Stock crack and accuracy

Jabba

Hello everyone.

I have a CZ 550 Lux in 30-06. I noticed a crack on the left side of the rifle stock. Will a crack like this affect the accuracy of my rifle? I used to be able to group it ok at 100 meters. The last couple of sessions, I couldn't, no matter how I try. I could, however, hit an 8 inch target consistently up-to 450 meters. Would appreciate to hear your experiences on this matter.

Thank you.

Attachments

• F49AC82E-BCDE-4D11-AF1D-8695882301B5.jpeg
    F49AC82E-BCDE-4D11-AF1D-8695882301B5.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 523
  • 5C560846-466E-470D-9E79-08DF91C0969F.png
    5C560846-466E-470D-9E79-08DF91C0969F.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 521
  • 3CE1E9F8-BE97-4D51-BCE3-D176441AC46D.jpeg
    3CE1E9F8-BE97-4D51-BCE3-D176441AC46D.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 433
  • 600B2C54-6DFE-4195-9FA6-ED67D24CA139.jpeg
    600B2C54-6DFE-4195-9FA6-ED67D24CA139.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 506
Here is a detail of the crack:
CZ cracked_detail.jpeg

The black circle is a type of cross bolt used in building heavier recoiling rifle stocks. These are usually made from ebony. The cross bolt is placed through the stock behind the recoil lug found on the action. It's meant as a deterrent for exactly what has happened to you.

Yes it is a potential cause of changing group size since the barreled action has some freedom of movement without consistency. It's getting a run at the recoil lug and cross bolt, causing the wood to crack.

Here is a detail of the crack:
View attachment 199543

The black circle is a type of cross bolt used in building heavier recoiling rifle stocks. These are usually made from ebony. The cross bolt is placed through the stock behind the recoil lug found on the action. It's meant as a deterrent for exactly what has happened to you.

Yes it is a potential cause of changing group size since the barreled action has some freedom of movement without consistency. It's getting a run at the recoil lug and cross bolt, causing the wood to crack.
Would it be a good idea to have the stock repaired? Or do I need to change the stock?

What a beautiful stock. Certainly, that crack is significant. I bet CZ would replace the stock.
I would also epoxy bed the new one to strengthen the recoil mortise (it spreads the recoil force over a wider area).
Thank you very much Bob. I am trying to have the stock replaced by CZ, unfortunately, I was told by the store that I bought the rifle from that they are no longer a dealer of CZ and that I should talk to a different store who are now the dealers of CZ. This is not a CZ stock by the way, I had it made locally, until a replacement stock can be had. I've had bad luck with the stock of this rifle.
271B381E-7CF8-486A-9E9A-AB0570C83FD9.jpeg

Attachments

• 86882BC3-454F-4A5C-A31F-8AB8E4CE3D06.jpeg
    86882BC3-454F-4A5C-A31F-8AB8E4CE3D06.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 327
I would be contacting the CZ distributor and detailing the crack, it should be replaced under warranty.

Cheers.

Would it be a good idea to have the stock repaired? Or do I need to change the stock?

No, do not repair this stock, it will only crack again.

Call CZ in Missouri and discuss your problem with them. It's not your fault the store is no longer a dealer and you didn't make the stock that cracked, CZ did. They will stand behind it.

Thank you very much Bob. I am trying to have the stock replaced by CZ, unfortunately, I was told by the store that I bought the rifle from that they are no longer a dealer of CZ and that I should talk to a different store who are now the dealers of CZ. This is not a CZ stock by the way, I had it made locally, until a replacement stock can be had. I've had bad luck with the stock of this rifle.View attachment 199664
So you are expecting CZ to provide the correct stock and the stock in the above picture was just a temporary thing when it also cracked?
If that is the case, when the new stock comes in, I would have it epoxy bedded.
The other choice is to find an aftermarket stock in a composite and have it bedded.
I bedded a CZ stock on a 223 caliber rifle that the finish was gorgeous, but the fit to the action was horrible. There was such a mismatch in machining the stock it took hours of work just to prepare for epoxy. None of the important contact points were in contact with the action. Basically, the screws were the recoil lugs.
Very sloppy manufacturing.

So you are expecting CZ to provide the correct stock and the stock in the above picture was just a temporary thing when it also cracked?
If that is the case, when the new stock comes in, I would have it epoxy bedded.
The other choice is to find an aftermarket stock in a composite and have it bedded.
I bedded a CZ stock on a 223 caliber rifle that the finish was gorgeous, but the fit to the action was horrible. There was such a mismatch in machining the stock it took hours of work just to prepare for epoxy. None of the important contact points were in contact with the action. Basically, the screws were the recoil lugs.
Very sloppy manufacturing.
I am hoping that I could have my original wood stock from CZ replaced by a composite stock. Yes, I had another wood stock made locally but, it too, cracked on me. Would you say that the crack was because it was bit bedded properly? I had a long time hunter friend who did the epoxy bedding for me. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can.

I am hoping that I could have my original wood stock from CZ replaced by a composite stock. Yes, I had another wood stock made locally but, it too, cracked on me. Would you say that the crack was because it was bit bedded properly? I had a long time hunter friend who did the epoxy bedding for me. I'll post a picture of it as soon as I can.
It was a very involved bedding job I had to do. I had to place small pieces of modeling clay on every contact point in the action to stock.
The mortise where the recoil lug of the action was almost 1/8" higher and suspended the action off the flat bottom of the receiver. I had to use wood chisels to bring the mortise down, re-float the barrel and place a thick layer of epoxy to get the action correct in the stock.
It shot great after but it was the worst metal to wood fit ever seen.
I would expect yours really needs to be looked at closely when you get your stock.
Modeling clay is your friend here to find any poor machining and make corrections before final epoxy.

It was a very involved bedding job I had to do. I had to place small pieces of modeling clay on every contact point in the action to stock.
The mortise where the recoil lug of the action was almost 1/8" higher and suspended the action off the flat bottom of the receiver. I had to use wood chisels to bring the mortise down, re-float the barrel and place a thick layer of epoxy to get the action correct in the stock.
It shot great after but it was the worst metal to wood fit ever seen.
I would expect yours really needs to be looked at closely when you get your stock.
Modeling clay is your friend here to find any poor machining and make corrections before final epoxy.
Oh ok, thank you very much for your advice.

No, do not repair this stock, it will only crack again.

Call CZ in Missouri and discuss your problem with them. It's not your fault the store is no longer a dealer and you didn't make the stock that cracked, CZ did. They will stand behind it.
The original CZ stock I am hoping CZ will replace the stock with a synthetic stock. I am working on this. I would like to know if a crack like the one I have on the wood stock I had made can still be repaired to shoot acceptibly.

Thank you

Well, it can be repaired...but the question is about longevity.
Repairing from the inside would involve drilling and filling the crack, then the outside will need clamping, gluing and a stake inserted and glued. This may or may not last.
Due to those cross bolts, a weak section has been created, somewhere in the bedding is allowing the action to hammer that stock, this is the only way it could crack, unless a horse fell on it.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.