Introductory posts and a build log...

Hello everyone! Glad to be here!

About me...

I'm a paint sipping, window licker who has decided to build himself a custom rifle based on ignorance and too much internet research.

I humbly submit myself to your ridicule and criticisms as I attempt to learn a bit and maybe end up with a usable rifle as I turn my credit cards into molten piles of regret and a negative fico score.

I come from a long line of firearm enthusiast's, and I have managed to shoot a savage 12 lrp to 1000 meters on freedom seeds I made myself. I've yet to be able to stalk closer than a quarter mile to a antlered deer other than when I'm emptying the garbage at my rural northern California home.

So...I'm headed down the road to financial ruin by building a custom rifle, hopefully without a gunsmith. Again I'm a glue sniffing, mouth breather...so it will be a miracle if I remember to feed myself along the way.

My hope is that your pity for me will be so overwhelming that you cannot help but attempt to point me in the right direction.

I have a thick skin, a strong back, and a weak mind...do not hold back, tell me when I'm pooping the bed.

About the build...

I'm selling a few guns in order to fund this project, I'm a fairly poor shot, and i do a bit of reloading... my decisions are based on a dash of experience and calibers I have components/equipment to reload.

Oh, and I like it when bullets go real fast.

My goal is a versatile rifle for medium to long range hunting/target shooting. My ideal system lends itself well to caliber changes and rebarreling without the need of a gunsmith while being more accurate than anything one might buy at a bass pro shop.

The specifics...

Caliber:
26 and 28 nosler.

Action: Terminus LA, Magnum bolt face, Quick change barrel system. I've contacted Joel and will order 4/4/22 when he is available for a phone call. Price: TBD.

Stock:
Ag composites Adjustable Hunter
Hand: right hand
Long Short: long action
Action: Terminus Zeus
Metal: Hawkins Precision M5 DBM
Barrel: M24/Proof Sendero
Color: Swamper Rogue (Black, Green, Gray)
Note:
2 QD Cups (left side)
Picatinny Forend Rail 4"

I've confirmed the above configuration, and lead time was stated as 12 - 14 weeks. oOof... Price: $883.75.

Bottom Metal:
Hawkins Precision Long Action Hunter. I cannot find this in stock so far... Price: TBD

Magazine:
Hawkins Precision Hunter Magazine (Long Action). Already ordered from Altus. Shipped today. Price: $117 ish

Barrel:
Im looking to start with a steel barrel in 26 nosler or 28, hadn't planned on buying both at once. Although there may be a cost savings to buy two?? Proof research carbon fiber also a consideration. M24/Proof sendero profile. 03/02/22 - Ordered 2 Carbon barrels from preferred barrel blanks. One in 28 nosler, one in 26. Both 24". Threaded in 5/8 - 24. Paid to have them both lapped. Lead time 8 - 10 weeks (Or longer). Price: $1,848.22

Muzzle Brake:
Area 419 HELLFIRE Self Timing Brake System. Ordered from Altus, shipped today. Price: $170-ish.

Trigger: Timney "The Hit" Remington 700 Trigger. I hope this will be similar to the snappy things on my Grandad's old deer rifle. Price: $209-ish.

Total thus far: $3238.94

What am I doing wrong? What would you do differently? Recommendations on suppliers always considered. Remember I can barely pack my own lunch everyday.

But I'll read the poop out of the internet.

I welcome opinions, but prefer they are based on experience, specifics appreciated. In all seriousness I appreciate you making it this far into the post.
Welcome to the forum from Tennessee, I like your rifle build plans .I don't know that I would change much except possibly a trigger tech trigger.

Specifically on the 26N, you should be able to shoot any bullet available in .264 diameter with that twist.
Correct, but the length of the bullet and interference with the lands becomes a constraint.
I'm not familiar with preferred; is this a prefit barrel or is it threaded and fit to the receiver by your gunsmith?
Prefit barrel.
How are you determining seating depth?
Hornady comparator as well as a lightly seated bullet in an empty case chambered into the rifle.
There's no reason a custom rifle should be printing groups like what you posted. I would work on getting the rifle to group before I made any changes to the chamber.
I agree with you. I want to make sure I'm doing my part before I make any claims about the barrels, let's please be clear on that. I'm fairly certain I'm the weak link in the chain. And yes, I wouldn't touch anything until I was getting a higher level of consistency. That said I doubt I'll actually go the throat reamer route.

Welcome to the forum from Tennessee, I like your rifle build plans .I don't know that I would change much except possibly a trigger tech trigger.
Thank you sir! I was looking at tt's but I had held the timney and liked it. But I hear great things about the the tt.

