Savage for a build?

hunter516

Kicking around the idea of building a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor or 308. It will be for deer hunting out to 700 yards and punching targets out to 1000. I want to use a savage action so I can do most of the build myself. I just don't know what model to use! Model 10, axis XP as a doner action, model 11? I'm not sure what would be best. I'm changing the stock, the barrel, adding a 20 moa base, still out on the scope and level, large tactical bolt handle be installed if not already on the action. I don't reload yet but I have access to everything needed to roll my own. Thanks in advance!

Kicking around the idea of building a rifle in 6.5 creedmoor or 308. It will be for deer hunting out to 700 yards and punching targets out to 1000. I want to use a savage action so I can do most of the build myself. I just don't know what model to use! Model 10, axis XP as a doner action, model 11? I'm not sure what would be best. I'm changing the stock, the barrel, adding a 20 moa base, still out on the scope and level, large tactical bolt handle be installed if not already on the action. I don't reload yet but I have access to everything needed to roll my own. Thanks in advance!

Savage 10/11 would be my choice for a SA and 110/111 for LA.

Heck yeah! Welcome to the world of NUTS.
Don't use an Axis it has some parts availability issues and interchange issues.
Buy a better trigger or tune the stock one.
Add Aftermarket recoil lug.
Lap action to recoil lug and lug to barrel nut juncture, to 90%+ contact level..
I always lap lugs as well since it's so easy on a Savage.
Pillar bed stock or use a chassis.
Screw it all together paying attention to correct action screw torque.
If it won't shoot under .5 MOA, take some shooting lessons.
SA has many more stock options and the Creed will fit in the stock mags no problem.
I usually build on LAs so I can run stuff seated out and I may have 5 or 10 barrels on 1 action over time so I like the versatility and suffer with the stocks available.
Good luck and have fun. Best part about Savages is I decided to build a 7 SAUM on Thanksgiving day. Found a barrel in classifieds on here and ordered everything else. Screwed it all together in 6 days using no parts I had on hand. Try that with a Remmy.
Speaking of Remmy's take a look at the Remage system also. Better stock selection, triggers and you can even run a custom action.

What Todd said.

I have several home built Savages, they shoot as well as my custom from a nationally known smith.

I've got one more Savage build in process and planning a Remage. There is something about doing all the work yourself and seeing it shoot in the end. It's so easy, the hardest part is the bedding -- which isn't hard. I have yet to build one I couldn't tune into the .4s at a minimum.

Action-wise, there is no difference building off a 10/11/12. All the same action. Triple digits are long actions. Don't use an Axis unless you are really on a budget, it's not the same quality and components not as available.

I'm looking at the 10fcp-sr 24" in 308 rite now. Seems like a good place to start and converting to 6.5 creedmoor will be easy, plus I can get a 308 match barrel for it if the stock one doesn't shoot good. Changing the stock will be the first thing I do along with the base.

I'm looking at the 10fcp-sr 24" in 308 rite now. Seems like a good place to start and converting to 6.5 creedmoor will be easy, plus I can get a 308 match barrel for it if the stock one doesn't shoot good. Changing the stock will be the first thing I do along with the base.

As a guy who has built uhhhh a bunch of Savages, why spend the money on a new gun? I buy the biggest piece of junk I can find for a build.
You are going to thro EVERYTHING but the action away anyway.
I have 1 I bought that was run over by a truck and the barrel was bent due to being in a rut in hard ground. Best action I have and I gave $100 for it.
Go to a pawnshop and buy the ugliest cheapest thing you can find and THEN build it. My last one I paid $275 for a 7mm RM.
Prospective builds need budgets. The only real variable in the budget is the stock. A Bedded Boyds will shoot as well as anything and run you $125. An XLR will be a tad more. Like $600 more.
Action $250
Stock $125-$800
Recoil lug $30
Trigger Use Savage $0 to the Sav 2 at $160
Barrel $300-$500
Brake $0-150

Since all you will use off of the 10 FCP is the action, it makes no sense to pay more than $250-300.

