New stock and accuracy.

montanaio17

I just bought a new to me HS precision stock. I have a load right now with my rifle that shoots pretty decent with the factory stock. I will be using the exact reloading supplies. The question I have will I have to start all over with a new reloading load or will it be close to the same just tweak the load a little. I was thinking of reloading some bullets near the load I am using now. Right now I use reloader 25, rem brass and federal 215 primers. The load I shoot right now is 91.5 grains of powder. Thanks Jason.

I just bought a new to me HS precision stock. I have a load right now with my rifle that shoots pretty decent with the factory stock. I will be using the exact reloading supplies. The question I have will I have to start all over with a new reloading load or will it be close to the same just tweak the load a little. I was thinking of reloading some bullets near the load I am using now. Right now I use reloader 25, rem brass and federal 215 primers. The load I shoot right now is 91.5 grains of powder. Thanks Jason.
Changing stocks shouldn't affect your load at all.

what they have said...

make sure you torque the action screws proper, double check for pressure points and make sure barrel is free floated and just re-zero.

shouldn't be off to far....

Plus one on what has been said. This was already mentioned but I just want to give an example. if your prior stock had any contact and your new stock is floated it can change your accuracy load. recently I did some load work for am old rem 700 300 win mag. Had the factory wood stock and was not free floated. I found a load that shot well. Well enough we decided to get a brake and trigger job. Before brake or trigger job though we channeled out the stock to free float it. Went to shoot it and it opened up to 1.5 inches. Shot the same string of loads for development and found the sweet spot had changed. The new accuracy load was even better than before but was definitely different. Just got it back with the new brake etc and duracoated it. I will be putting it all back together in a week or two and see if the brake will change the node. Good luck

Thanks everyone for the help. I should have mentioned the old stock is on a new xcr remington 300 ultra and the barrel is not free floated. The new one will be free floated.

Then I think you will find your load may need to change a litte. It should shoot better though. Only one way to know for sure! Let us know how it goes.

Then I think you will find your load may need to change a litte. It should shoot better though. Only one way to know for sure! Let us know how it goes.
In most cases that's certainly true. Some however just perform much better with a contact point out near the end of the stock.

Barrels are like women. What makes one happy irritates another and what irrated your ex your new wife may love.

Pressure wise and all though it should make no difference whatsoever.

Agreed. I have a few remington in the sps cheap stocks with the pressure point out front that shoot very very well

I hope mine likes the new stock. It does shoot good with the cheap stock and pressure on the end. But I hope it shoots just a little better now. Right now I get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Hoping to get just a little better get it near or under 1/2. But like you guys have said only one way to find out is to go and shoot. I will let you guys know how I do. Right now where I live it is 90 degrees so I don't know when I will shoot. Hope it is soon. Quick question should I load near where my current sweet spot to start say 1 grain above and below my current load. I really don't have alot of reloading supplies right now. Thanks Jason.

I hope mine likes the new stock. It does shoot good with the cheap stock and pressure on the end. But I hope it shoots just a little better now. Right now I get 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Hoping to get just a little better get it near or under 1/2. But like you guys have said only one way to find out is to go and shoot. I will let you guys know how I do. Right now where I live it is 90 degrees so I don't know when I will shoot. Hope it is soon. Quick question should I load near where my current sweet spot to start say 1 grain above and below my current load. I really don't have alot of reloading supplies right now. Thanks Jason.
I'd say just start with what your rifle already likes.

If it doesn't group to suit you, then I'd try half grain increments above and below what you are currently shooting as long as you of course are not already at a max load.

You might even try all three and just see what groups best and then try tweaking again at half grain increments until you find the new sweet spot.

Just depends on how much you want to play with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.