I’m Making The Switch

Have two Savages now. One in the Flat Back, I picked up here and have swapped barrels on it a few times. Word of caution. Make sure you are buying current as finding stock manufacturers for this old Flat Back has been challenging (you can have aftermarket inlet for you, but it is $$$). Savage has changed action screw spacing and I think manufacturers are just get tired up trying to keep up. McMillan inletted this for it, but no longer will do it. I just swapped them around and now it is sitting in a Savage 338 Lapua (same action size).

View attachment 475877
I can confirm this as I have 2 stealth's (338lm & 300wm). Both use a cip mag (3.850) and I've swapped out chassis between them on deciding which to use. On another note: the newer 338lm's are using a different recoil lug (not sure if it's size and/or shape differently) as stocks won't be as interchangeable?

A stock for my SavLA has been a challenge. One of the premier name stock mfg's won't even make a stock for them because they don't like where the rear action screw is (stock strength issue according to them).
That's just idiotic as the trigger guard screw is further back and still plenty of meat behind the rear action screw.

I bought my first Savage about 15 years ago. Now I have ten. Mostly bought used and re-barreled in a chambering of my choice.

Just fyi, I have settled on the large shank, target-style (ejection port rather than open-top) actions. Model 12 LRP in short action and 110 .338 Lapua in long action. I'm very happy with those actions.

I have a Lapua .338. It is my only LR rifle that I have not done a thing with. Drove to my CO place Saturday to escape the heat of PHX and yesterday shot it twice at my 760 gong in two different wind conditions. Both shots were well within 5" from center.

What do I not like about Savage? The extraction is pretty weak - anything a bit hot results in a stuck case, but no big deal. My current LM load is 87 grains of 8133 under a 285 ELD. Velocity is 2705. I get the "clicking" bolt lift but they always come out and primer pockets stay tight for a long time.

McMillan had (required) me send them the barreled action to inlet for it. They would not do the "lightweight" fill for it. This may be why. If all is done right anyway, the lug takes all the force and the action screws should float in the pillars and not touch.

It just has to do with selling big time action makers. McMillan used to make a stock inlet (A5) for Savage. I am sure someone got into with each other as they no longer do it and old Beck took over.

While I love Winchester Rifles and am a huge fan of tang safety River's I have been a Remington guy for the most part, with that being said the Savage rifle has always intrigued me and I have had a few and let them go and have regretted it so I'm making the switch to Savage, I've got 2 actions on the way as well as stocks and other odds and ends for about a third of the cost of the Remington components.
It falls right in with my do more with less mindset so we'll see, I'm off and running, another 25 cal something or another is first on the list
Bean
Is that .25-6.5RPM out there on the horizon?

Herer are a couple pictures if my build.

69948638850__2E41D6E6-B355-41DB-BCAA-96A415DD7DD2.jpg
69947869188__7348E61A-6D4B-46AD-8897-9A14A523FBCB.jpg
69948638850__2E41D6E6-B355-41DB-BCAA-96A415DD7DD2.jpg

Hey fellas,
pure precision is Inletting their altitude stocks for short & long savages.

Top bolt release is inlet for AICS DBM's only (older blind magazine flat backs are not being inlet).

Bottom release actions are inlet for the factory DBM & mags.

they have turned out really nice.

Shane, that is the stock Savage bottom metal, but it now has a different set up that looks really good. I will get some pictures later. I had this rifle built at a local smith and have had a couple of issues which I don't think are related to building on a Savage action but hopefully I will get to shoot it next week.

Last edited:
Hey fellas,
pure precision is Inletting their altitude stocks for short & long savages.

Top bolt release is inlet for AICS DBM's only (older blind magazine flat backs are not being inlet).

Bottom release actions are inlet for the factory DBM & mags.

they have turned out really nice.
Awesome