Hunting muzzle brakes

fatjake

Wanting to put a brake on my new build.
Putting together a lighter weight 300win mag for upcoming elk hunt

I really don't know what I'm looking for / wanting. But here goes with what I THINK I want

*to be contoured to fit the barrel profile
*i don't want something that necessarily reduces the most recoil but it has to make it manageable, but i know I don't want big side ports pointing right back at me deafening me while hunting

I'm not even sure if this is a reasonable option. I may be looking for something totally unimaginable. But the Vais brake seems to fit the bill

All input is welcome, I'm just trying to get this lined out

Wanting to put a brake on my new build.
Putting together a lighter weight 300win mag for upcoming elk hunt

I really don't know what I'm looking for / wanting. But here goes with what I THINK I want

*to be contoured to fit the barrel profile
*i don't want something that necessarily reduces the most recoil but it has to make it manageable, but i know I don't want big side ports pointing right back at me deafening me while hunting

I'm not even sure if this is a reasonable option. I may be looking for something totally unimaginable. But the Vais brake seems to fit the bill

All input is welcome, I'm just trying to get this lined out

Radial brake like the Vais will be my last resort esp. when shooting prone (blowing debris). Ports on the sides is the way to go; all of my .300 WM have varying side discharging ports and the felt recoil is similar to .243s.

I have yet to shoot a gun with a radial style, similiar to the vias, that I enjoyed. From prone on dirt it is downright miserable. Off a concrete bench it is ok, but I still get a headache from the concussion.

I don't know the names of the side port brakes I have shot other the the jp recoil eliminator, but I have shot several that are very nice. I know one was a badger, but nothing more than that. I have shot a fair amount with a gun sporting the recoil eliminator. Not one you can contour to the barrel and it's kinda strange looking, but the function is pretty impressive.

I have not crossed over to the dark side and put a brake on my own rifle, but I have fought with myself several times especially for my competition gun.

Radial brakes are cheaper to install since they don't need to be indexed. Not a bad choice for smaller barrel contours. But like FEENIX said they suck for shooting prone.

Any muzzle brake is going to make your rifle dangerously loud without hearing protection. If you hunt with a brake just plan on protecting your ears.

Since a 300 Win doesn't have ridiculous amounts of recoil I would consider taking off the brake while hunting. The brake will make your range sessions much more enjoyable and allow you to work up your loads without writhing around in pain. Before going on your hunt just take the brake off, re-zero your rifle, and go hunting.

I had one radial brake. No more for me lol. If you shoot the rifle with a vais from prone or even sitting it will blow up a mess of dust at the very least. Drove me bonkers.

The idea of removing the brake may work, but I dont like shooting 300 mag hunting rifles without them. Then again, I am not much for recoil lol.

Check out the badger thruster, depending on your barrel contour I think it can blend in pretty well. I have a 338 mag and it fits my heavy barrel perfectly AND reduces recoil to make the rifle pretty friendly. APA little bastard may work well too. They really tame the rifle down, but they are not as slim and trim as the vais or thruster.

Vais with no ear protection is a no go. But, and I'll research tomorrow, but my 375 ruger has a brake that's ported 15 degrees away from the shooter. Not the recoil buffer some have. My guess is 30 percent? It's the only brake I still have. I'd rather shoulder additional recoil than blast. I just got tired of the concussion. Even more than recoil. That said. Shooting mainly suppressed now. Won't go back. Hate the heat it generates. But a small concession to my shooting.

I live in a state that allows them for hunting too. Makes it that much better. And titanium cans are fairly light too

Feenix..

Care to share what brand and photos

There plenty of effective muzzle brakes in the market today, just do custom search on the top right hand corner and you'll see what I mean.

My first muzzle brake was Holland's QD (https://www.hollandguns.com/) on my Savage 111F .300 WM in 2003 ...

QUICKDISCHARGEBRAKE.jpg

1024091042b.jpg

I have various 3 and 4 port custom made by my gunsmith similar to the QD.

P5170371.jpg

(SAKO M995 .300 WM)

P4030321.jpg

(Ruger M77 MKII .338 WM)

I have a JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley (JP - Tactical Compensators) on my .270 AI ...

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

[ame]https://youtu.be/LeIUjDC1zdg?t=4[/ame]

My latest MB install was a mini version (1st one on Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes) of the one in the video on my .300 WSM ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/FE7HujR0DRA?t=4[/ame]

My latest muzzle device investment is an Eliteiron 30 Bravo suppressor on my .30 Lara ...

DSCN0842_zpsylykjj02.jpg

My sincere apology for all the pictures, as you can see you have plenty of excellent choices.

Good luck!

Check out KDF they make a radial brake with no bottom holes and it can be contoured to barrel profile. I have one on my 300wm sporter. I'm sure its not as effective as a side discharge brake but its not as loud either. I try to wear hearing protection while hunting. The beenie coolly by JP is the loudest brake I have-by far!

Any muzzle brake is going to make your rifle dangerously loud without hearing protection. If you hunt with a brake just plan on protecting your ears.

This isn't exactly accurate. A brake doesn't make a rifle louder, it's been proven many times. They do redirect the gases and expose the shooter to more concussion/direct blast.

I have Vias brakes on my 338 Lapua and 6.5 creedmore they work great for me. I like the slim contour that pretty much matches my barrel . They don't get snagged on everything when i'm out hunting. I don't lay down to shoot all that often when hunting but when I do for a long range shot I have time to set up properly to avoid any issues.
I do practice a lot from prone and have yet to have any issue with my guns that I shoot that actually have a Vias brake on them!
The only other brakes I personally can comment on because I have used them is a factory top ports on a Rem700 VTR 22-250 which works okay don't really have anything good or bad to say about it.
And side ports cut directly into barrel on Ruger 338 Win Mag which tamed recoil a good bit and had insane concussion. The cuncussion wasn't very noticeable from the shooters position but horrible for bystanders.

When at the range I use ear plugs and ear muffs. When I hunt I use hunting muffs that amplify sound but turn off at 85 dB. Yesterday I replaced a side perpendicular port brake with a rearward angled port brake. The angled port brake reduced the recoil by more than twice as much in a recoil slide. Form follows function for me.

I hunt alone unless I have a guide. Then I offer him some muffs also.

I have 2 brakes from muzzle brakes and more . radial brakes blow to much dirt for me shooting prone , I won't buy any more of them .
here is a thread that just came up on another forum .

Muzzle brakes | Shooters' Forum

Home Page

I have a 300wby , I took off this brake , and put on a MBM brake , the older design 4 port with the top holes . it's like a different rifle .

I have a 338 lapua I took off this brake and put on a MBM 4 port beast . it's nice to shoot now .

I still have one radial brake on a rifle .

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts