Is a 9lb rifle too heavy? Opinions?

I pack a 13.5lb rifle all over the hills in North Idaho. 6 mile hikes in steep terrain is common. What I have found is that my choice of sling has everything to do with controlling the weight. Try a few and see what works for you.
To me this sounds like the deciding factor on what you can actually carry comfortably. What sling choices do you use or recommend?

Black Bart, which sling did you use, I have a Bergara B14 HMR for my Grandson graduation present, it has the flush cups in the stock. I have a Blackhawk three point on my AR, but would like to hear what other brands are used for that type of hold. Thanks.
The sling is made by ferro concepts. It is a 2pt sling. I had a flush cup installed on the front left side of the forarm and the back right side of the butt stock. This type of sling allows for carrying the gun strapped across your chest muzzle down.

My long range rifles are all 10-15 lbs. Not many average guys can shoot light rifles well enough for long range accuracy.

9 lbs isn't too heavy to me. I carry a 9-3/4 lb rifle in the mountains. I'd like to go lighter but this seems to be a pretty nice balance as 200 gr bullets have some thump to them.

Heavier Rifles, generally speaking, are steadier to shoot than a light weight one, at least that's the way it seems to me. Most, if not all of my rifles, are in that weight category or heavier and I hunt elk in the mountains, on foot, in Western Montana every year. I'm 57 years old and a little plump as well. If you are only carrying it 200 yards at a time the weight should not be a problem at all. Good luck and shoot us some pictures of your new toy!

Hey guys I had a recent post on my new rifle build, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on whether they thought a 9lb rifle was too heavy. When I built this rifle it was intended to take out west on a elk hunt or similar. I have not physically had the scope and mounts off of the rifle to get bare weight, however leupold s website says the scope weights about 22.8oz and rings are 3.9oz. Do you all think a 9lb rifle scopes and loaded is too heavy for tree stand/ground blind/truck hunt? No excessive walking, no more than 200 yards to and from my hunting location.
Andrew I guess weight is really up to you ,personally it has never bothered me,I use a Ruger 25-06 with a bull barrel with Nightforce Atacr when I go to British Columbia to hunt sheep.never weighed it but I figure its close to 15 lbs.

Andrew I guess weight is really up to you ,personally it has never bothered me,I use a Ruger 25-06 with a bull barrel with Nightforce Atacr when I go to British Columbia to hunt sheep.never weighed it but I figure its close to 15 lbs.
I used to use a twelve pound rifle. Then something strange happened. I got old. I think I caught it from my mom when she tasted my food to see if it was too hot when I was a baby.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.