.308 win

The 175 class of bullet is a and bit better in the wind. Other great powders for the 308 are Rl 15 IMR 4064 4451 Shooters world Precision works at least as well for temp stability and is available online with haz-mat deals for 4 or more pounds when on sale at Mid-South.
I'd be interested in where you're getting reloading data for 4451. I know Hodgdon doesn't list any. Thanks

Hadn't used 4166
If you are looking for speed in the tactical bullet weights it's touchy slow the node is about 1/2grain and fast showed a swipe in winter. With the 195 tmk I'm close to the same speed as CFE223 with .7grain widow to play in and a grain off the top. I only bought 100 195's and 1 pound so it's on the back burner as both are less than 30% left

I love my PSS 308 win ever since the family got it for me as a home coming gift in 1991. Still shoots well today with a ton of rounds through it. I feed it 168-175 gr SMK's, Bergers, and CC's no issue with any of them. I still have a 250 box of the original 168gr J4 Noslers. I may have to get a small drill bit and clear the noses and use those this spring. TAC, RL15, and IMR 4064 have been what I used the most. TAC has been my recent favorite powder but I may go back to IMR 4064. That's the thing with the 308 win, it's super easy and predictable to work with.

a Few months back I picked up a tikka CTR in 308. I own a few really nice fire-breathing customs and love them. Finally shot the Tikka yesterday and just gotta say, it's kinda nice. Low recoil, no super-dooper intense reloading regimen, just bought 60 rounds of factory ammo ( Federal GMM168s) and made some pretty good shots out to around 825 on MOA sized targets. It was swell.... that's all I got ta say about that.
I have one in a 40X Rangemaster. Love it for lr steel and groundhogs w/110 vmax. Lights out accurate.

I have rekindled my love affair with my .308, which I had placed in dry-dock, back in January of 2016 when I got my 6.5x47L and went headlong into 6.5 Nirvana. I feel like a teenager again!

I've posted about my next rifle, asking you guys what I should get in a nice light-weight hybrid type semi- "long rangeish" rifle. I've kinda got my eyes on a Seekins Havak Element, and was disappointed that they did not offer a 7mm-08. I was at the range yesterday, shooting my Savage FCP-SR - that .308 I put away 3 years ago, printing .25 to .5 MOA groups with boring regularity with that new ELD-M load you guys advised me on. There was a nice guy there (funny how you always seem to run into nice people at the range - If you're not running into Schmucks) and he was kind enough to let me spin his Silencerco Harvester onto my Savage. My son and I had the pleasure of shooting suppressed for the first time - and we were hooked.

Anyway, I told this guy about my agonizing over what cartridge to get next........that I was considering a 7mm-08, PRC, etc. He looked at me and said, "Why don't you just get a .308?" The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking he's right.

My 308 worked well for one of my students yesterday 480yds 3 shots. He also printed about a 4" group on the 8" plate at 650yds. Not long range by most standards but you could tell it meant a lot to him and the other 3 guys who also made at least moa sized groups to the same distances. All 4 first time ast 100yds

Attachments

• 480 RSG.jpg
    480 RSG.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 101
  • 650yd gong.jpg
    650yd gong.jpg
    743.1 KB · Views: 119
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts