you're in the lighter weight region for a quality hunting rifle. Not a bad build. But for what you described for a truck gun, 200 yard sit and glass, you wouldn't think an 11 pounder is an issue. Slap some quality glass on it and never look at this as heavy for that kind of hunting. You won't even break a sweat....

For Sure !!!

You can always """weigth-up""" a lighter rifle if you decide to by adding things such as Harrison Bypod,,, a larger optic,,, rear stock ammo pouch,,, thick leather sling,,, i know that it doesn't seem like much in the list,,,, but it can quickly add 1 to 2 pounds pretty fast...

The opposite for a heavy rifle,,, but at the end of the day its still a tank to pack on those short rucks into the wildness even though our plan is to not travel that far... Ha...

How many times have we said this to our selves as find out we're hunting further away from the road or end up in tracking mode...

I also agree with the idea of quicky getting the rifle of our choice to swing into action slow & smooth especially if your doing the tree stand thing,,, light weight and sub compact really shine in the tree stands since you would be going from a total relaxed situation to game getter... of course it depends on your stregths and weakness,,, i know 1 thing,,, I ain't as tuff as i use to be...

I like my powder puff days now,,, being a cup cake has improved my quality of hunting and scouting since I enjoy covering a bit of ground """once""" in awhile,,, i can keep packing my 12.9 lb all in rifle,,, but its become'ing old news especially after this years excursion wacking my middle age body,,, lite-hip pack and rifle on a search and destroy mission to track down a wounded WT,,, dam those critters can cover some ground threw some nasty stuff...

I'd have to say that ballerina Don is more like pork-chop,,, stumble- foot,,, 2-ton Tony these days,,, i was just like a bull-dozer plowing a trail threw the forest,,, Mr stelth mode was out the door after the 2 creek crossings and 3 rolly-hills... Ha...

I would think that none of us really plan for things when they go south,,, and when they do its sure nice to have tools & equitment that we can use in a pinch...

Don't get me right or wrong as its each person's idea and plan that allows us to hopefully find the """medium""" of both worlds,,, kinda like finding the 1 gun that does it all...

I know that my light-weight rifle thing is not going to be a range rifle,,, what it lacks in that department it will make up for on the hunting grounds,,, a bit easier to pack and alot easier on my back... i would of never said this last year or 20 to 39 years ago,,, my how things change...

One thing I know,,, if my new build coming up is to lite to keep accuracy,,, i can always beef it up with lots of add-ons... even if i have to put it back in the wood stock with the 2 1/2 lb glass optic...

200 yards in elk country can be straight and flat or too steep to navigate safely. (And what goes down generally has to go back up.) I prefer lighter if humping the hills all day.

In general, no, 9 lbs is not too heavy if 200 yards is as far as you're going to go, assuming you are in decent physical shape..

I had Alex put a 24" krieger #4 contour 6.5 284 on my winchester m70 in a manners eh2 stock. It has a bushnell 3-12 lrti scope and comes in about 10lbs. I put a ferro concepts sling that attaches on my stock with front left and rear right flush cup on the buttstock. this allows you to snug the rifle to the front of your chest and seems to really lessen the weight of the rifle. Thanks again for the great work on this gun Alex! It is by far my favorite rifle. Bart
Black Bart, which sling did you use, I have a Bergara B14 HMR for my Grandson graduation present, it has the flush cups in the stock. I have a Blackhawk three point on my AR, but would like to hear what other brands are used for that type of hold. Thanks.

My build will be a Remington lite-sporter contour in a Wildcat Vartec stock in a short action...

I'll throw my Leopold 3x9 on it to get started,,,, I'm sure I'll find a lite-weight FFP later on...

A simple fast build with what i have kicking around

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.