Introductory posts and a build log...

StumpyJohnson

Hello everyone! Glad to be here!

About me...

I'm a paint sipping, window licker who has decided to build himself a custom rifle based on ignorance and too much internet research.

I humbly submit myself to your ridicule and criticisms as I attempt to learn a bit and maybe end up with a usable rifle as I turn my credit cards into molten piles of regret and a negative fico score.

I come from a long line of firearm enthusiast's, and I have managed to shoot a savage 12 lrp to 1000 meters on freedom seeds I made myself. I've yet to be able to stalk closer than a quarter mile to a antlered deer other than when I'm emptying the garbage at my rural northern California home.

So...I'm headed down the road to financial ruin by building a custom rifle, hopefully without a gunsmith. Again I'm a glue sniffing, mouth breather...so it will be a miracle if I remember to feed myself along the way.

My hope is that your pity for me will be so overwhelming that you cannot help but attempt to point me in the right direction.

I have a thick skin, a strong back, and a weak mind...do not hold back, tell me when I'm pooping the bed.

About the build...

I'm selling a few guns in order to fund this project, I'm a fairly poor shot, and i do a bit of reloading... my decisions are based on a dash of experience and calibers I have components/equipment to reload.

Oh, and I like it when bullets go real fast.

My goal is a versatile rifle for medium to long range hunting/target shooting. My ideal system lends itself well to caliber changes and rebarreling without the need of a gunsmith while being more accurate than anything one might buy at a bass pro shop.

The specifics...

Caliber:
26 and 28 nosler.

Action: Terminus LA, Magnum bolt face, Quick change barrel system. I've contacted Joel and will order 4/4/22 when he is available for a phone call. Price: TBD.

Stock:
Ag composites Adjustable Hunter
Hand: right hand
Long Short: long action
Action: Terminus Zeus
Metal: Hawkins Precision M5 DBM
Barrel: M24/Proof Sendero
Color: Swamper Rogue (Black, Green, Gray)
Note:
2 QD Cups (left side)
Picatinny Forend Rail 4"

I've confirmed the above configuration, and lead time was stated as 12 - 14 weeks. oOof... Price: $883.75.

Bottom Metal:
Hawkins Precision Long Action Hunter. I cannot find this in stock so far... Price: TBD

Magazine:
Hawkins Precision Hunter Magazine (Long Action). Already ordered from Altus. Shipped today. Price: $117 ish

Barrel:
Im looking to start with a steel barrel in 26 nosler or 28, hadn't planned on buying both at once. Although there may be a cost savings to buy two?? Proof research carbon fiber also a consideration. M24/Proof sendero profile. 03/02/22 - Ordered 2 Carbon barrels from preferred barrel blanks. One in 28 nosler, one in 26. Both 24". Threaded in 5/8 - 24. Paid to have them both lapped. Lead time 8 - 10 weeks (Or longer). Price: $1,848.22

Muzzle Brake:
Area 419 HELLFIRE Self Timing Brake System. Ordered from Altus, shipped today. Price: $170-ish.

Trigger: Timney "The Hit" Remington 700 Trigger. I hope this will be similar to the snappy things on my Grandad's old deer rifle. Price: $209-ish.

Total thus far: $3238.94

What am I doing wrong? What would you do differently? Recommendations on suppliers always considered. Remember I can barely pack my own lunch everyday.

But I'll read the poop out of the internet.

I welcome opinions, but prefer they are based on experience, specifics appreciated. In all seriousness I appreciate you making it this far into the post.

Last edited:
What about barrel profiles? If the stock is inlet for m24, a medium palma would likely fit with a bit of extra room at the foregrip of the stock right? I'm sure I could sand any interference away, but I hoped the m24 might allow for all but the heaviest of barrel profiles...thoughts?

The shank on an M24 is 1.200" whereas the shank on a medium palms is 1.250". Otherwise the medium palma diameter is less than the M24.

