How much can a stock change with proper bedding increase accuracy with a specific ammo?

simone

I wanna know about your real word experience! Also, can bedding and stock upgrade make your rifle favour different ammo than the one he liked before or this is more dependent on chamber and rifling?

For example, a rifle that shoots a soecific factory load 1.5 MOA is likely to get under MOA?

Thank you everyone :)

I wanna know about your real word experience! Also, can bedding and stock upgrade make your rifle favour different ammo than the one he liked before or this is more dependent on chamber and rifling?

For example, a rifle that shoots a soecific factory load 1.5 MOA is likely to get under MOA?

Thank you everyone :)
It is likely to get better. Only way to find out if it will get that much better is to do it and run it! It will be a better shooting experience however, as bedding in a good stock can reduce vibration and felt recoil.

A solid foundation that promotes consistency can never hurt. All my barrels are free floated as well. I'm sure there will be different opinions on that.

One example I can share is my Ruger 22-250. Moving from a B&C stock to a MDT chassis improved the groups from .75 to .45 same ammo
Interesting. Thanks for the first hand experience.

It is likely to get better. Only way to find out if it will get that much better is to do it and run it! It will be a better shooting experience however, as bedding in a good stock can reduce vibration and felt recoil.
Yeah i will do it but I have a concern. I spent 1400 euros for a inletted stock and until now i didn't find the rifle I bought to shoot under MOA with a specific bullet i want to use (with other bullets it shoot 0.6) hunting and since the bedding is not reversible as i understood, i am not sure wether to buy another rifle to put the stock on or try with this one to see if it get at least 0.8 MOA.

Yeah i will do it but I have a concern. I spent 1400 euros for a inletted stock and until now i didn't find the rifle I bought to shoot under MOA with a specific bullet i want to use (with other bullets it shoot 0.6) hunting and since the bedding is not reversible as i understood, i am not sure wether to buy another rifle to put the stock on or try with this one to see if it get at least 0.8 MOA.
Try this one. I bed every single rifle, no matter what with both pillars and glass bedding. Stock bedding costs very little and it is something you can do at home without much effort.

Try this one. I bed every single rifle, no matter what with both pillars and glass bedding. Stock bedding costs very little and it is something you can do at home without much effort.
Since the stock i biught is very expensive, do you think that, in case I make the bedding for this rifle and then I am not satidlsfied with the results i can go back amd make the stock fit to another identical rifle model i would buy?

I mean, if i sell this rifle and buy another one i will lose 300 euros, the stock costs 4 times that price, maybe I should take another spin at the new rifle roulette :)

Maybe i am asking too much and probably the right path would be handloading.. i already found 2 almost half moa factory loads, the fact is that they are low bc bullets and this 308 rifle would be used up to 450 yards..

All these question are obviously due to extreme lack of experience with customization

Since the stock i biught is very expensive, do you think that, in case I make the bedding for this rifle and then I am not satidlsfied with the results i can go back amd make the stock fit to another identical rifle model i would buy?

I mean, if i sell this rifle and buy another one i will lose 300 euros, the stock costs 4 times that price, maybe I should take another spin at the new rifle roulette :)

Maybe i am asking too much and probably the right path would be handloading.. i already found 2 almost half moa factory loads, the fact is that they are low bc bullets and this 308 rifle would be used up to 450 yards..

All these question are obviously due to extreme lack of experience with customization
All good. If you are ok with hunting with the other 2 bullets at .6 - with factory loads, go with it! Glass bed it anyway and enjoy the .6 accuracy with a better shooting experience.
As long as any other rifle is the same action footprint. Theoretically it will work however, for the purest, once you bed an action to a stock, it is thought to be a 1 to 1 marriage

Unfortunately, I don't think you can tell just by looking at it of especially on a forum.

Basically, something is the weak link in your rifle's accuracy. Could be barrel, stock, action, ammo, rest, or even shooter.

