Howa 1500 308 accuracy issue

Awesome Job ! YIPPEE !!!
Those crazy Criterion Barrels,.. are,.. something !
Great choice of, Cartridge !
What Barrel "Contour" did you get ?
It's a heavy target. Have a ultradyne max brake and this thing hardly even moves when shot. Super happy with it. Excited to put some hand load's together and see what it does after it settles in

I don't buy any, Bushing Dies, all mine are, Regular, F L die sets.
The Forster Dies, are very Precise for, the New, Modern "Spec'd" Cartridge's like,.. 6 Creed, 6.5 Creed, 6 XC & both, PRC's ( held to, Tighter Tolerances ).
and,. have, VLD type, "Floating" Bullet Seating.

Last edited:
Ugh...the Tubbs bullets had NOTHING to do with the original barrel being a dud. They didn't make it a dud. The barrel that came from Howa was just junk. It happens. Every manufacturer sends out a lemon now and again.

The real lesson here is SHOOT YOUR GUN FIRST BEFORE SCREWING WITH IT. Don't bed it. Don't free float it. Don't firelap it. Just test it out the way it came from the manufacturer.

I'm happy the gun shoots well with it's new barrel & the OP seems pleased. We all like a happy ending. Let's quit blaming the Tubbs product - it did not turn a tack driver into a turd.

Ugh...the Tubbs bullets had NOTHING to do with the original barrel being a dud. They didn't make it a dud. The barrel that came from Howa was just junk. It happens. Every manufacturer sends out a lemon now and again.

The real lesson here is SHOOT YOUR GUN FIRST BEFORE SCREWING WITH IT. Don't bed it. Don't free float it. Don't firelap it. Just test it out the way it came from the manufacturer.

I'm happy the gun shoots well with it's new barrel & the OP seems pleased. We all like a happy ending. Let's quit blaming the Tubbs product - it did not turn a tack driver into a turd.
The onlu disappointment I have is the lack of help from Howa. Called and talked with a guy that was supposed to send me a service request form and never heard back from them

The onlu disappointment I have is the lack of help from Howa. Called and talked with a guy that was supposed to send me a service request form and never heard back from them
Sometimes you have to chase it a bit. Usually howa does great CS. Everyone drops a ball now and then, and it's worth checking in after a few days to see what happened.

try 150 SST's at Sammi length, I believe I loaded them with IMR4895 , 1 hole five shot groups after break-in, out of my wood stock factory Weatherby, which says Howa on the Barrel, My son has the same results from a factory Browning X Bolt but he loads with H4895. also a wood stock . they seem to group well towards the higher end of the load data. you just may to find a node for your rig. good luck its sounds like you have a nice piece there.