Introductory posts and a build log...

According to my math I'm @ ~9.5lbs not included a mag full of rounds, rings, muzzle brake and 4" weaver rail @ fore-end. 10.5 is seaming more likely without sling or tripod should I go that route. The barrels are 24" carbon.

@Mike from Texas included rings and scope in his weight. - I mean no offense. I just thought it should be pointed out.

UPDATE: Hawkins Precision Hunter LA DBM Bottom Metal has been ordered. PRICE=$213

Project Total:Total thus far: $3451.94

Beautiful rifle!

According to my math I'm @ ~9.5lbs not included a mag full of rounds, rings, muzzle brake and 4" weaver rail @ fore-end. 10.5 is seaming more likely without sling or tripod should I go that route. The barrels are 24" carbon.
Ok. I must have missed where you switched to Carbon vs stainless.

The barrel on my rifle is 28".

Are you including rings and optics in your calculations?

Also the stock you are looking at weighs 40oz whereas mine is 28oz.

My barrel is 4" longer but that won't weigh 12oz.

Last edited:
@Mike from Texas included rings and scope in his weight. - I mean no offense. I just thought it should be pointed out.
That's why I noted it...I haven't weighed the items listed. But agreed, and Non taken. Ever. I'm glad for the input and promise to complete this thread with the entire build process so at the end of the day we can update our score cards and dole out "I told you so"'s...

Your first post is Epic.

A couple of thoughts:

• IMO if you are going to go through the time and expense of a custom build, I would not handicap yourself with a SAAMI chambered prefit barrel. You are handicapping both of those rounds by doing so.
  • Based on my latest build your weight goal with the components you are looking at will likely be unachievable especially with a Palma contour steel barrel and adjustable stock.
My latest build has a Kelbly's long action receiver, AG Composites Visigoth stock (which is one of their lighter ones) Proof barrel, Vortex Razor LHT scope (which is lightest in class @ ~22oz) Arc Rings and Hawkins DBM.

It sits at 9#,10oz with no ammo in the magazine.

I would expect your build to be at least 2# heavier than this setup and that's if you used the same optic.

View attachment 346174
So you would have created freebore for longer coal?

Ok. I must have missed where you switched to Carbon vs stainless.

The barrel on my rifle is 28".

Are you including rings and optics in your calculations?

Also the stock you are looking at weighs 40oz whereas mine is 28oz.

My barrel is 4" longer but that won't weigh 12oz.
Here's how I have it stacking out...

Stock: 2.5 Lbs
Action: 2.5 Lbs
Barrel: 3 Lbs
Scope: 1.4 lbs
Bottom Metal & Trigger: 5 oz

Total Theoretical Weight of Above Components: 9.9 lbs (Not including Rings, QD's, Forend Rail, Muzzle Device or any other accessories)

That's part of the excercise too right? Tracking Stated vs Deliver weights of the components as well.

As for the barrel channel, ...... I'll point out again, ..... the shank on an M24 is 1.2" diameter and the shank on a palma contour barrel is 1.250".
It sounds like the stock will be inlet for a M24 yet you are going to use a palma contour barrel?

As for the barrel channel, ...... I'll point out again, ..... the shank on an M24 is 1.2" diameter and the shank on a palma contour barrel is 1.250".
It sounds like the stock will be inlet for a M24 yet you are going to use a palma contour barrel?
Glad you brought this up, its something I've been noodling. I'm going to place a bit of ignorance and impatience on display here.

Originally when I had begun this process I put together a version of this rifle in my head that utilized a proof research barrel in their sendero contour. Then I ordered the stock as it is the longest lead time of all the components. Then I switched course...

I ended up ordering the two barrels from Preferred. Now my communications with them stated..."The contour is noted in the CF option description, and it is the standard Heavy Palma. This will for sure fit in your M24 inlet!" Its not my intent to out anyone or throw anyone under a bus btw. I take full responsibility if my ignorance results in a less than desired result. Point of fact...the contour of the barrels as ordered is Hvy Palma...NOT...Medium as I stated before. I told you I'm a window licker.

BUT, I've heard the above comment regarding the contour twice now, and via the shop drawings...your statement is correct. My intent is to alter the specifications of either the barrel or the stock, and I'm leaning towards the stock. Since its likely no where close to entering production yet.

But what I want to know is, since I have no experiential knowledge to go by, what is most versatile? Or rather, if I had to choose ONE, which is the choice that will help me stretch the build for the next 2 - 5 years? Knowing my barrel life is going to be short, and thus more barrels are in my future...what is the best choice for a new comer? I've read about the palma contours being better balanced, but I think that's anecdotal and personal preference.

Advice, Thoughts, or Verbal abuse appreciated.

I'm thinking my build will be in the the 8 to 12 pound range.
That is about a 3lb barrel at 8 lbs. it won't balance like you want, most likely.

The heavy barrels you speak of are closer to 5lbs.
LOP in the 13.5 to 14.5 range
That is a big range. Probably should go with a shim adjustable butt pad.

Overall I'll start with the 26 to build out the rifle and learn.
2. I've heard there is magic in a 6.5 caliber bullet in the 140grn weight. That said I'll shoot non-lead. So, I'd like to target 125ish grn for the 26 nosler for everything but elk. If I can get consistent accuracy at 3200 - 3300 fps I'll be happy.
I would consider the 6.5 PRC. Very high performance in a reasonable size. The 26 Nosler seems like a ton of powder for minimal speed gain.

I'm ASSUMING i won't need a gunsmith to have a functional rifle though. That's essentially the narrative these manufacturers are pushing. Will I be surprised if I do need a gunsmith to get to sub-moa? No.
How will you chamber it? Who will throat it to meet your demands?…or design a reamer for a single cut….or who already has a reamer close to your desired chamber? A gunsmith can be invaluable for chambering.

Stumpy, I'm glad you understand the barrel contour and inlet. Sounds like you have it covered. I was just trying to save you some grief when you dropped the barreled action into the stock.
Carry on 😁

You need more barrel weight or less stock weight to get that balance is where you want.
I think you're likely to be right about that. Especially since my barrels are carbon and in the 24" length.

As an Update. The order has been placed for the action and associated Action wrench. Price: $1620. Total Project Price Thus far... $5071.94.

That should be the bulk of it, god willing. I have all the makings for 28 nosler rounds and I purchased Dies and Brass for 26 nosler. Although, I wont be adding that cost to the rifle project price. Now all that's left is to wait, and wait, and wait. I will need headpace guages tho...and that price will be added. Once components arrive I'll detail the assembly process and the trials and travesties therein, and move on to 26 nosler load development.

Thank you all for your support and guidance, I truly appreciated it and I think it guided a few clutch decisions. I'd bet a few of you are likely questioning the caliber choices, which is fair. BUT, lest ye forgot...6.5 prc share's a bolt face with these two and I think wit would likely feed in a long action? So we'll see how this project develops. Stay tuned!