Beginning a build?

Mcarso1

I have a Remington model 700 stainless synthetic in 280 that I want to make into a tac driver slash deer gun out to 5-600 yards for a future out west hunt. Elk or mule deer in the next couple years. I may want more distance out of it so I don't want to limit myself. I need to do this build or upgrade in steps over time due to the cost so where do I start first? This is all new to me so I don't want to waste money on unneeded things.

Well, start with what you have, it is a very capable round. Do you reload? How does your 280 shoot? Do you know the barrel's twist rate?

I don't reload but my uncle reloads a bunch and does all my 280 shells for me,I may get into it on my own someday but not right now. To me the gun shoots well but I believe it could be made better and that's what I want to do now. Would the twist be stamped on the stock barrel? If not I don't know, bought the gun new back in early 90's.

I don't reload but my uncle reloads a bunch and does all my 280 shells for me,I may get into it on my own someday but not right now. To me the gun shoots well but I believe it could be made better and that's what I want to do now. Would the twist be stamped on the stock barrel? If not I don't know, bought the gun new back in early 90's.

Tack drivers are built in the reloading room. Factory guns usually are not stamped with the twist, you can find your twist w/ a cleaning rod.. youtube is your friend.

What kind of load development did you and your uncle do for your rifle?

If I were in your shoes I wouldn't buy or do anything until I've felt I've reached my rifles full potential. Maybe a new stock, but then again an impulse buy will leave you buying again. Just b/c you build or deviate from factory doesn't necessarily mean you will get what you want.

example, did you read about the factory 700 adl 7mm mag that shoots 1/2moa to 500yds with hand loads? Thats a $400 gun with a pencil barrel.

Upgrading a Remington over time is kinda tough. You can replace the stock. Work or replace trigger. After that its blueprint and tube time which is a pretty big chunk of change.
I run Savages because you can do a staged upgrade on them.
I would spend my money on shooting out the tube on it, learning to reload and how to tune loads and shoot in the wind. Then blueprint and tube it.

A lot of the investment in a gun is load development and learning LR shooting form and wind.

Upgrading a Remington over time is kinda tough. You can replace the stock. Work or replace trigger. After that its blueprint and tube time which is a pretty big chunk of change.
I run Savages because you can do a staged upgrade on them.
I would spend my money on shooting out the tube on it, learning to reload and how to tune loads and shoot in the wind. Then blueprint and tube it.

A lot of the investment in a gun is load development and learning LR shooting form and wind.

So true!

Thank you guys very much for the input. Speaking with some local shops the Remington 700 action is what they say is the perfect starting point? Like I said earlier I know little about long range shooting living in pa. And being a primary bow hunter. As mentioned before the loading has been recommended locally as well and they say stock and scope upgrade and shoot it a bunch before barrel and break?

Remington are very good to build from . how is the factory trigger, have you adjusted it? decide what weight you want to end up with. have a Krieger barrel installed.

Trigger is bone stock with no adjustments made yet, son in law has me leaning toward a timney instead of adjusting so not sure yet which I'll try first. Weight isn't a huge concern but I do want to have it heavier than it is with the pencil barrel. I'll look into krieger for sure and what length should I e looking at? Would you put a muzzle break on or suppressor to increase velocity or is that not necessary?

Trigger is bone stock with no adjustments made yet, son in law has me leaning toward a timney instead of adjusting so not sure yet which I'll try first. Weight isn't a huge concern but I do want to have it heavier than it is with the pencil barrel. I'll look into krieger for sure and what length should I e looking at? Would you put a muzzle break on or suppressor to increase
velocity or is that not necessary?

To increase velocity, you would either need to increase the length of your barrel of make your loads "hotter" (using more powder). Making loads hotter can increase the velocity of your round, but you run a very real risk of causing serious damage to your gun or your body if you don't know what you are doing. I would recommend NOT playing around with hotter loads until you have done a lot of research on the subject.

At least until you get more experience, I would stick with factory ammo or quality hand loads.

A muzzle break will decrease the recoil by redirecting gasses. They also make a gun sinfully loud. Wear hearing protection!! I've never heard of a muzzle brake significantly increasing muzzle velocity enough to warrant further study. A suppressor will decrease the velocity of a round by trapping some of the gasses created in the firing process.

I enjoy using a suppressor as much as possible for the noise reduction. You will see a change in the point of impact when using a suppressor compared to not utilizing a suppressor.

You would need to get your barrel threaded (most likely 5/8x24) and purchase a quality suppressor. ATF wait times are around 8 months currently.

Start by pillar bedding the stock you have
Stress-Free Pillar Bedding
Next tune the trigger for a clean break from 1.5 -3Lbs
Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger
If your stick is a tupperware style replace it with laminate and do the above. If your unsure of either process have it done.
Once this has been done go to work with your loading partner. Follow the steps in many different threads about finding the seating depth then use a ladder test with suitable powders.
To check your twist take your cleaning rod put a patch on it and start it in the barrel mark the top. Put a mark on your rod. Push it in till your top witness mark is in the same place mark the rod the same as when you started. Pull it out and measure between the marks.

you do not say how your rifle shoots currently. or what scope you have on it. It may cheaper to just get a Remington 700 long range for 625 keep your sporter for carrying.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.