Hunting muzzle brakes

I picked up a brake from Harrels, (they advertise here). It's on a T3 Lite, so it's light rig with a pencil barrel and works quite well, ports are to the side and slightly up. Very lightweight and actually fits the profile pretty nice. He offers 5 different diameters and threading options, so you should be able to find something that fits.

This isn't exactly accurate. A brake doesn't make a rifle louder, it's been proven many times. They do redirect the gases and expose the shooter to more concussion/direct blast.

Whether the effect is due to increased due to increased Db or concussion or something else is academic. The FACT of the matter is, a braked rifle is harder on the person behind it than one not braked. I've pulled the trigger on many unbraked rifles of a certain caliber without hearing protection without issue, then made the mistake of forgetting hearing protection with a braked version of the same round/barrel length, and the difference is NOT insignificant. I care little if a Db meter says they are the same, they are not.

Regarding brakes, look into the Heathen. Mine is a self-install not contoured, hand-timed, which is what I wanted. But what I liked as the rear ports are perpendicular to the bore, with the idea that they divert the blast of the front ports further to the side of the shooter. I can't speak from experience as the gun meant to wear it is not complete yet.

ATH,

There two things that come to mind here. 1. One time a ran a test with my .375-.416 Rem Mag running 88.0 grains of 4320 powder. I fired two shots: One with and one without the brake. The three test subjects didn't know what a brake is. They all declined hearing protection despite me using them. I asked them to tell me if the shot with the brake installed was louder or the shot without the brake installed was louder.

I was about fifty feet from the garage where my dad was seated. About half way to where I was my uncle was standing and near my side was my brother. I suggested he move back but wanted to argue with me so I dropped it. We were under a canopy of oak trees. The results were quite surprising. All three said the shot without the brake was loudest. Also the loudest rifle I heard at the range was an unbraked 7 Rem Mag. I asked one of the other shooters if my braked .264 was a loud as the 7 Rem Mag. He said, "Not even close."

2. My Terminator 3 has four ports out the sides. The one nearest the muzzle has the back part perpendicular to the bore with the front angled back. The other three ports are angled back. Since I never fire any firearm without hearing protection I have no idea if it is any different from any other braked or unbraked rifle. I know it sure tames my 6.5 RUMLN (water capacity of 109 grains). It had a Carbon fiber barrel on a Pierce titanium action with the lightest stock MPI makes. I could see the bullets impact on game.

I discovered years ago I really noticed the recoil and loudness of a 7-.300 Wea. when I fired at a deer. I guess I was getting so casual in my deer hunting the excitement didn't overwhelm my other senses. Now I have brakes one everything except the .223 and use plugs and electronic muff at the range and electronic muff while hunting.

Terminator brakes don't have a straight port and then 3 angled ones. That is a muscle brake. The Terminator brakes are 5 ports too.

The bottom line is the most effective brakes have the most concussion because the ports are angled back towards the shooter the most. I've tested tons of them and the ones that reduce the most recoil sure don't have 90 degree ports.

Honestly a person should be wearing hearing protection anytime you shoot a rifle without a suppressor and especially so when you run a brake of any kind.

51182855490__2BF8BC2D-F6B7-4AC3-AA60-01526482C545.jpg

51182854435__A7735FDC-DBA3-4B41-AC3D-F7A0517BA7B3.jpg
I had a friend put this brake on a 300 WM and 270 WSM and it may be what you are looking for. Still a bit loud of course but works great. Showing top and side view

Terminator brakes don't have a straight port and then 3 angled ones. That is a muscle brake. The Terminator brakes are 5 ports too.

The bottom line is the most effective brakes have the most concussion because the ports are angled back towards the shooter the most. I've tested tons of them and the ones that reduce the most recoil sure don't have 90 degree ports.

Honestly a person should be wearing hearing protection anytime you shoot a rifle without a suppressor and especially so when you run a brake of any kind.

