I Know This Is LRH... But What Is The Shortest Distance You Have Taken A Live Target?

I live up in the Ozark Mountains and there are trees everywhere here, therefore we get extremely few shots past 100 yds on deer, but that also means that deer can come right up on you in no time without you even realizing it.

My shortest shot that I have ever taken a whitetail deer is about 5 feet! Yep, 1.666 yds with a crossbow. What is your shortest shot?

View attachment 569619 This isn't the doe I shot at 5ft, but it shows how close they get.
back in the adiroundacks I powder burnt a white tail with a 46 inch barrel flint lock 58 cal end of barrel was with in inches of his head when I shot

Cow elk at 0"! I didn't even shoulder my rifle.
Sitting on a stump over looking a draw, I heard some "thumps" behind me, thinking it was snow falling from the tree limbs I didn't pay much attention. Then I felt something on the back of my neck, I turned to see nostrils!!

She ran by my right shoulder, I stuck the barrel in her ribs and pulled the trigger. The old 30-06 did the trick she piled up right there at my feet. She had powder burns on her side.

Last edited:
I've shot two deer at 10 feet or less. The first was a small buck in North Carolina from a tree stand, maybe ten feet, straight down with an arrow into its spine. The other was a nice 4x4 jumped by a friend directly to me on a dead run. He stopped 5 feet from me with a 5-foot fir tree between us. My shotgun was pointed at him from my hip. I clicked the safety off and he leapt just to the left. As he passed at about 3 feet, I put a slug in his head still from the hip. His head dropped and his horns stuck into the soft swamp mud causing his body to flip in a perfect summersault. He ended up flat on his back, legs akimbo.

Whitetail buck from the hip inches from the muzzle 30-06. Slipped in on a power line way before daylight and was standing against a powerpole when I heard a noise and saw this young Whitetail buck getting up from his bed in a depression. He shook off the started walking directly to me from 45 yds away nibbling acorns along the way. I just lowered my rifle slowly and let him come. He would have literally walked into me had I not pulled the trigger. Shot was from the hip. That was cool.

With a rifle, 11 yards in Georgia. The Berger bullet you could say worked as I found the deer the next day about 250 yards away with no blood trail whatsoever. I only found it due to the fact the second Buck I shot at 40 yards the next day ran in the same direction. Both were perfect broadside shots. As accurate as they are, I won't use Bergers if there's any chance of close work again. I ranged both locations after the shots (especially the second) so I could go back and look for blood again. This was from a blind. I thought I'd missed. I was annoyed as I am super confident with that rifle. My thought on that is at that velocity, only one of the petals opened and steered the bullet. There was lung damage but you couldn't see an entry or an exit. Not sure, just my guess.

30 yards with a Interlock absolutely walloped a whitetail at home in MT. Didn't go 10yards. Spot and stalk.

A bit closer with a bow, I don't range with my long bow.

About 45 years ago In Tennessee, less then a few feet from the end of the barrel of my 30-30 Winchester 94
IMG_0189.jpeg

Wow, I thought I was country, and then I started reading y'all's post about hand to hand combat with a family of skunks, clubbing porcupines in the head, and such. Wow, you fellers are country!

I mean one time while I was preaching a skunk came to the front door of the church and 3 men went out to dispatch it, but they only had 1 .22 rifle, but no shells. Then a guy named Red had one .22lr in his ash tray, so they gave it to Hank to shoot but then Hank missed, so Hank trying to regain pride went to his truck, got a pitchfork, and then pitchforked the skunk to death. All 3 men came back inside the church while I was finishing up preaching all smelling like skunk. I thought the ladies were gonna come unglued!