If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

a good ole' fashion Remington 760 in 30/06....with the proper bullet it'll handle anything you can hit...
Is that the pump action, mule kicking, sob that Remington made? If it is my dad had one of those. Someone owed him money or something. Dude's probably still laughing. I inherited it, shot it once, conned a friend into helping me sight it in, he shot it once, so I gave it to my brother in law. He's got more padding than I do :)

Is that the pump action, mule kicking, sob that Remington made? If it is my dad had one of those. Someone owed him money or something. Dude's probably still laughing. I inherited it, shot it once, conned a friend into helping me sight it in, he shot it once, so I gave it to my brother in law. He's got more padding than I do :)
All the famous white tail hunting Benoint family members of Vermont all used Remington 760's in -06.

All the famous white tail hunting Benoint family members of Vermont all used Remington 760's in -06.
No doubt it's a great round. The 760 Gamemaster that I owned and shot had a steel buttplate for a recoil pad and it would rattle my teeth. My brother-in-law liked it.

Well, to name Firearms, not calibers, I'd have to start with my Win. 97, 12ga, 30"td. I love my Browning BPS, But the 97 is a tried and true item. #2 would be my Marlin 336SC, It handles well in cover,or a blind, and the .35Rem gets the job done. #3 would be my Win m69a .22. It has a 24" barrel, and is still very accurate for it's age. Especially now that it wears a scope.

So I gave my answer many pages ago, but someone said we also explain why. So here goes.

A rimfire, a shotgun, and a center fire. Which ones?

Rimfire: CZ 457 with 17HMR, 22LR, & 22WM barrels.

Shotgun: Mossberg 500 series with a 20" Security, 28" Smoothbore with all the chokes, and 26" Slug barrel.

Centerfire: Zermatt Arms Ti3 Long Action. Barrels? All aren't known yet. The for sures are 223/5.56, 6CM, 308/7.62, all of PRCs, plus one each of a 338, & a 375. Haven't picked them yet. Probably go with MDT's stock/chassis, the HNT26, at least to start. I would definitively a fancy wood show off stock, and a full dress chassis too.

Now the why. Because you need each type of long gun, and different jobs require different tools. The more the better.

There you have it 3 long guns to do it all.

Last edited:
Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?
A little one, a big one & a 12 gauge. 😄

22 LR - plenty of ammo available, light, good survival gun -will do in a pinch
30-06 - plenty of ammo available, can take down just about anything
then I'm torn between a 6.5 CM - in case there's an alien invasion and I need to be able to shoot lasers at orbiting spacecraft...
or a 12 ga shotgun - plenty of ammo available, handy in close when discretion isn't a concern and you never know how little those little green aliens will be

Recent Posts