Introductory posts and a build log...

I think I would seat a bullet in a case where the edge of the boat tail is even with the base of the neck. Does that fit in your magazine? If not, shorten until it does. Can you live with that?

Does your reamer allow for that seating depth? If not, how will you accommodate?

I think I would seat a bullet in a case where the edge of the boat tail is even with the base of the neck. Does that fit in your magazine? If not, shorten until it does. Can you live with that?

Does your reamer allow for that seating depth? If not, how will you accommodate?
I'm hearing two questions.

One with regards to overall case length possible, and whether or not that longest possible length will work with my magazine.

Two, am I reaming the chamber to allow enough freebore to accommodate that length.

I may be wrong about the above, but assuming I'm not...here's my answer.

Both prefit barrels will be pre-reamed to SAAMI dimensions. Upon assembly of the rifle, assuming headspace inspection passes. I will use Hornadys tool that measures the case base to ogive. I'll note that original unfired dimension. That will give me a point of reference to guage throat erosion, first. Then I will use that length during reloading to know when my loads are tight to the lands. Given a copper load, and from my minimal experience, I'll want to plan for a slight jump somewhere in the .020 range I'd guess. And that will be the confines I will reload within for my load development.

Now I think the wider question is, will that limit me with regards to the bullet options and c.o.a.l. lengths possible? And I think the answer is, "Yes", to a certain extent. But with regards to my intended uses for this rifle I think I'll be fine, for now. I believe staying within SAAMI dimensions will provide plenty of room for the performance and purpose I'm intending.

My goal is a very accurate rifle, as good or better than most of what I could buy at the average Cabela's. Minimal gunsmithing, and a platform I can learn and evolve with. My other goal is to start down the road of educating myself to the ins and outs of higher precision.

If I start with too many variables, I'm likely to get into deeper trouble. I think advancing my reloading skills, working on my shooting skills and mechanics, and spending time understanding what I've built and what my preferences might be in the future are likely to get me more in the long run as opposed to custom reaming or chamber modification.

Did I understand and answer your questions properly?

I'm hearing two questions.

One with regards to overall case length possible, and whether or not that longest possible length will work with my magazine.

Two, am I reaming the chamber to allow enough freebore to accommodate that length.

I may be wrong about the above, but assuming I'm not...here's my answer.

Both prefit barrels will be pre-reamed to SAAMI dimensions. Upon assembly of the rifle, assuming headspace inspection passes. I will use Hornadys tool that measures the case base to ogive. I'll note that original unfired dimension. That will give me a point of reference to guage throat erosion, first. Then I will use that length during reloading to know when my loads are tight to the lands. Given a copper load, and from my minimal experience, I'll want to plan for a slight jump somewhere in the .020 range I'd guess. And that will be the confines I will reload within for my load development.

Now I think the wider question is, will that limit me with regards to the bullet options and c.o.a.l. lengths possible? And I think the answer is, "Yes", to a certain extent. But with regards to my intended uses for this rifle I think I'll be fine, for now. I believe staying within SAAMI dimensions will provide plenty of room for the performance and purpose I'm intending.

My goal is a very accurate rifle, as good or better than most of what I could buy at the average Cabela's. Minimal gunsmithing, and a platform I can learn and evolve with. My other goal is to start down the road of educating myself to the ins and outs of higher precision.

If I start with too many variables, I'm likely to get into deeper trouble. I think advancing my reloading skills, working on my shooting skills and mechanics, and spending time understanding what I've built and what my preferences might be in the future are likely to get me more in the long run as opposed to custom reaming or chamber modification.

Did I understand and answer your questions properly?
Don't overthink it. Bullet jump can be the same regardless of cartridge overall length. In my experience cartridges like my 264 Win Mag perform as good if not better with "custom" chamber dimensions and a custom reamer. SAAMI standards have to ensure that the ammo will shoot in all chambers and is not the best most of the time. As I said in one of my earlier posts, if you are going through the time and expense to build a custom rifle, you should customize it.

In my opinion if you are going to stick with SAAMI standards just save yourself the headache, time and expense and just buy a nice factory rifle.

