Savage for a build?

I have been looking at the sporting goods stores near me online but haven't had the chance to go in person yet. Probably gonna stop by the pawn shops first to see if I can find a used action cheap first. Found a model 10 308 that was used for $250 today but it was sold before I got there.

Too bad, that would have been a good deal.

I have built 3 rifles now on savage actions 2 were pawnshop finds and one was new..They are great diy builds and not complicated just take your time and doo lots of research before hand..

I used a 116, a 111 and a 11... 2 6.5 x284's and a 6.5x47 Lapua.. Stock choices a a bit limited on the long actions depending on if it is a top or bottom bolt release action.. The 2 long actions I used were bottom bolt release and got B&C medalist stocks . The Short action is a top bolt release and I went with a HS precision stock.. Here is a picture of them this was taken before they had scopes but all have 20 moa rails and either tweeked accutriggers or a rifle basix trigger..

Man, I wish I could find these $250 donor guns. I searched for 2 months and the best I could do around here is $399, and I had to drive two hours for that. But rifles aren't as popular here.

Man, I wish I could find these $250 donor guns. I searched for 2 months and the best I could do around here is $399, and I had to drive two hours for that. But rifles aren't as popular here.

I leave my business card at pawnshops and tell them i want the ugliest Savage they can trade for. Indiana is a different critter though huh?

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/605757268

There are many like this on gunbroker, search under bolt action rifles, type in "savage 110" or 111 or whatever model and click the "used" box as opposed to new and old stock are the other options. Be sure of what stock you want to use as there are 2 types of detachable magazines, and many don't work with the blind magazine. There is also bottom and top bolt release.
The 116 is stainless steel, heck, I might buy this one !!
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/605100125
Boyde's makes great, inexpensive stocks for them.

Edit; get a caliber that fits your cartridges in the mag and same boltface although a boltface isn't a big deal to change

If there are any gun raffles in the area find out which shops supply the guns and keep up with the drawing dates. Usually a few days after the drawing people go to pick up their prizes and a lot of them just take a cash pay off or trade for an upgrade. Some groups in my area hold 100 gun raffles and there are always smaller ones just about every month somewhere. I got a brand new Model 11 .243 for a donor three months ago for three hundred bucks that was a raffle gun but they swiped the scope off of it. Right after I bought it I went to another shop and could have got an Axis II without the scope for less but I walked away. Another raffle gun.

I suggest ptg bolt body. Improved accuracy on my rifle considerably. Savages are so much easier to work on without specialized tools. I started on a factory model 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. Lapped lugs ptg bolt. Bedded action into a McMillian stock. Added a cheek riser (expensive endeavor).
I was shooting a small chain out at 450 yards a while back. Every shot that thing hit.

I built a 6.5 Sherman this year off a Savage 111 action. I bought a 30-06 Lady Hunter on clearance at Cabelas otd for $302. Sold the stock for $215 and barrel for $60. I put a 26" Criterion barrel, new lug and barrel nut. I splurged on McMillan stock and topped it off with SWFA SS 3-15 scope. Also had the bolt fluted. I love this gun and the best part was doing it myself.

I suggest ptg bolt body. Improved accuracy on my rifle considerably. Savages are so much easier to work on without specialized tools. I started on a factory model 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. Lapped lugs ptg bolt. Bedded action into a McMillian stock. Added a cheek riser (expensive endeavor).
I was shooting a small chain out at 450 yards a while back. Every shot that thing hit.

Thanks, I was unaware they made these, looks like a nice cosmetic upgrade which may also improve the throw. I don't understand why it would increase accuracy, but don't doubt your results either.

I have built 3 rifles now on savage actions 2 were pawnshop finds and one was new..They are great diy builds and not complicated just take your time and doo lots of research before hand..

I used a 116, a 111 and a 11... 2 6.5 x284's and a 6.5x47 Lapua.. Stock choices a a bit limited on the long actions depending on if it is a top or bottom bolt release action.. The 2 long actions I used were bottom bolt release and got B&C medalist stocks . The Short action is a top bolt release and I went with a HS precision stock.. Here is a picture of them this was taken before they had scopes but all have 20 moa rails and either tweeked accutriggers or a rifle basix trigger..

You gotta love them Savage rifles/builds. Here's http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/ ...

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

Longest hit target thus far is 936 yards; by my son, it was his first time behind the trigger. :):Dgun)

You guys have got me thinking about trying a build for myself. I have replaced triggers and done some bedding jobs and just don't want to stop there. Seems like Savage is a good place to start so I figure, what the heck. I have found a what is described as a like new Savage 110 Trophy XP action. The guy wants $275 for it. Seems like a fair price but I don't know for sure. What you say? And what do I need to look for as far as telling if it is indeed like new or in good shape? And the 110 is LA, right? What calibers can I get into with this action?

Thanks for pushing me over the edge guys. :)

You guys have got me thinking about trying a build for myself. I have replaced triggers and done some bedding jobs and just don't want to stop there. Seems like Savage is a good place to start so I figure, what the heck. I have found a what is described as a like new Savage 110 Trophy XP action. The guy wants $275 for it. Seems like a fair price but I don't know for sure. What you say? And what do I need to look for as far as telling if it is indeed like new or in good shape? And the 110 is LA, right? What calibers can I get into with this action?

Thanks for pushing me over the edge guys. :)

Yes the 110 is a long action and that is a good price.. Calibers are pretty much anything goes depending on what you want to try..
If it is a standard bolt face ie 270, 06, basically 308 size. Or magnum 7mm 300 ect.

Advantage with savage you can swapthr bolt heads to go from a 06 to a 300 win. All depends on what you want to shoot.. You can build a 6.5x284 on a 06 or build a 6.5 creed with a long throated barrel. Change bolt head and go to a 300 win... Bedding the stock is a bit different but easy and make sure the tang is "floated".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.