Improving the 308 Win performance

Yes! Definitely! Let's be ethical and respectful towards the game we pursue and save that " long range" for steel targets. If you can't get closer than 600 yards, maybe one needs to learn how to hunt. I promise, if you can shoot Moa groups at 1000 yards or beyond, making an ethical shot at 25- 200 yards should be quite easy. Lots of things, mostly bad, can happen at long range, that's why they call it hunting, not shooting in my humble opinion.
I've called elk within 10 ft of me and spot and stalked pigs with in 50 yards. And I partly agree. At this point in my life I just don't have the physical ability to get within 600 yards of deer or elk in the terrain or conditions in my area. If I did I would. Even in my twenties it would take a day or two of low crawling.

Yes! Definitely! Let's be ethical and respectful towards the game we pursue and save that " long range" for steel targets. If you can't get closer than 600 yards, maybe one needs to learn how to hunt. I promise, if you can shoot Moa groups at 1000 yards or beyond, making an ethical shot at 25- 200 yards should be quite easy. Lots of things, mostly bad, can happen at long range, that's why they call it hunting, not shooting in my humble
And LRH rule #1 is…….

"This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted."

Sad Charlie Brown GIF

And LRH rule #1 is…….

"This is a privately owned site developed to foster discussions about Long Range Hunting between like minded hunters.
  1. We do not discuss ethics. To do so will result in the post or posts being edited or deleted."
I don't call it " Hunting " If it is not ethical. I don't see how one could call it hunting if making ethical decisions were not a component. Who would " we" be?

Yes! Definitely! Let's be ethical and respectful towards the game we pursue and save that " long range" for steel targets. If you can't get closer than 600 yards, maybe one needs to learn how to hunt. I promise, if you can shoot Moa groups at 1000 yards or beyond, making an ethical shot at 25- 200 yards should be quite easy. Lots of things, mostly bad, can happen at long range, that's why they call it hunting, not shooting in my humble opinion.
I agree with much of what you said, but I don't want to engage in a long and drawn out ethical discussion. ELR, bench rest shooting, and F class are popular competative platforms but the guns used are far removed from guns used in routine rifle hunting. The guns used in those sports are very impractical to hunt with, especially ELR type rifles. 1000 yds is a long way, and in my opinion is about as long a shot as a hunter can take to place a bullet within 1/2 to 1 moa of his aim point with a cold bore shot. Additionally a kill at that distance means the hunter has to walk at least twice that to retrieve his animal. The further out one shoots the better BC looks because things like wind drift, bullet drop, Coriolis effect become significant. A high BC bullet will retain a greater amount of its original muzzle speed and energy than a low BC bullet because of the shorter flight time. The high BC bullet also will impact with greater speed and energy at distance making longer shots feasible. What the distance limit each individual hunter is comfortable with is highly individualized, but shooting a high BC bullet never hurts at any distance.

Last edited:
900 yards? I have probably taken 30 or more elk, most being 25 -50 yards . My point is that elk are pretty easy to get quite close before you Shooting them just below the ear or between their eyes! In my humble opinion there should be no need to risk shooting at 900 yards!! Lots of things can go wrong at that distance snd elk can be tough to take down at such and great distance when it is quite easy to get within 100 yards max. Most of the time a properly placed 22 Magnum is all you will ever need, but that caliber is illegal for elk but they do work quite well if you aim at the right place ( between the eyes) You don't want to lose an animal because of inadequate ft pound of energy or bullet drift into a non- instant & lethal shot placement.
I have seen videos of Cape Buffalo killed with spears, but that doesn't mean that that's the way most non-native hunters would want to take a Buff. Are you able to hunt Antelope in Wyoming or South Dakota at 50 yds with a 22 mag?

Why is it that someone is always trying to tell someone else how to live their lives (ie, in this discussion, what is ethical or not)? Each person has their own definition of what is ethical. My ethics for long range hunting is totally based upon my skills and each situation, not what someone else may think my ethics should be.

Rule Number 1
Rules are posted at the bottom right side of the screen. They need to be read. A long shot is what you are capable of and that is different with every shooter. I am not capable of some shots that some members are capable taking. That makes me strive to be a better shooter through reloading and practice. My limits do not effect my judgement on others. We don't need hunters and shooters turning on each other. My 2 cents. 3 cents with taxes.