A stock does basically 3 things. It holds the barreled action, ideally stress free, to the rest and shooter. It provides an ergonomic interface to the shooter to improve carry, aiming, posture for good force transfer. It also provides a rigid structure holding the barreled action in alignment while the shot is firing, but before dynamic force is fully transferred to the shooter and rest.

If your current stock is flimsy and does not mate well to the action and barrel. Likely a factory plastic stock is the most significant limiting factor in accuracy other than maybe the load or shooter. Just my opinion without knowing anything about your situation.

What is your situation?

"IF" I'm reading correctly from a long ways away, the rifle shoots some loads 0.6", and some 1.5".
So something works that's positive.

A proper assessment of bedding difficult online.

If you are concerned with cost, sometimes a cheap fix is a little forend pressure. Place strips of tape at tip of stock until contact with barrel, with the load you want to shoot. Shoot, monitor, add tape until you find a sweet spot (or not) if it gets better, add tape until it gets worse or settles.

Your better grouping ammo may not like it.

The best place to start is with a properly bedded action, and a free floated barrel. As noted a flimsy stock is not helpful.

Unfortunately, I don't think you can tell just by looking at it of especially on a forum.

Basically, something is the weak link in your rifle's accuracy. Could be barrel, stock, action, ammo, rest, or even shooter.

A stock does basically 3 things. It holds the barreled action, ideally stress free, to the rest and shooter. It provides an ergonomic interface to the shooter to improve carry, aiming, posture for good force transfer. It also provides a rigid structure holding the barreled action in alignment while the shot is firing, but before dynamic force is fully transferred to the shooter and rest.

If your current stock is flimsy and does not mate well to the action and barrel. Likely a factory plastic stock is the most significant limiting factor in accuracy other than maybe the load or shooter. Just my opinion without knowing anything about your situation.

What is your situation?
Ok so if the bedding and the stock upgrade improves accuracy mostly because of an improved shooting/gun interface amd ease of use, i doubt it will make my groups much tighter cause i have always shot good groups with standard factory stocks, which are not on the same level of this one. I understood that there is also something related to armonics, not of the barrel this time, but of the stock. I don't know man, i am probably saying something very stupid ahah

"IF" I'm reading correctly from a long ways away, the rifle shoots some loads 0.6", and some 1.5".
So something works that's positive.

A proper assessment of bedding difficult online.

If you are concerned with cost, sometimes a cheap fix is a little forend pressure. Place strips of tape at tip of stock until contact with barrel, with the load you want to shoot. Shoot, monitor, add tape until you find a sweet spot (or not) if it gets better, add tape until it gets worse or settles.

Your better grouping ammo may not like it.

The best place to start is with a properly bedded action, and a free floated barrel. As noted a flimsy stock is not helpful.
I already have the stock and the rifle and i waited to find a sub moa load i like for my applications before marrying this action to the stock, which as i understood is a irreversible process, because i don't wanna waste that stock if i won't be satisfied with the results because of money and waiting time. Maybe i am asking too much for a rifle i don't handload for, maybe i am overthinking this.

I still have a couple ammo to try: fiocchi loaded with 165 gr sierra gameking, someting factory with tipped sierra gameking and hornady sst 165 gr.

It can make a huge difference. I have a Win M70 featherweight classic in .270 that had like a hot glue type bedding from the factory. I struggled with that rifle for a good while. I found one factory load that shot somewhat decent in it and everything else was 2" or more at 100 yards. I pulled it apart and discovered the soft plastic hot melt bedding. I removed all of that, glass bedded the action and floated the barrel. Now that rifle is one of the least picky rifles I have. It shoots everything pretty dang well for a lightweight rifle. Most loads I have tried are under an inch.

A friend and I had the exact same rifle and the exact same caliber. the only difference was I had put an aftermarket stock on mine and bedded it.
the rifle kicked like a mule and was over one MOA no matter what I fed it. The new stock had a good recoil pad and had better geometry.
All that said after changing stock and better, the gun was .6 moa with factory and sub .5 moa with its favorite handload.