How to keep a "Shooter's Log"

Dan B

How to keep a \"Shooter\'s Log\"

I've been playing with some scraps here and there trying to figure out how I want to keep a "shooter's log". Can anyone post a pic of their log pages? Or a list of the pertenant that should be recorded? Or send me a word doc if you use an electronically created page to take notes on? Or....?? Do you keep a seperate book for each gun?

I think you get the point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks.......Dan

Re: How to keep a \"Shooter\'s Log\"

I'm not as meticulous as some but I can say that I've learned alot and am now a better shooter and reloader since I started keeping notes. I just got a notebook that was divided into sections and use each section for different guns. I don't really have a "system." I just write down when I reload and what I reloaded, keep track of my minutes when shooting @ distances, note the field conditions and note when I clean the gun. I've also saved several targets and referenced them in the text so I can go back and look @ them in the future.

I'm not going to record everyshot and where it hits. Just a general summation of how things went on a given day shooting. I know there are better ways to do it but this has worked for me.

Take a look at Sinclair's on-line catalog. They have several log books, you might get an idea from them.
Good luck
Jim

Bill...I keep meticulous reloading notes for all my firearms in my files and the date they were fired...which gives me a general idea of the weather conditions. July...HOT!! January...COLD!!

I'm looking for a better way to keep range notes when I am working on LR practice.

Thanks.........Dan B.

Check out this on E-bay Auction # 7104972881

You are signed in Watch this item in My eBay

View larger picture

price: US $2.50 Buy It Now >

Creedmoor Gun Book
N070 (Wt .5 lb)
Record the number of rounds fired and maintenance data on your weapon in this handy gun book. This record can then be used in determining when the weapon should be rebarreled.

I've tried various things over the years, and the downfall of them all is they all lack someone to remember to enter the data for me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That said... what I did recently was go to the local office supply store (Staples), buy a pack of the little spiral bound reporters notebooks (the ones that are a little less than 3x5, w/ side binding instead of top), a pack of stout rubber bands, and I hang one from the barrel or scope turrets of each of my centerfire rifles in the safe. That way it's there, on the gun, all the time up until I actually shoot it. Usually at the range I update the book and re-hang it before I put the gun back in the case. Sometimes @ matches (NRA HP, F-Class, etc.) I'm in kind of a hurry to get my stuff cased and off the line for the next person, so I try to get those updated before I put them back in the safe. Doesn't always work, though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

HTH,

Monte

Tried several systems, this one is definitely idiot proof. Juat a loose-leaf, this one has side pockets for ballistic print outs etc. An analysis pad, 11x8½ with 50 pages and a pack of stickum page tabs. Can find everything at Wallys.
Mark the cartridge on the tab, leave as many pages as ya think you'll need, additional pages can always be added as needed. Stagger them as ya go. This particular log has three rows of tabs.
Take as much room as ya need for your data, not limited to a form like page. Tape the targets showing your best groups, throw the rest away.
Before I crack a can of powder, I'll take a minute and put my data in the log. Start with the date, if ya know what day it is ya can double check later to make sure ya entered this load.
I do the rubber band thing, a gun with a band on it in the safe means a clean barrel and needs a fouler.
Also like to shoot first thing in the morning, I keep targets out on my butts. I find posted signs work great for this. Sometimes they're up for several days before use, the Tyvek signs last not a problem. Pick a letter on the front to shoot at or flip em and mark what ever ya want for a target. Can be bought in rolls of 100 for about $25.00
LoadingLog001.jpg

http://i168.photobucket
[img]http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u188/philny1/LoadingLog002.jpg
LoadingLog003.jpg

LoadingLog004.jpg

LoadingLog005.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.