Reviews please! Howa 1500.

Any idea what is break in on new Rifle?
Make sure there is nothing in the barrel and go shoot it.

Barrel break in is mostly a myth, IMO. Shoot it and clean out copper after the first range session and then clean it after 200 or 400 or… otherwise keep it clean and rust free. I live in the desert and rarely clean my barrels.

Get a bore guide and clean it from the chamber, not from the muzzle.

Make sure there is nothing in the barrel and go shoot it.

Barrel break in is mostly a myth, IMO. Shoot it and clean out copper after the first range session and then clean it after 200 or 400 or… otherwise keep it clean and rust free. I live in the desert and rarely clean my barrels.

Get a bore guide and clean it from the chamber, not from the muzzle.
Thanks 😊

Bought two year and half ago. A vanguard and a 1500, solid rifles and pretty good triggers. Both in 6.5C and they turned out t be so so shooters. Groups ran at best 1.5 inches, every once in a while 3 would group inside an inch with Hornady ELD Match, ELD-X and Federal Fusion 140//143 grain bullets. I did not bother with the "guarantee" because it could eke out the requisite group every once in a while. Bedded the Vanguard in a BC fiberglass stock and with that and a well fouled barrel groups shrank to the range of about 1.25 inches.

Bought two year and half ago. A vanguard and a 1500, solid rifles and pretty good triggers. Both in 6.5C and they turned out t be so so shooters. Groups ran at best 1.5 inches, every once in a while 3 would group inside an inch with Hornady ELD Match, ELD-X and Federal Fusion 140//143 grain bullets. I did not bother with the "guarantee" because it could eke out the requisite group every once in a while. Bedded the Vanguard in a BC fiberglass stock and with that and a well fouled barrel groups shrank to the range of about 1.25 inches.

I had one they wouldn't group, and ai knew something was up. Took stock off and carefull torqued the front and rear bolts. I have seen it before.

The front action bolt goes into the recoil lug so if you tighten it too much, it tilts the back of the action up, and then when you tighten the rear it torques the action.

This was with Hornady match.

Before and after.

B2A58BDA-9FF4-4B57-B143-D80C670208A7.jpeg
F997AD86-F8D7-4013-ACD4-A5E1352B3374.jpeg

I have a Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 in 300 weatherby mag and it shoots well.Too many down the tube now and groups are opening a bit.Shoots about 3/4 - 1 inch inch groups now.
Have a Howa 1500 in 308 with a factory stock.They did improve the Hoage stock as it don't flex like the older ones did.This 308 shoots very well!
Also have a Howa mini action in 6.5 grendel and love this rifle but will end up replacing the stock.All are good shooters.

I bought a new stainless howa 1500, 3006 to build a custom. Got rid of the barrel, stock, and trigger.
Then put a pacnor barrel chambered for 7mm rem mag. Had the bolt face opened for the 7mm. Had the receiver blue printed. Put in a timney trigger and bell and carlson stock. Glass bedded the stock. Put a burris veracity 4 x 20 scope on it when they first came out.
I reload berger 168g vlds. At 3020' mv.
Have been using this setup for years. Have killed lots of deer, antelope, and a few elk. Very stable rifle it shoots 1/2 to 3/4 moa. Probably shoots closer to half moa, but I am getting old. Longest kill was a Mule deer at 525 yards. It's been lots of fun over the years.
Most people don't use howa 1500s to build a custom. But they are relatively cheap and they work.

Picked one up in 6.5 Grendel mini and liked it so much I grabbed a B&C stock on sale and then installed Jefferson Outdoor bottom metal. Really enjoy that rifle
I have short action 6.5 CM with Stockys camo carbon stock. 5#,s ! Was a day you had 2 buy ultralight arms rifle to get that light!

Recent Posts