Improving the 308 Win performance

I ran the numbers based off the stated BC and a velocity of 3150fps sea level and 59*.....it could very well be a 800-900yrd elk rifle in the right hands in the right situation. And that's just going off the numbers alone.....energy requirements can certainly be debated.
Glad you did it at sea level pressure. At 4500 ft elevation the numbers are better, namely retained energy and velocity at distance

Here is a average Joe DIY guy doing a gel test on it at about 1800 fps entry into the gel. Not from a 308 but this is strictly a velocity/expansion type test.

Nice test. Demonstrated that both broaching styles opened up at low velocities that hover around 1700 fps. That is exactly what I observed with a similar gel test of the 160gr .284SBD-2. He had sufficient RPM on the bullet at that low speed to go pretty straight beyond 16". Expansion was at 3" do that the Elk heart would have seen the expanded bullet, as well as both lungs on a broadside shot.

Last edited:
Folks act like the 308 has never been used for anything, SMH

It must be the younger generation, or maybe marketing, who have all the latest and greatest gear and new cartridges. Decades ago, many of us were shooting the 308 and 30-06 on the 800 to 1,000yd lines and most everything in-between and sometimes beyond. It has killed untold game, and people, and did and does so with many "old school" bullets. Even better with some modern styles.

Don't get me wrong, I own and use a lot of faster, higher energy and flatter cartridges, but never think many of the older cartridges do not work with proper loads and in capable hands.

True, but as in automobiles we can get a lot more out if any given displacement than we used to. A good example is my brother. He has modified his 300ZX to the max getting over 580 HP at the rear wheels from a 190 cu in engine dynomometer proven. Large rifle primers. Single base powder low BC jacketed lead core bullets were innovations in WWI. Relative progress in small arms ammunition has been slow since relative to that seen in artillery. Today a 155 mm US M777 can shoot a gps guided projectile 24 miles and hit within10 ft of the intended target (0.27MOA accuracy!). So figuring out the right components to improve the performance of the 308Win seems like child's play.
As you know the more hp you put on an engine the less life it has, the same with a rifle barrel the hotter the load the less rounds it will shoot. Happy shooting.

That is less than half the life of a regular used 308 barrel.
I said 2000++. That leaves a lot of room. It outdoes any ELR rifle. If you want to measure the throat life of a 308 shooting projectiles at 3000 fps be my guest. If one uses our bullets you will not need to push them really fast to outrun other bullets in the same wt class at the same speed. Because one can get 3200 from our 150 Gr BD2 does not mean he has to run at that speed all the time.