Not sure if you are helped by this, but…what are you shooting? What weight of bullet do you want on target? What velocity do you want to shoot? IMO, these things are bullet launchers and you have to build around the bullet and velocity target.

At the other end, what weight of rifle do you want? What balance point? How will you carry it?

What stocks have you tried? What did you like? Dislike? What length of pull works best for you? What comb shape do you prefer?

So...I'm headed down the road to financial ruin by building a custom rifle, hopefully without a gunsmith. Again I'm a glue sniffing, mouth breather...so it will be a miracle if I remember to feed myself along the way.
Based on this description, I would suggest a gunsmith….seriously. They know how to get the performance out of each component. These don't snap together like legos….and deliver top performance.

Caliber: 26 and 28 nosler.
Interesting, but remember most SAAMI reamers are wing clipped by existing actions, bullets and standard twit rates. IMO, you want the smallest case that delivers your bullet from the muzzle at 2800 - 3200 fps. 3100 and above has a serious barrel life issue, I read.

Stock: Ag composites Adjustable Hunter
Cool, but how did you get there? Also, you can get an M24 profile stock profile….or you can pay a few bucks for a pro to fit it and look custom.

How did you choose this stock?

My goal is a versatile rifle for medium to long range hunting/target shooting. My ideal system lends itself well to caliber changes and rebarreling without the need of a gunsmith while being more accurate than anything one might buy at a bass pro shop.
What weight do you want? How far will you shoot on average? Max? How do you hunt? High country backpack? low country from a stand or truck? Other?

First, there is so much fantastic in your post that I want to thank you for taking the time to learn me a bit. Truly, thank you.

Now I'll try to answer these questions as much for myself as to you.

1. I hope to shoot some deer, a pig, maybe an elk, but quite a bit of steel too. I would like to take game, but I want to make sure I'm prepared for the aftermath of the kill before attempting it. Honor the animal whose life I took. At the end of the day I like shooting.

2. I've heard there is magic in a 6.5 caliber bullet in the 140grn weight. That said I'll shoot non-lead. So, I'd like to target 125ish grn for the 26 nosler for everything but elk. If I can get consistent accuracy at 3200 - 3300 fps I'll be happy.

For the 28 I'd be looking at the 150grn mark at 3000-3200 fps to start. My nosler m48 liberty plays well in that range
And I have plenty of components. BUT a 160 to 168 grn pill would be great to explore.

Overall I'll start with the 26 to build out the rifle and learn. Moving into the 28 as I progress.

3. I'm thinking my build will be in the the 8 to 12 pound range. I have the stated weights of the components mostly compiled, and I will update the build log section to project the weights in various configurations as soon as work gives me a moment to breath. I've order the stock with qd cups fore and rear on the left side for sling carriage. I'd like a slightly front heavy balance, balance point at a hands width forward of the trigger guard.

4. I do well with an LOP in the 13.5 to 14.5 range. I prefer slightly shorter, but I'm pretty lanky and long limbed. I shoot best with my elbows close to body, bringing weight to my core when standing. I also wear glasses so some distance between me and the scope is preferred. Prone or otherwise positioned I like to cuddle and drape myself over the rifle. I often find I need to raise the comb of the stock with a cheek piece or adjustable comb.

5. I'm understating my mechanical ability here a bit. I've inlet a wood stock from a blank and bedded a Mauser action with enough success that I'm not ashamed of the result. That said one of my best friends is an extremely accomplished machinist, he can accomplish any gunsmithing to a mechanical drawing. BUT, he wouldn't necessarily have the gunsmiths experience or specific knowledge. That said, he has investigated machining an action from scratch and I believe he can do it. The biggest thing to note here is that I will definitely default to a real gunsmith if either a. Safety is a concern, or b. I risk throwing my investment in the trash.

I am assuming a few things. I'm assuming that I should mostly be able to fit the pieces together and expect a sub MOA rifle. Will I need to massage the stock? Fiddle with the bottom metal? Yes. Will I wish I'd done a few things differently, yes.