For what it's worth-

I have done what you are talking about but on a much smaller budget. I used a Savage target action, installed a PAC NOR barrel with barrel nut, bedded in a Boyd's stock, and finally mounted a Zeiss optic on top. Oh the rifle was chambered in 300 Win Mag and single shot. I wouldn't do it again. It was a fun learning experience.

After that I had a rifle built by a professional in .280 Remington AI using relatively the same cost of components other than the stock. I spent a little more using a smith but the results were night and day different.

Just my opinion- if you want to build one to say you did it- go for it. If you want to build one to have your ideal rifle- find a good smith. Pick your components, decide on bullet weight, cartridge, goal velocity, and rifle weight. Then talk to a pro.

I hear the gunsmith comments I do, and please don't think I'm outright adverse to getting one on board. But this is a bit of a personal journey if you will. Additionally, I want a gunsmith I can trust, one that's local, and available. That's a tall order in California right now.

That said, I got some range time today. Last night I sat down and listed out some of my thoughts on why the poor groups and odd dispersions of rounds. From that list I made the following adjustments.

1. I torqued all the chassis screws on this silly magpul stock to 65 ft. lbs. AG composites, please hurry, save me from this plastic nightmare.
2. I removed the 26 nosler barrel and inspected it for signs of weird wear or chaffing. Finding none I reinstalled, torquing it to 20 ft, lbs., rechecking with my go/no-go guages, and then torquing the set screws to 10 in. lbs.
3. I removed the muzzle break.
4. I removed and reinstalled the optic, torquing things back in place.
5. I remeasured my cbto with the hornady comparator for the two projectiles i decided to test.
6. I got myself some 115 grain hammer power hammers, and put together 3 5 round loadings and seated them further from the lands in .015 increments.
7. I continued with the 125 grain CE Maximus', and seated them further from the lands in .015 increments.
8. I hit the range very early in the morning before sunlight and ambient heat became a thing.
9. I chamfered the case mouths more than normal, in an effort to reduce "shaving" of the copper projectiles, including the "drive band" on the CE Maximus'

Overall, the results were conclusive. Longer jump consistently equated to tighter groups. As soon as my phone charges up I'll post my numbers and photo's of groups. Including my first 1 MOA 5 shot group. Which I know is underwhelming for a custom rifle, BUT, it marks notable improvement for me confirming some of my theories.

Last edited:
Here's some pics...Looks like I didn't make 1 MOA, but close.

Attachments

• 20220520_071533.jpg
    20220520_071533.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20220520-094000_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-094000_Range Buddy.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_20220520-094105_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-094105_Range Buddy.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220520-094112_Range Buddy.jpg
    Screenshot_20220520-094112_Range Buddy.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 22
Update:

Whelp, I have to admit I'm a bit frustrated with the 26 nosler barrel. Or maybe just the cartridge itself. I've contemplated a uni-throat reamer. To allow some jump from a bullet not crammed so far into the case. I also thought about sending it back to preferred barrel blanks.

Sooo, I switched to the 28 barrel. Began break in. And it's a shooter. Shot sub moa groups in 20 mph winds. Not bullet or powder picky, it just shoots. I'm using the new Hornady cx 150 with us-869, retumbo, and magpro and they all shoot even crammed down into the case.

This barrel has saved this project for me!

Still haven't received my ag composites stock. Anxiously await it's arrival.

Update:

Whelp, I have to admit I'm a bit frustrated with the 26 nosler barrel. Or maybe just the cartridge itself. I've contemplated a uni-throat reamer. To allow some jump from a bullet not crammed so far into the case. I also thought about sending it back to preferred barrel blanks.

Sooo, I switched to the 28 barrel. Began break in. And it's a shooter. Shot sub moa groups in 20 mph winds. Not bullet or powder picky, it just shoots. I'm using the new Hornady cx 150 with us-869, retumbo, and magpro and they all shoot even crammed down into the case.

This barrel has saved this project for me!

Still haven't received my ag composites stock. Anxiously await it's arrival.
All of the Nosler cartridges can benefit from a longer throat. However I don't know if that's going to solve your grouping issue. I think you have a dud barrel. Personally I wouldn't waste any more time or components. I would send the barrel back.

Does preferred list what they consider acceptable groups from their barrels?

All of the Nosler cartridges can benefit from a longer throat. However I don't know if that's going to solve your grouping issue. I think you have a dud barrel. Personally I wouldn't waste any more time or components. I would send the barrel back.

Does preferred list what they consider acceptable groups from their barrels?
They don't make any grouping "guarantees", but they say I should be grouping under an inch and if they can't get it to do so, they'll replace it.

That said, I have an idea or two about possible ways to get it to shoot, if those are no go, I'll likely send it back. The difference between the 28 and the 26 barrel is night and day.

If pbb tells me to pound sand, I'm gonna throat that ****** by hand for the experience.