Below is a picture of my 264 Win Mag improved cartridge compared to a SAAMI 264 Win Mag cartridge.

EA4DD769-8851-42D0-B0ED-19C31B6988E0.jpeg

Your 26 & 28 Nosler will be similar to the SAAMI cartridge on the right since it will be seated to the same length.

The below image is my target shot while fire-forming the SAAMI cartridge into the improved cartridge but with the bullet seated to the longer length. There is no accuracy loss that I can see and the modified cartridge will perform at a level that the original cartridge never dreamed of.

C9307294-F379-4218-B33F-4B891FB6F75A.jpeg

Don't overthink it. Bullet jump can be the same regardless of cartridge overall length. In my experience cartridges like my 264 Win Mag perform as good if not better with "custom" chamber dimensions and a custom reamer. SAAMI standards have to ensure that the ammo will shoot in all chambers and is not the best most of the time. As I said in one of my earlier posts, if you are going through the time and expense to build a custom rifle, you should customize it.

In my opinion if you are going to stick with SAAMI standards just save yourself the headache, time and expense and just buy a nice factory rifle.

Below is a picture of my 264 Win Mag improved cartridge compared to a SAAMI 264 Win Mag cartridge.

View attachment 346483

Your 26 & 28 Nosler will be similar to the SAAMI cartridge on the right since it will be seated to the same length.

The below image is my target shot while fire-forming the SAAMI cartridge into the improved cartridge but with the bullet seated to the longer length. There is no accuracy loss that I can see and the modified cartridge will perform at a level that the original cartridge never dreamed of.
/
View attachment 346484
Is this a hunting rig? That's a nice cloverleaf. That said, now that I'll have the platform, there's an argument that custom chamberings are much easier to accomplish now. There's also the argument that I could've bought one less barrel and gone that route from the git. To be honest, I'm simply excited to have the opportunity and resources to put such a thing together.

Last edited:

Thanks for directing me straight into the rabbit hole...I started a gofundme to help feed my kids. I don't think its too much to expect you all to pitch in and help.

Both prefit barrels will be pre-reamed to SAAMI dimensions.
SAAMI can make you happy. A 300 WSM in a 3" mag fits best in a SAAMI or close to chamber.

With Nosler's, you should be reasonably close. I'm just saying to check it.

Feeding kids is the wife's job!

Now slow down the rifle spending….you have an Optic to save for!:eek:

SAAMI can make you happy. A 300 WSM in a 3" mag fits best in a SAAMI or close to chamber.

With Nosler's, you should be reasonably close. I'm just saying to check it.

Feeding kids is the wife's job!

Now slow down the rifle spending….you have an Optic to save for!:eek:
Funny you should mention that!!!!

I have three rifles I'm putting up for sale to fund this project. One carries a Leupold VX 3i 6.5-20x50, one a nightforce shv 4-14x56. My initial thought was to retain one of these for this build. I also get Leupold and vortex at 40-50% off. While the proceeds from the sale of the other rifles likely won't totally eclipse what I've spent on this new build. It's likely to be close-ish. The California market is crazy right now!

I won't say money is not a concern, but I will say that I'm well within my planned budget...so I had intended on taking advantage of my discount or maybe looking into a...

TRACT TORIC UHD 30mm 4-20X50 FFP MRAD PRS

Thoughts?

I won't say money is not a concern, but I will say that I'm well within my planned budget...so I had intended on taking advantage of my discount or maybe looking into a...

TRACT TORIC UHD 30mm 4-20X50 FFP MRAD PRS

Thoughts?
I think it is a rock solid choice, but I only have 8 shots with mine so I should probably hold my praise until I get some experience.

I think it is a rock solid choice, but I only have 8 shots with mine so I should probably hold my praise until I get some experience.
Clear glass, sharp reticle, solid construction is all I hear. I hear it's a great value, but maybe not something to carry around.

Your moving closer and closer. This custom rifle thing is not good for the bank account, but it is a great way to get exactly what you want in a rifle. I will likely have another 8 months before my action arrives. Patience is a trait I'm still working on. Good luck on your build.