If you could only have 3 long guns, which would you choose?

Maybe I should pair down my collection. Truthfully, I have my favorites and the others could be framed and hung on a wall. Some are invaluable but for sentimental reasons. I'm not asking for those to be included in the list. But let's say, purely for whimsical gab, that you could only have 3 calibers, any calibers, which would you choose?
22 long rifle, 300 win mag, 243 win

It absolutely cracks me up to read what people on this website consider a LONG GUN!! 22's Shot guns, really!!!
I have looked and thought about this question quite a bit the pass 4 years sense I have gotten into long range shooting and have my own range out 1355 yards. Over my life time and I'm 65, have bought all different kinds of gun's and I have come up with the fact that what I really want is 3 to 5 guns that are tack drives. I have also found out that I can't shoot them all and all they do is collect dust in my 3 gun safe's and with the cost of a custom tack drive rifle why not sell the ones I don't shoot and put that money towards the 3 to 5 I do shoot.
So back to the question at hand, (1) 6.5 creed, (2) 7 PRC, (3) 300 Win. or PRC.

I live in Northwestern Alaska, at the beginning of the Kobuk river Delta. We have and hunt all sorts of critters for food.. (Fish alot too).. 17 HM2 for smaller game, 223/5.56 for medium sized game and I really like my good ol 30-06.. 125 - 220 grain, mostly 165 for Caribou, 180 for Moose & 220 for Dem Grizzlies.. Also must have the 12 guage for ducks and geese..
Do the locals consider the 06 enough for grizzlies/brown bears?

It absolutely cracks me up to read what people on this website consider a LONG GUN!! 22's Shot guns, really!!!
I have looked and thought about this question quite a bit the pass 4 years sense I have gotten into long range shooting and have my own range out 1355 yards. Over my life time and I'm 65, have bought all different kinds of gun's and I have come up with the fact that what I really want is 3 to 5 guns that are tack drives. I have also found out that I can't shoot them all and all they do is collect dust in my 3 gun safe's and with the cost of a custom tack drive rifle why not sell the ones I don't shoot and put that money towards the 3 to 5 I do shoot.

I too am a little like RR……but, just a little!

I question the many posts that have 2 if not all three chosen cartridges have complete "overlap" …….virtually identical performance!

Under the presumption that these are the only long guns we would have for a lifetime……having 3 of the same thing seems a bit odd! No matter how good that one cartridge/firearm is!

Just a little confused! mini-rant over! memtb

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230401_093437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230401_093437_Chrome.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 31
Deer, pheasants, ducks, geese,turkey, rabbits, are some of the game animals a shotgun can put on the table. Wouldn't want to leave a shotgun, off a list, of only 3 long guns to choose from. Browning Superposed 20 gauge 3" mag, rifled slug over 6 shot and go from a Whitetail to a Woodcock, with the flick of a switch!

Last edited: