Increased accuracy with a new stock?

260savage

Im looking to increase some accuracy with my Savage model 11 FCNS. Im wondering how much increased accuracy I might see by upgrading my stock. I know there is no certainties but Im just looking for a ballpark idea.

My rifle is a .260 and has the accustock.

I would say not much improved accuracy, if any at all. The Accustock uses an aluminum bedding block that offers very secure stock to action fit. The action and stock should not change alignment during fire and usually don't with the Accustock.

Now... If the Accustock doesn't fit you well, or you shoot off of bags and could benefit from a flatter forearm, or more weight on the rifle, then a stock change might help.

Another option would be to skim bed the Accustock. This might give you better contact with the lug and accustock aluminum frame.

Bottom line is you never really know unless change the stock and have good pre/post change shots documented so you can see and measure any benefit, but I would think it wouldn't be much. Would probably be better to spend the money on a custom barrel, better recoil lug, etc.

Awesome! Thanks for a very well explained response. Not really what I wanted to hear but it certainly answered my question!

Being new to modifying rifles, can you explain the big difference in pricing between stocks. I have seen seemingly similar stocks priced anywhere from $129 to $1000. What are you actually paying for with some of those higher end stocks?

I would say not much improved accuracy, if any at all. The Accustock uses an aluminum bedding block that offers very secure stock to action fit. The action and stock should not change alignment during fire and usually don't with the Accustock.

Now... If the Accustock doesn't fit you well, or you shoot off of bags and could benefit from a flatter forearm, or more weight on the rifle, then a stock change might help.

Another option would be to skim bed the Accustock. This might give you better contact with the lug and accustock aluminum frame.

Bottom line is you never really know unless change the stock and have good pre/post change shots documented so you can see and measure any benefit, but I would think it wouldn't be much. Would probably be better to spend the money on a custom barrel, better recoil lug, etc.

A lot of it has to do with the labor involved, final fit and finish, style, and to some extent brand recognition...

Fiberglass and carbon fiber stocks involve manual labor as a lot of it is hand laid.

Fit and finish- just look at those gorgeous McMillan stocks with custom swirled colors of your choice imbedded in the stock itself.

Style - Heavy stocks built very stiff for use with long range magnum rifles just have more material in them. And some of the light carbon fiber ones have expensive materials.

Thanks Barrelnut, that all makes sense! I'm sure carbon stocks weigh less, what is the selling points for a fiberglass stock?

A lot of it has to do with the labor involved, final fit and finish, style, and to some extent brand recognition...

Fiberglass and carbon fiber stocks involve manual labor as a lot of it is hand laid.

Fit and finish- just look at those gorgeous McMillan stocks with custom swirled colors of your choice imbedded in the stock itself.

Style - Heavy stocks built very stiff for use with long range magnum rifles just have more material in them. And some of the light carbon fiber ones have expensive materials.

I had a 7mm rem mag with the Accu stock it was inconsistent off of a bipod even after being fully beded. I decided to build the gun and went with a a3 Sporter and love it the gun also has a prof research barrel now and has been trued it shoots incredible now. My buddy has a 7mag as well and he just changed the stock to an a3 Sporter and his gun is more consistent now. I picked up a used savage 7 mag for a beet around gun and it is also inconsistent on a bipod. Love my savages but I believe a better stock will improve consistency but not necessarily accuracy.
All the guns I'm referring to are 116 savages
Duane

Depending on the model, it might be somewhat lighter since it doesn't use the aluminum bedding block. The fiberglass stock would be somewhat stiffer too. Stiffness can aid accuracy.

Fiberglass usually has to be "glass bedded" though to achieve the same stock to action fit as the aluminum bedding block. Glass bedding is basically creating a custom glove like fit between the action and the fiberglass stock. Thick epoxy glue and a release agent - like shoe polish to keep the action and stock from being permanently welded together - are used to kind of mold the glass stock so that there is a perfect fit between it and the action.

The plastic Accustock with the molded in aluminum bedding block is just a cheaper way of getting the same accuracy potential of a properly glass bedded fiberglass stock.

I haven't seen a plastic factory stock that does not flex enough to be an issue shooting off a bipod. Fiberglass stocks are way more stiff. McMillan is pricey, but if you want an accurate rifle it's worth the coin. I'm sure you could use arrow shafts etc to stiffen up a factory stock, if money were a real issue.

Im looking to increase some accuracy with my Savage model 11 FCNS. Im wondering how much increased accuracy I might see by upgrading my stock. I know there is no certainties but Im just looking for a ballpark idea.

My rifle is a .260 and has the accustock.

How accurate is your rifle now?

You have gotten some very good advice so far and let me add a little to it or just share my limited experience. I wanted a 300wm but I like Sako plus McMillan stocks. I did not want to pay the money for a Sako 85 Finnlite then another 5 to 600 dollars for a stock. I went with the Tikka T3 SS and put it in a McMillan Sako hunter stock that comes with bedding pillars already installed. Changed the bottom from plastic to aluminum so I could torque it all the way to 60 inch pounds. With the plastic, anything over 30 would bind the magazine. I do not reload so finding a bullet that each rifle shots well can be fun. I experimented with it and was close to what I wanted with Federal 180 gr trophy bonded tip but still was not satisfied. I hadn't glass bedded it because when I first put it in the new stock it was such a tight fit I thought it is not going to move. Well I took it all down again, got out my dremal tool and ground the fiberglass down around the recoil lug, pillars, and rear screw. When it was complete it no longer liked the 180 gr Federal but shoots Nosler 200 gr accubond at around 3/8 inch groups. The 200 grain bullet is what I wanted to shoot out of it to begin with so needless to say I am happy with it. As I said, I have limited experience, but with this particular rifle, it shoots better but with a different bullet.

I have also seen videos on the net where they ground down the aluminum bedding block and glass bedded over it. If you reload, I would be willing to bet you could improve accuracy by bedding then tweaking your load if necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.