I’m Making The Switch

ButterBean

While I love Winchester Rifles and am a huge fan of tang safety River's I have been a Remington guy for the most part, with that being said the Savage rifle has always intrigued me and I have had a few and let them go and have regretted it so I'm making the switch to Savage, I've got 2 actions on the way as well as stocks and other odds and ends for about a third of the cost of the Remington components.
It falls right in with my do more with less mindset so we'll see, I'm off and running, another 25 cal something or another is first on the list
Bean

LOL.....I just build my first Savage custom. I put a Krieger diamond fluted 10 twist barrel and made it a 308. Used a stocky's stock and fully bedded it. Should pick it up this Friday. I have always done Remington or Winchester based actions along with Stiller and others. I also put a PTG bolt in it.

I forgot to mention I also got rid of the barrel nut and it is a direct thread just like Remington and others.

Last edited:
Look into Desh Industries bolt lift kit, makes them cock smoother. He can also bush your firing pin, turn it down a bit and lighten the pin spring to further ease the bolt lift, last one was ~$50

My only complaint with my savages are the heavy bolt lift. I added a bolt lift kit from Stockade and I couldn't even really tell a difference. Can you tell a difference with this kit?
I will say my bedded savages shoot like customs though, I suspect if a gunsmith worked over the pinnacle of the cocking ramp that might help to.

While I love Winchester Rifles and am a huge fan of tang safety River's I have been a Remington guy for the most part, with that being said the Savage rifle has always intrigued me and I have had a few and let them go and have regretted it so I'm making the switch to Savage, I've got 2 actions on the way as well as stocks and other odds and ends for about a third of the cost of the Remington components.
It falls right in with my do more with less mindset so we'll see, I'm off and running, another 25 cal something or another is first on the list
Bean
Have Fun, I still shoot my old 110 re-barreled and have a custom .375 built on a Savage action. A lot more aftermarket stuff for the Remingtons,