Sometimes some folks on the 'net think they know what other people have. I have the Terminator 3. You need to re-read my description. The first port is cut angled in the front of the port and straight across in the back part of the port. The other threee ports are angled back. I don't have a muscle brake. I have two Terminator brakes. I purchased them from Terminator.

The brake with the most concussion I ever experience looked like a tank brake. It was on a .223. I think it is a JP Howitzer Brake.

Agreed!

Here's Jim's muscle brake in action ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/RMit5FMqp6E?t=7[/ame]

NOTE:

Before anybody give him hell for not wearing ear protection, there was an old thread about him forgeting it. :):Dgun)

Sometimes some folks on the 'net think they know what other people have. I have the Terminator 3. You need to re-read my description. The first port is cut angled in the front of the port and straight across in the back part of the port. The other threee ports are angled back. I don't have a muscle brake. I have two Terminator brakes. I purchased them from Terminator.

The brake with the most concussion I ever experience looked like a tank brake. It was on a .223. I think it is a JP Howitzer Brake.

A Terminator T-3 has 5 ports and all of them angle back. I have one so it's not speculation on my part. Unless someone else "borrowed" the name from Terminator products in NZ and built their own brake to ride on someone elses coat tails. I have most of the major muzzle brakes on the market and test with them all the time so I'm fairly familiar with them. I manufacture my own muzzle brakes so I deal with them daily. BTW cutting the back of the port flat and having a angle in the front won't lessen the concussion.

A Terminator T-3 has 5 ports and all of them angle back. I have one so it's not speculation on my part. Unless someone else "borrowed" the name from Terminator products in NZ and built their own brake to ride on someone elses coat tails. I have most of the major muzzle brakes on the market and test with them all the time so I'm fairly familiar with them. I manufacture my own muzzle brakes so I deal with them daily. BTW cutting the back of the port flat and having a angle in the front won't lessen the concussion.

I have a Terminator 3 and Terminator 2. And you are correct. I went and checked. Sorry to be a jerk. My old man memory is showing itself. As far as whether concussion changes I have no idea.

I found a photo of the brake with the most concussion I ever experienced. It is on a .223. I was behind the shooter and was amazed at the sound and concussion. It has half a pipe inside another pipe.

20170401_103642_zpsgfntxraz.jpg

This link shows a reasonable comparison test of the recoil effectiveness of several 30 cal brakes. I use the M4-72 Severe-Duty on my 300wsm as I want to be able to get a quicker second shot if needed and with the greatly reduced recoil it is possible. They do a cost as well as recoil comparison of many different and popular brakes. It has a written review as well as a video with the firearm strapped to a sled to measure the % of recoil reduction.

.30 Caliber Muzzle Brake Shootout - The Truth About Guns

Good luck with your new rifle. gun)

I last year went through what the OP is going through now. After a ton of time on internet research, I went with the Vais brake. I had my smith contour the brake to match the barrel contour and had a thread protector made to match. Develop loads with the brake, hunt and match shoot with the thread protector was my plan. The amount of recoil reduction is significant. My fully loaded 13 pound 7mm RM shooting 180 ELDX pills at 2865 recoils much less than my 8lb .25/06 with 100 TTSX at 3150. My brother pointed this out to me by watching me absorb recoil while firing both rifles. Shooters at my local range have told me that my rifle is not any louder than any other rifle being shot when I have questiond them. I have asked people many times while shooting at my range, just to confirm the advertising claims made by the manufacturer. I have hunted with the rifle but shooting both prone and sitting has not been an issue so far as I shot over snow covered ground, no flying debris issues. Accuracy has been very good during load development using the brake. Groups averaging 3/4 minute with my best 100yd fluke group at under 1/10th inch. I call it a fluke because I have not been able to repeat it.
Good luck with your search and if you decide you do not care for your first purchase, don't sweat it, just unscrew it and try a different one, they are not permanent.
Good luck to you sir.
BTL

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.