I'm ASSUMING i won't need a gunsmith to have a functional rifle though. That's essentially the narrative these manufacturers are pushing. Will I be surprised if I do need a gunsmith to get to sub-moa? No.

6. I'm well aware of the limits that twist rates and SAAMI impose, this is compounded by the long for caliber bullets of copper projectile's. Ive chosen faster than factory twist rates, and intend on sticking to mid weight bullets, ideally keeping a handle on my COAL.

7. I've handled McMillan, h&s, manners and bell and Carlson. I chose the stock without having handled one. They get good reviews. I liked the look so I went with it. I really wanted the new manners lrh, but the lead time is crazy, and I'm HOPING to have this rifle as an option come hunting season. I had it inlet in M24 as I felt that afforded the most options for future barrels. My cf barrels are coming in heavy Palma, which I believe will fit. I'm contemplating Changing the contour of the stock, as it has not entered production yet. I would LOVE opinions on this. Not outrageously concerned with slightly excessive gap or loose fitment here...as long as it mostly fits without excessive work to maintain free float.

8. I want a lighter rifle, 9lbs ish, that is fairly well mannered. That's touchy when we talk about noslers calibers I know. Longer range 300-500 yard shots with absolute confidence, is a milestone goal. I realize this is only partially accomplished by the rifle build. I successfully took a savage 12 lrp (for sale btw) to 1000 meters on loads I personally developed/reloaded. Granted I was shooting about 3 to 4 moa if I remember the math correctly. But I could hit a 4' x 4' steel plate with relative predictability. Beating those numbers with this rifle is another goal. I'd like to think that inside 2 years this rifle could get me to 1500 meters maybe? But I won't be dragging a kestrel, lab radar, and the whole nine yards into the timber. I'd expect a load that's max point blank range out to 350-400 yards or so.

Man this was a long post, but holy cow I appreciate the fact that your questions made me think about my goals to a higher degree. The parts above have already been purchased as noted. I order my action Friday...do you think, from what you've read, I can accomplish my goals as stated? Where am I going to **** the bed?

Your first post is Epic.

A couple of thoughts:

• IMO if you are going to go through the time and expense of a custom build, I would not handicap yourself with a SAAMI chambered prefit barrel. You are handicapping both of those rounds by doing so.
  • Based on my latest build your weight goal with the components you are looking at will likely be unachievable especially with a Palma contour steel barrel and adjustable stock.
My latest build has a Kelbly's long action receiver, AG Composites Visigoth stock (which is one of their lighter ones) Proof barrel, Vortex Razor LHT scope (which is lightest in class @ ~22oz) Arc Rings and Hawkins DBM.

It sits at 9#,10oz with no ammo in the magazine.

I would expect your build to be at least 2# heavier than this setup and that's if you used the same optic.

1C97D20D-1073-4587-BD38-B1B58E257E44.jpeg

Your first post is Epic.

A couple of thoughts:

• IMO if you are going to go through the time and expense of a custom build, I would not handicap yourself with a SAAMI chambered prefit barrel. You are handicapping both of those rounds by doing so.
  • Based on my latest build your weight goal with the components you are looking at will likely be unachievable especially with a Palma contour steel barrel and adjustable stock.
My latest build has a Kelbly's long action receiver, AG Composites Visigoth stock (which is one of their lighter ones) Proof barrel, Vortex Razor LHT scope (which is lightest in class @ ~22oz) Arc Rings and Hawkins DBM.

It sits at 9#,10oz with no ammo in the magazine.

I would expect your build to be at least 2# heavier than this setup and that's if you used the same optic.

View attachment 346174
Beautiful rifle!

According to my math I'm @ ~9.5lbs not included a mag full of rounds, rings, muzzle brake and 4" weaver rail @ fore-end. 10.5 is seaming more likely without sling or tripod should I go that route. The barrels are 24" carbon.

Recent Posts