Anyone reloads Nosler ?

Here is the BT load work I did. I used the OCW rather than ladder test to keep it simple. It became pretty obvious where the sweet spot was. I then went a little finer with charge weight and settled at 59.5 grains. Took two deer this year and was very satisfied - two heart shots but longest was 140 yds or so.

Good job .

I should add this is a factory Browning A-bolt 270 stainless stalker without the BOSS system. Darrell holland added a brake and adjusted the trigger to 3 lbs, but is otherwise stock.

What is ocw? Did you mean to type coal ?
The starting load was real good as far as taking a deer.
The last one was great !

I use an 18"06 so my velocities are more in line with a 308 than a typical 06. However I load for 3 other rifles with 24 n 26" tubes. The extreme series powders have been in most of the suggestions but RL19 has been the most accurate powder I have used with the 150 interlocks and 165grn bt bullets. I get 3030-3050fps with the long tubes and 2800 with my pump gun. The challenge is knowing when to adjust the load. A must do to keep it in the node. I use federal 210's in winchester brass and cci 200's in lake city brass.
In testing we adjust our load to the temp change. For hunting season it is more powder than July. For one of the guys he will not use another load because of superstition.
That being said because of the powder crunch we started using 100V. It is more stable than rl19 not varget mind you but better. Fairly easy to get to velocity and has been within 0.2 of the best rl19 load in both bullet weights.

OR , what is the number below the grain weight on the last two targets and was this shot from 100 yards ?
Are shooting from a sled ?
What brass ?

I see your .5 over max , any sign of pressure ?

Last edited:
OR , what is the number below the grain weight on the last two targets and was this shot from 100 yards ?
Are shooting from a sled ?
What brass ?

I see your .5 over max , any sign of pressure ?
Hodgdon says 60grn is max and unless you have the old 4831 you run out of case before you hit the edge in a 270. That's typical accuracy for H4831 at that charge. I run 60*grn and a 215 in winchester brass COAL 3.350. This puts the base of the bullet at the neck shoulder junction. At 10 degrees it is at 3060 in my rifle. In my dad's 22" lightweight winny it's 3020 and shoots almost as well. In my experience the 130's shoot better over 3050fps than under. In the summer temps you can see speeds well over 3100fps

It says BT but I should label the powder and other things, but this is really my only load for my 270.

I am using Nosler brass and Fed primers (210M).

No pressure signs...this was off sandbags front and rear.

Hodgdon says 60grn is max and unless you have the old 4831 you run out of case before you hit the edge in a 270. That's typical accuracy for H4831 at that charge. I run 60*grn and a 215 in winchester brass COAL 3.350. This puts the base of the bullet at the neck shoulder junction. At 10 degrees it is at 3060 in my rifle. In my dad's 22" lightweight winny it's 3020 and shoots almost as well. In my experience the 130's shoot better over 3050fps than under. In the summer temps you can see speeds well over 3100fps

I guess the 270 likes to be up close to the lands

OR , Is that a magnum primer and how do you know when it's safe to use ?
I know manuals give symbols for that but I read that people will use one instead of what the book calls for .

Thanks , I'll wear those guys out over there !
LOL !

I'm really impressed with the details and pic you shared of your load development , to me you pretty much followed the data and scored !
I'm thinking of using the nosler brass myself, I like keeping things simple !

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.