I like math….mean radius

nksmfamjp

Ok, I don't like math!

I have an app that gives me group size, mean radius, 0 shift, etc, but each group is separate.

I want to shoot 4 groups of 5 into 4 bullseyes, 4 pictures……but, I'd like to combine the results to know the center of all 20 and the mean radius from that center.

Is there an app that does that?

OnTarget TDS. It is not an app though, and you have to install it on a windows pc. It comes with a free trial for a certain number of days and then costs about $35 if it is doing what you want. You take a pic or scan of your target and upload it into the software. It works great. I have used it to create a single virtual group of up to 20 individual shots on 20 different bullseye on a dot drill target. It may work with your 5 shot groups across multiple targets, not sure but its free to try. Just don't install it until you are ready to upload targets and play with it so your trial does not run out. I am actually surprised its not mentioned more often especially since both Hornady AND Litz have said your sample group size should be larger for statistics to matter. If you print the OnTarget targets in color, its supposed to be able to recognize the bullseyes and bullet holes. I have not tried that. Otherwise, you have to use your mouse to click on the bullseyes and bullet holes.

Last edited:
Averages aren't that useful. Aggregates are much more valuable.
OK, the Range Buddy does aggregate. LOL

Statistically speaking you'd have to shoot a 1000 round group to have any "confidence" in the numbers anyway because group size is a polynomial and not a binomial. Listen to the Hornady YouTube discussion on group size statistics.

Last edited:
Or you can add the 4 groups "mean radius" together and divide by 4. Average of the individual averages.
Yes, that will give you a number. However, that number is pretty much meaningless statistically if you desire high confidence in where your next shot will land. A 3-shot, 5-shot, 10-shot group is not enough samples to guarantee your 4th, 6th or 11th shot will land inside either group. There are way too many variables in your cartridge components, firearm, weather, or shooting technique that will cause the next shot to be outside the group. What some shooters call "flyers" is really just part of the real world statistical group.

Last edited:
Hornday 4dof group analysis $5.99
Does it really do it? I guess I could pay the $5.99 to see.
Range Buddy app should be able to average your groups for you.

OK, the Range Buddy does aggregate. LOL

Statistically speaking you'd have to shoot a 1000 round group to have any "confidence" in the numbers anyway because group size is a polynomial and not a binomial. Listen to the Hornady YouTube discussion on group size statistics.
So, what I am asking is basically to align the 4 images by their center point and rotate to align x,y axis. Then get the x,y coordinates for all 20 shots to calculate the common center and mean radius. Are you saying it will add groups together like that?
Or you can add the 4 groups "mean radius" together and divide by 4. Average of the individual averages.
That does get you something, but not a great way to review what I really have for mean radius and true capability.

I'm really trying to rethink things a bit as I stretch out my rifle and pistol shooting. I'd like to basically think about how far missing the bullseye on average vs the worst shot of 10-20.
OnTarget TDS. It is not an app though, and you have to install it on a windows pc. It comes with a free trial for a certain number of days and then costs about $35 if it is doing what you want. You take a pic or scan of your target and upload it into the software. It works great. I have used it to create a single virtual group of up to 20 individual shots on 20 different bullseye on a dot drill target. It may work with your 5 shot groups across multiple targets, not sure but it's free to try. Just don't install it until you are ready to upload targets and play with it so your trial does not run out. I am actually surprised it's not mentioned more often especially since both Hornady AND Litz have said your sample group size should be larger for statistics to matter. If you print the OnTarget targets in color, it's supposed to be able to recognize the bullseyes and bullet holes. I have not tried that. Otherwise, you have to use your mouse to click on the bullseyes and bullet holes.

I need to look into this. Sounds much better than my current excel & ruler method!

Well Range Buddy for IOS is totally different. glad I didn't pay!

Well TDS seems like it can do it…,for $35 and waiting to get home for analysis.

Last edited:
Hornady group analasis does mean radius cheap and easily, I am not sure if it is possible to do multiple target overlay. As Bob Wright said you could average them to get get pretty close

Well Range Buddy for IOS is totally different. glad I didn't pay!
I didn't know iOS was that different, I use android and it was free for androids. iOS always costs $$$ because app developers are charged an access fee to use Apple's system. I haven't tried, but I believe all you'd have to do to group multiple groups using Range Buddy is to: align each group, one at a time, over the first group using a 1 inch grid for aligning each group. Aligning the 1 inch squares should automatically align the bullet holes so you can then enter each hole as if they were shot with the 1st group. Hope that makes sense and is clearer than mud.