Input from anyone who reloads 22lr yes I mean rimfire 22 long rifle

DartonJager

I have seen for several years now products for sale to reload 22lr but a 2.7c-3c each for 22lr OTC I never bothered. Now that 22lr is almost unavailable OTC and on line prices for 50 22lr are at pre panic 9mm prices.

Does anyone here reload 22lr and can you educate me as to what it entails? Considering I'm guessing it will likely be a single stage press reloading process as such it will be much more time consuming than my HG & rifle rounds on my progressive presses, but I feel if it is no more difficult than reloading any other CF ammo on a single stage press might as well give it a try.

I am asking before I invest in the components and dies to reload 22lr because they aint cheap. As I said I know very little about reloading rim fire ammo outside of a few articles I read on how to do it a few years ago that showed it can be done, I just don't recall if the articles said anything about difficulty or cost.

Google it
You must make your own "primer juice" usually made from hopping up the tips from matches, then put the "primer juice" in the old cases, let it dry, put in powder, make bullets from molten lead/molds, put bullets in, crimp --- then hope they fire.

Way too time consuming for me--- when price of 22lr is same as 9mm I prefer to just reload the 9mm.

Your decision, but 22lr ammo/shooting isn't worth all that time and hassle for me. Thats why you stock up when times are good at 4 cents ea. A mil 50 cal ammo can will hold over 10000 rounds of 22lr

There is a sight that advertises selling pre-primed 22lr brass but they are currently out of it.
I guess like you I will continue to reload 9mm.
Forgot to add they also sell priming paste as well.

Last edited:
Yup, any time that there is a 22lr_ammo/powder/primer scare/shortage then those primed cases are sold out too...goes without saying.

I watched a 30 minute video on 22lr reloading a few years back, its just too time consuming for me.

Cutting Edge sells a kit, 200 monos and primed cases for $70 plus $120 for the dies. Would just be a time killer for me, but probably a fun one to mess around with. I wouldn't mind seeing primed rimfire brass become more available, it would be fun, but just that. Not anything serious.

Last edited:
Who did you buy from?

I'm thinking about doing the cutting edge pre-order, but they specify Viht 3N37 of which I have none.
I ordered the kit, dies, and Prime All for 179.80. I know stupid price, but really I wanted to play since I have so much time on my hands.

I also go a hold of 1500 primed brass sold by:

Really all just to play since I have 10000 rounds loaded 22 in the closet, every time I went to anyplace that had a deal I would grab a box every since the last run on ammo.

I have seen for several years now products for sale to reload 22lr but a 2.7c-3c each for 22lr OTC I never bothered. Now that 22lr is almost unavailable OTC and on line prices for 50 22lr are at pre panic 9mm prices.

Does anyone here reload 22lr and can you educate me as to what it entails? Considering I'm guessing it will likely be a single stage press reloading process as such it will be much more time consuming than my HG & rifle rounds on my progressive presses, but I feel if it is no more difficult than reloading any other CF ammo on a single stage press might as well give it a try.

I am asking before I invest in the components and dies to reload 22lr because they aint cheap. As I said I know very little about reloading rim fire ammo outside of a few articles I read on how to do it a few years ago that showed it can be done, I just don't recall if the articles said anything about difficulty or cost.
I have successfully produced 22lr match grade ammo from new primed brass and hand cast bullets. There is a full write up on the process start to finish on FB at .22 Rimfire Group.