If you could have a manufacturer build a bullet, what would it be ?

In what way? I've tried a lot of copper bullets and traditional cup/core hunting bullets kill way faster and leave better blood trails in the cartridges I shoot.

I guess it depends upon the game being shot and the ranges! Generally speaking, a typical cup and core at a modest impact velocity will do great on most game…..unless a great deal of penetration is required! Often their large frontal area due to expansion, and their typical bullet weight loss hinders penetration!

The game changes a bit if the impact velocity is high, and the game being shot may require several feet of penetration to get to the vitals…..often encountering thick hide, heavy bone, and/or dense muscle in route to the vitals.

The coppers will do pretty well on smaller big game, provided the impact velocity is within the velocity expansion window! memtb

I guess it depends upon the game being shot and the ranges! Generally speaking, a typical cup and core at a modest impact velocity will do great on most game…..unless a great deal of penetration is required! Often their large frontal area due to expansion, and their typical bullet weight loss hinders penetration!

The game changes a bit if the impact velocity is high, and the game being shot may require several feet of penetration to get to the vitals…..often encountering thick hide, heavy bone, and/or dense muscle in route to the vitals.

The coppers will do pretty well on smaller big game, provided the impact velocity is within the velocity expansion window! memtb

You talked about cup and core in comparison with mono and penetration but what about bonded, controlled expansion bullets?

You talked about cup and core in comparison with mono and penetration but what about bonded, controlled expansion bullets?

I have no personal experience with the bonded or controlled expansion (other than a Nosler Partition) bullets. I was generally pleased with Nosler Partitions and the Hornady SP performance on game.

I was however disappointed with the Nosler Partition with high velocity impacts as the front end would lose all of it's lead with the jacket "folding" rather tightly back around the base….leaving the remaining bullet not a great deal larger than the bullet starting diameter.

The Hornady SP's with a high velocity impact, would expand back to the interlock area, giving a great deal of frontal area, but also shedding about 40% of their original weight. The large frontal area and the substantial weight loss reduced the penetration.

These two examples, and having been "turned onto" the Barnes Original X Bullet around 1991 or 92….is how I became an advocate of the mono bullets! As Barnes improved their technology with new bullet introductions, I followed along by purchasing and using their new bullets!

But, if they're constructed as advertised…..I see them as a bridge between the typical cup and core and the monos!

So, likely pretty good bullets for most hunting scenarios! JMO memtb

Last edited:
Pretty much boils down to a new sexy heavy for caliber high bc partition.
80gr in 224
140gr in 25 cal
185gr in 7mm
210gr in 30 cal
I'd take 1000 of each.
Sure they cant get all the other ones made as is, but if they made this they could pretty well eliminate the rest of the product lines ha.

Recent Posts