Increased accuracy with a new stock?

The only things that really matter to me when spending a lot of money on a stock are weight and ergonomics. If you are talking about a standard hunting style stock, given the same weight, I would purchase the cheaper. That is usually Bell & Carlson. I have a couple of Manners stocks and have had another. I paid for the fact that it is super light and more ergonomic than a standard hunting stock. I have had several Bell & Carlsons and several HS Precisions. The HS Precision is definitely nicer fit and finnish but not worth the money in my opinion. I have never owned a Mcmillan but have been around a few. I prefer Manners. I would expect a Savage to shoot around .5 MOA with a hand load it likes. The accustock is more than capable. I would only get a new stock for it if you have exhausted reload tweaking and still have not achieved your desired accuracy.

The only things that really matter to me when spending a lot of money on a stock are weight and ergonomics.

I agree. The reason I went with the McMillan Sako hunter is because it fits me like a glove. When I bring it up to my shoulder, it's on target.

How accurate is your rifle now?

About 1 moa

Handload or factory ammo and at what range?

I too have a Savage 11 FCNS but in .300 WSM. It's all factory except for MB install. It's less than 1 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo at 200 yards and half that with my handload 215 Berger. On it's first outing, it harvested a nice MT muley buck at 425 yards.

I agree that you have gotten very good advice(s) above. Cheers!

Handloads and I'd say range up to 500 yards.

MB as in a muzzle break correct?

Handload or factory ammo and at what range?

I too have a Savage 11 FCNS but in .300 WSM. It's all factory except for MB install. It's less than 1 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo at 200 yards and half that with my handload 215 Berger. On it's first outing, it harvested a nice MT muley buck at 425 yards.

I agree that you have gotten very good advice(s) above. Cheers!

good information. answered some questions I had as well.

I don't mean to thread jack but I've been debating on swapping my savage 110 wood stock for a more vertical grip stock, but i'd only want to do so if the stock would lighten things up. any idea what the weight of a factory wood savage stock weighs? (my scale isn't accurate at smaller weights)

Handloads and I'd say range up to 500 yards.

MB as in a muzzle break correct?

You are correct, I have a mini tactical muzzle brake from Benchmark installed ...

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%201%20of%203_zpswv5nivdn.jpg

While not a FCNS, my LRH has an Accustock, rubber coated, plastic stock of similar design except for the adjustable cheekpiece. I'm not sure if this would apply to the FCNS, but my LRH stock had a small pressure point at the forearm tip that resulted in a barrel that was not free floated. After removing the pressure point with about three minutes of sanding to free float the barrel and setting the bedding screws to 40# I was able to get consistent .25 groups. I also have a Predator with a similar plastic Accustock stock that performs the same. I'm curious if the FCNS has the same pressure point as my LRH. While the plastic Accustock is cheesy in appearance, functionally it delivers quite well. IMO.

Grey fox, thanks for the reply

That is good to know, I will look into that. Did you find it by sliding paper or a dollar through it or how did you locate the pressure point?

I agree the Savage stocks are pretty ugly and that's part of the reason I'm thinking aboyt replacing it.

Thanks again

While not a FCNS, my LRH has an Accustock, rubber coated, plastic stock of similar design except for the adjustable cheekpiece. I'm not sure if this would apply to the FCNS, but my LRH stock had a small pressure point at the forearm tip that resulted in a barrel that was not free floated. After removing the pressure point with about three minutes of sanding to free float the barrel and setting the bedding screws to 40# I was able to get consistent .25 groups. I also have a Predator with a similar plastic Accustock stock that performs the same. I'm curious if the FCNS has the same pressure point as my LRH. While the plastic Accustock is cheesy in appearance, functionally it delivers quite well. IMO.

Grey fox, thanks for the reply

That is good to know, I will look into that. Did you find it by sliding paper or a dollar through it or how did you locate the pressure point?

I agree the Savage stocks are pretty ugly and that's part of the reason I'm thinking aboyt replacing it.

Thanks again

Yes, as soon as I took it out of the box I slid a dollar bill under the barrel. It slid freely except for a 1/4" or so tab in the channel at the end of the forearm. It was easily seen with the action removed...and easy to get rid of.

LOL. Being an old timer, and spending most of my shooting life with solid walnut stocks, ALL synthetic stocks are ugly as sin to me.......but very functional.

MOA is pretty good for a factory rifle using factory ammo.

The problem I see is not knowing whether the rifle is capable of better than MOA, and if it is, whether a new stock will increase accuracy or, assuming it's capable than better than MOA, that the stock is holding her back from her potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts