.308 win

I don't hunt Africa but I do hunt deer and swage 30 cal Bullets. I have a 1:8 barrel for my Encore and shoot nothing but 220+ grain Bullets through it. I'm getting 2400 FPS with the 220 class Bullets and they do the job on deer. They expand, but there is no meat damage and they will penetrate. Similar to a cast Bullet. If you run the numbers on a 220 grain Bullet running 2400 FPS, it's got some steam behind it. I need to swage up some high BC stuff and see how that does but for 200 yards and under, there's not much I would hunt with that combo.
J

The good old 308 Winchester is taking a small lick'en from the 6.5 group of rifles,,, but the upper hand is still at play with the 08 cartrige...

They come in bellow the 1000 mark in the over bore chart,,, 0.835 which is awesome when it comes to barrel longevity...
Ha...

When the 6.5's are ready for barrel replacements the old school 308's are just getting broke in,,, a good quality factory barrel will last a long time,,, top tear stainless steel pipes even longer...

When the barrel looses it's 1/4" to 1/2" MOA they are still good to hunt with even if it falls into the 1 to 1 1/2" MOA...

A 2 MOA rifle was the go to unit back in the old days,,, most hunts took place from point blank to 140 yards,,, most kills were under the 100 yard mark...this would be the worst case scenario...

The top 5 cartridges up here in our neck of the woods is the 30/06,,, 270,,, 7mm Mag,,, 308,,, and the 303 British... Of course there are 10.000 +++ cartridges to choose from as well...

Out of 1600 club shooters at our range,,, 80 to 85% of them fit into the mid-size case category... 7mm-08,,, 7x57,,, 6.5 Sweed,,, Creedmoor,,, 280's,,, 338/06,,, 243,,, 25/06 and two hand full of others that leed or follow along...

The 30/06 is pretty popular,,, the 308 is the smaller bother yet it holds its own in todays latest and greatest...

Like one of the post in this thread said,,, the 308 Winchester is boring and bland,,, it offers nothing more then most,,, yet it is top tear over some...

Both the 06 & 08 have a place to remain in the Americas,,, there like hot baked apple pie with cinnamon topped off with vanilla ice-cream...

The 30/06 has been the corner stone that got it going,,, the 308 followed suit alot later,,, only time will tell if they hold in there for another 100 years from where there at at this point in time...

Its fun looking back on the old cartridges that many of us grew up with,,, not the best of the best,,, not the worst either... Ha

Cheers from the North

Building a 308 Tikka T3x now. Bartlein 1:10 5R barrel, M24 contour, finished at 25 inches. GRS Sporter stock. 20MOA rail. Factory trigger.
Amateur.
D717BEC7-BE09-4345-A68A-BBB24F3FD41C.jpeg
E051CD92-2AB5-4ACA-8A96-269B42B7DB22.jpeg
F8B60F55-AE9C-43FA-AAA4-FE804C297F7F.jpeg

Ive buying bulk,,, I still have 19 boxes of 178gr A-Maxs,,, and a verity of 20 to 30.000 other mixed 308 bullets... Ha...

Did you know that it takes 14 eight lb jugs of Varget to fill 2 five gallon pales Cnd size... About 60 lbs each...

Oh Boy,,, I have alot of shooting for the years ahead... Ha

When I started I had 1800 168 AMax but being the nice guy I am I helped some buddies out so I reckon I'm going to give the elds a go
I got some Sierra game changers but I haven't found load I like yet
Also 300 178 AMaxs is all I got left

Ive buying bulk,,, I still have 19 boxes of 178gr A-Maxs,,, and a verity of 20 to 30.000 other mixed 308 bullets... Ha...

Did you know that it takes 14 eight lb jugs of Varget to fill 2 five gallon pales Cnd size... About 60 lbs each...

Oh Boy,,, I have alot of shooting for the years ahead... Ha
Yes sir you got enough to last a day or two
Impressive

Hi!

One question, a friend of mine purchased yesterday a Bergara BMP 308 chambered, with 20 inches barrel. 1-10 twisted

DO you guys know a good bullet to prepare the first loads? I only shoot the 6.5 creedmoor so I have not experience with 308 (I am also novice with 6.5)

thanks a lot in advance

The 175 class of bullet is a and bit better in the wind. Other great powders for the 308 are Rl 15 IMR 4064 4451 Shooters world Precision works at least as well for temp stability and is available online with haz-mat deals for 4 or more pounds when on sale at Mid-South.
I would start by ordering a box of David Tubb's 308 50 count boxes of ammunition. If it shoots and it should save one round to reverse engineer. Buy wolf or cci br2 primers varget and 175 smks. Use the same charge and same length and your good to go.

a Few months back I picked up a tikka CTR in 308. I own a few really nice fire-breathing customs and love them. Finally shot the Tikka yesterday and just gotta say, it's kinda nice. Low recoil, no super-dooper intense reloading regimen, just bought 60 rounds of factory ammo ( Federal GMM168s) and made some pretty good shots out to around 825 on MOA sized targets. It was swell.... that's all I got ta say about that.

I feel the same way about my .260's. So much show I shot them almost exclusively for about four or five years.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.