Improving the 308 Win performance

Think about it. Smaller pocket in the same size case head. More material in the head results in primer pockets lasting longer in MOST cases. I run magnum primers on some of the above mentioned cartridges.
I did think about it. I am asking about the powder burn rates due to a small rifle primer vs a large one.

I did think about it. I am asking about the powder burn rates due to a small rifle primer vs a large one.
I getchya. So when I run RL26 in my 6.5 Lapua Creedmoor SRP Brass I run SRP Magnum primers. Same in my 6.5x47. Sometimes the SRP magnum primer is needed and sometimes it's not. It just comes down to testing what primer works best. If case is near max fill more than likely a SRP mag primer is best my experience.

@nralifer , have you had the time to ascertain the water capacity difference between the fireformed Lapua SRP and Remington SRP?
No but the Rem SRP is behaving similarly to the Lapua SRP. Pic shows CCI450 primer before and after firing from the Rem case using the 150BD2 and 49.5 gr LVR fired from Savage 26" barrel. Waiting for weather to improve so I can use my radar to check comparative speeds. My guess right now is that the MV was around 3100 fps for that shot, but that is just a guess. The bolt lift was easy and as you can see no ejector swipe. Bullet hit within 1/2" of aim point.

Attachments

• 3D7BEAAA-B9DD-4F6B-8CAF-49052FA2F3A5.jpeg
    3D7BEAAA-B9DD-4F6B-8CAF-49052FA2F3A5.jpeg
    302.2 KB · Views: 48
Now in stock in containers of 100. Good stuff and it goes quick! 100 boxes in there now. My new PBB 10 twist should be here in a few days.

Better get while the gettin's good. I think SRP is the way to go in the 308 and related cases. Great info💪

No but the Rem SRP is behaving similarly to the Lapua SRP. Pic shows CCI450 primer before and after firing from the Rem case using the 150BD2 and 49.5 gr LVR fired from Savage 26" barrel. Waiting for weather to improve so I can use my radar to check comparative speeds. My guess right now is that the MV was around 3100 fps for that shot, but that is just a guess. The bolt lift was easy and as you can see no ejector swipe. Bullet hit within 1/2" of aim point.

The primer indent looks like it could be pushed a little more. Thank you for sharing.

LVR appeara to be close to the same burn rate as the 2000MR. In my double lugged I ran 50 grains pushing the 168 Hybrids at 2800 using the Remington SRP and CCI 450 or 41. Precision is excellent through 1000 yards

Last edited:
Just curious, can you over-twist a bullet?
Yes. This happens not infrequently with lead core jacketed bullets. Have seen it first hand in lead core jacketed 30 cal bullets shot from 300 Norma Improved with a 7.5 twist barrel that otherwise shot our 215 gr ICBM2 bullets to 1/2 MOA. In general the larger the caliber, the tighter the twist and the faster the MV the more likely a lead core bullet will fall apart in mid flight because of the centrifugal forces acting on the jacket to swell it and separate it from the lead core. Probability increases when bullet RPMs reach about 312,000. Does not happen with solid copper or brass bullets.

Last edited:
308 is one well constructed cartridge. Good for almost any animal. Bullet selection is superb. Choose the right powder, bullet and in my case with a lrm primer it is wondeful.
By the way I use magnum primers for all my calibers.

308 is one well constructed cartridge. Good for almost any animal. Bullet selection is superb. Choose the right powder, bullet and in my case with a lrm primer it is wondeful.
By the way I use magnum primers for all my calibers.
I'm gonna switch to magnums for everything when I run out of regulars. Across the board KISS

Just curious, can you over-twist a bullet?
It comes down to bullet rotation as previously mentioned. RPMs is a product of twist rate but also of velocity. Running a lead core bullet in a 308 you'd be hard pressed to get something going fast enough to over twist if you're using an 8 or slower, which is about all you'll find pre-made barrels in. If you stay over 150gn you won't do it, if you go find some flat base 30BR bullets you might get to the edge of doing it.

What is "better"?
Flatter trajectory? Use a lighter bullet
More energy? Use a heavier bullet
More speed? Use a longer barrel or some of the newer powders.
More energy at subsonic speeds? Use the heaviest bullet your twist will allow.
You can try a bullet with less engraving pressure/shorter bearing length to increase your speeds too--certain monos and cup/core bullets would fall under this area

But every cartridge has its limitations

Ive gotten a178 ahh up to 2950fps from a 21" 30-06.
I havent had time yet to fool with that bullet in the 308, but I will try it at some point.

Just remember that you'll need enough energy for the animal you're hunting AND you'll need enough speed for reliable expansion for the bullet your using.

What is "better"?
Flatter trajectory? Use a lighter bullet
More energy? Use a heavier bullet
More speed? Use a longer barrel or some of the newer powders.
More energy at subsonic speeds? Use the heaviest bullet your twist will allow.
You can try a bullet with less engraving pressure/shorter bearing length to increase your speeds too--certain monos and cup/core bullets would fall under this area

But every cartridge has its limitations

Ive gotten a178 ahh up to 2950fps from a 21" 30-06.
I havent had time yet to fool with that bullet in the 308, but I will try it at some point.

Just remember that you'll need enough energy for the animal you're hunting AND you'll need enough speed for reliable expansion for the bullet your using.
I'm well aware of that. BC is the thing that is needed to maximize energy at any distance.