Howa 1500 or Tikka T-3 in 300 Win

baranx4

I was planning on a Tikka T-3, but a close friend keeps preaching about the Howa. I don't plan on any custom work to either other than maybe bedding. Both of these are close in price so it's a bit of a toss up.

The tikka trigger is excellent and adjusts easily. You save the money and trouble of instalation of having to buy a trigger for the howa which it must have. The tikka is 1.5 pounds lighter which is nice.

The tikka trigger is excellent and adjusts easily. You save the money and trouble of instalation of having to buy a trigger for the howa which it must have. The tikka is 1.5 pounds lighter which is nice.
I own both its a hard call. Only thing I dont like about the tikka is the recoil lug. I would go with the Tikka.

The only thing bad I have to say about the tikka, is if you want to shoot bergers you might have a tough time of it. I had a t3 that some one brought to me for load development and really wanted to shoot the 190 vld out of it. the problem was a very long throat and short mag, no matter what I tried I could not get a VLD to shoot out of it. I switched to 200 gn accubonds and it loved them. its a very accurate rifle with vertually no barrel break in required... that particular rifle was a little heavy on the recoil tho.

I have over 20 of the howa/vanguards and 6+ Tikkas. Tikka has the great trigger and Howa has a recoil lug. Both are accurate and shoot well. Like icanhithimman it is a tough call. I like the tikka because of the trigger and light weight.

I would choose the Tikka also. For an out of the box rig, they are superb.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.