Removing ejector on Howa 1500?

The easiest method for determining where the lands are has already been mentioned.
Making 2 opposite slits in the neck about 1/16" wide is all that's required.
The other method is to use your cleaning rod with a flat jag, close the bolt, let the cleaning rod rest against the bolt face with pressure so the lugs are touching the action, mark the rod at the muzzle. Then place THE bullet you are using in the chamber and hold it there with a pen or similar, slide the rod back in and mark it at the muzzle again. The distance between the 2 marks is the COAL to the rifling.

An easy method to find the sweet spot is to use a mild load and seat bullets @ 3 rounds per every .020" increment.
Start @ .020" then .040" then .060" and finally .080". One will be tighter than the rest, then you can fine tune it by going .005" deeper/longer until it shoots bugholes.

Cheers.
:)

It's a waste of time too worry about finding the lands on a gun if you can't load too that length and still fit in the magazine! Just saying! Most short actions and weatherby calibers come too mind first. The other thing is I've found if you can't get the base of the bullet too the shoulder, neck junction it's a waste too!

It's a waste of time too worry about finding the lands on a gun if you can't load too that length and still fit in the magazine! Just saying! Most short actions and weatherby calibers come too mind first. The other thing is I've found if you can't get the base of the bullet too the shoulder, neck junction it's a waste too!

What do you mean by base of the bullet tot he shoulder? I believe you want the contact between the brass and a 7mm bullet to be at least .284". Is that what you're referring to?

Yes! If you're only using half of the neck too get too the lands you're most likely not going too have a very accurate load, hi es, ect

Yes! If you're only using half of the neck too get too the lands you're most likely not going too have a very accurate load, hi es, ect

The bullet I'm using is a 140 Nosler BT 7mm (for a 7mm08). I believe it has a fairly long shank vs a bullet like a VLD. I believe I found my lands by barely inserting a bullet into a once fired case (did it with 5 different once fired in my chamber cases) and then chambering the round and then measured the ogives of the bullets. I came out with a ogive measurement within .001-.002 each time I didn't this test. My overall cartridge length was between 3.002- 3.004 so by minusing .025" for a jump it get me right to the OAL that Nosler recommends (2.800") so I'll be moving forward with the measurement.

More info: I measured 20 different Nosler 140 grain BT from base to tip and they only deviated by .001-.002. Good job Nosler!! Most were within .001 of each other

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.