Anyone reloads Nosler ?

OR , we're you using noslers most accurate powder tested in yours and we're you close to their velocities ?

I used a 130 gr BT in a 270 win with 22" barrel this year. 59.5 H4831SC gave me 2960 fps at muzzle. Both deer shot behind the shoulder, one at 40 yds, the other around 140 yds. One ran 40 yds, and the other dropped right there without taking a step. Huge exit wound, and the 140 yd shot split into two, one exiting off shoulder and the other through the ribs.

I shot the AB 130gr last year and got very little expansion and switched to BT at the advice of a friend. The deer shot with an AB ran 40 yds after being hit behind the shoulder.

All three of the above were heart shot, so I don't think expansion would have mattered, but AB left very little blood trail so tracking would have been more challenging if it ran a good ways.

The pic is of the deer shot at 40yds, tore a good 5 inch hole in off side ribs.

With a 22" barrel you were a .5 grain higher than max and you were still under max velocity.
I wonder if 2 more inches would have made a difference ?

I missed some your comments when I was asking questions .
Trying to get used to this forum .

Anyway , you guys didn't have any signs of high pressure ?
I seen your data in the manual and posted .

I truly feel that every rifle is going to like something a little different. That being said H4350 and Winchester large rifle primers with your choice of brass have been proven performers in several rifles chambered in 30-06 and 270 that I have reloaded for. Bullet seating depth and adding or subtracting a grain or two depending on individual rifle seemed to be more variable than the powder choices. One thing I have found to be enjoyable about the 30-06 is that it seems to be an easy cartridge to load for and the rifles I have loaded for ( mostly factory tubes) were not picky about bullet choice either. As I have used hornady, and nosler bullets in many different weights with really good results.Again this isn't all inclusive as each rifle is different and should be treated as such starting at suggested minimum loads and working up. Just wanted to share my experience with the ol 06'. My standby load for whitetail, practice, yotes and whatever else finds itself with crosshairs on it is a 168 nosler custom competition or 168 amax over 54.5 gr of H4350, win. Cases and WLR primers at a mild 2700fps. I have other loads for other purposes but this shoots really well in my rifle as well as a buddy of mine who has a cheap savage axis he likes to ring our steel out to 750yds with. Have fun with your 06 they aren't sexy any more I guess but they flat out work!

Thanks kshunter,
What's the furthest distance with that custom comp. at 2700 muzzle vel. on a whitetail and the performance ?

How can I tell if my Weatherby has a tight chamber ?
I have taken a once fired case and chambered it , it was easy to chamber.
Would this be an indication?
Thanks again !

I have read that a 270 loses about 40 fps per inch, but have no idea how accurate that is. If you assume it is correct, that would put me at 3040.

These were new brass cases...I am new to reloading and still learning, but I have read on here that new brass can create slower velocities as the brass is not fire-formed to your chamber, so some of the energy is used up during the fireforming process. That makes sense intuitively but no idea if the velocity loss is material or not.

Will be interested so see how/if velocity changes with once fired brass.

I have read that a 270 loses about 40 fps per inch, but have no idea how accurate that is. If you assume it is correct, that would put me at 3040.

These were new brass cases...I am new to reloading and still learning, but I have read on here that new brass can create slower velocities as the brass is not fire-formed to your chamber, so some of the energy is used up during the fireforming process. That makes sense intuitively but no idea if the velocity loss is material or not.

Will be interested so see how/if velocity changes with once fired brass.

How was their coal and most accurate powder tested compared to your rifle ?

I used the most accurate that they provided and it worked for me. I changed COAL but I am limited due to mag length. Touching the lands is significantly longer than my mag.

Will post up pics of my charge weight testing tomorrow.

Thanks guys , this is really coming together for me , looking at everyone's loads using the manual to look at the drop charts along with the energy table is very helpful and giving me the edge to go for it.
Nosler claims a minimum of 1800 fps, that's still 1000 lbs+ of energy out to 400 yards with a muzzle velocity of only 2500 fps.

Thanks Oregonian I look forward to the pics !

I didn't notice any difference in COAL length but I had a very limited amount of room to work with.

FWIW, I just started to hand load this summer and am far from an expert. I tried to find a load for 150 LRAB...found one but is was extremely light. Was happy with the BT load I found.

Here is the BT load work I did. I used the OCW rather than ladder test to keep it simple. It became pretty obvious where the sweet spot was. I then went a little finer with charge weight and settled at 59.5 grains. Took two deer this year and was very satisfied - two heart shots but longest was 140 yds or so.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.