As a guy who has built uhhhh a bunch of Savages, why spend the money on a new gun? I buy the biggest piece of junk I can find for a build.
I have 1 I bought that was run over by a truck and the barrel was bent due to being in a rut in hard ground. Best action I have and I gave $100 for it.
Go to a pawnshop and buy the ugliest cheapest thing you can find and THEN build it. My last one I paid $275 for a 7mm RM.
Prospective builds need budgets. The only real variable in the budget is the stock. A Bedded Boyds will shoot as well as anything and run you $125. An XLR will be a tad more. Like $600 more.
Action $250
Stock $125-$800
Recoil lug $30
Barrel $300-$500
Brake $0-150

Since all you will use off of the 10 FCP is the action, it makes no sense to pay more than $250-300.

I did close to the above about 4 years ago on http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

Action $250
Stock $125-$800
Recoil lug $30
Barrel $300-$500
Brake $0-150

I thought about that last night. I was looking at it in a best case I would already have a detachable mag fed heavy barrel threaded 308. If it shot good, it would save me a couple hundred dollars and wait time on a new barrel. Change out the stock and shoot till my 6.5 barrel was delivered. Makes sense to not spend money on parts I don't need though.

I thought about that last night. I was looking at it in a best case I would already have a detachable mag fed heavy barrel threaded 308. If it shot good, it would save me a couple hundred dollars and wait time on a new barrel. Change out the stock and shoot till my 6.5 barrel was delivered. Makes sense to not spend money on parts I don't need though.
Mcgowen and Northland shooter supply has barrels in stock that you can have in under a week. Thanksgiving day I bought a Savage prefit 7SAUM barrel on the classifieds here. I found a donor action Black Friday and ordered everything else that day. Had everything here by Friday and gun was ready to shoot in 7 DAYS. There are Creed barrels floating around you could have at your door by this Friday. The ACTION is usually the last thing I buy unless I find one that's too good a bargain.
Every pawn shop within 50 miles of me has my card and knows I buy junked out Savages. RUST=DISCOUNT lol.

go to savage shooters and see what kind of take offs and stuff they have. I modded my savage striker pistol with a takeoff sporter 30-06 barrel and it just plain shoots. you could save a bunch by getting a good takeoff 308 barrel vs a new custom. I've done a couple and it's a fun job and very rewarding when it shoots as good as you hoped it would.

If you have a Cabela's close buy go take a look at the Savage FV $419.00 regular price, last week on sale for $369.00 and still may be on sale. They are offered in .308, .223, .22-250, .204. Good platform to build of of. The .308 barrel will usually shoot good and a barrel swap to a good pre fit is easy. 2nd hand stock are easy to come buy. You get the picture.

If you have a Cabela's close buy go take a look at the Savage FV $419.00 regular price, last week on sale for $369.00 and still may be on sale. They are offered in .308, .223, .22-250, .204. Good platform to build of of. The .308 barrel will usually shoot good and a barrel swap to a good pre fit is easy. 2nd hand stock are easy to come buy. You get the picture.

I bought that exact gun in 22-250 for my 6.5 creed build. I put on a Criterion savage prefit and a Hs-precision m24 stock and it shoots lights out. Tightest group so far is a .169

go to savage shooters and see what kind of take offs and stuff they have. I modded my savage striker pistol with a takeoff sporter 30-06 barrel and it just plain shoots. you could save a bunch by getting a good takeoff 308 barrel vs a new custom. I've done a couple and it's a fun job and very rewarding when it shoots as good as you hoped it would.

I really want to build a striker pistol to hunt with. That will be my next savage build (after this 6.5) if I can figure out where to get the stock for it.

I have been looking at the sporting goods stores near me online but haven't had the chance to go in person yet. Probably gonna stop by the pawn shops first to see if I can find a used action cheap first. Found a model 10 308 that was used for $250 today but it was sold before I got there.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.