Accuracy issues when Suppressed

Trappernewt

Howdy,
I have a 6mm Creed build with a 24" proof sendero CF barrel, Zermatt TL3 in a Manners EH1. With a thread protector or the Dead Air Brake QA adapter the rifle will shoot 3 shot groups in the .4's all day. As soon as I put the can on it won't shoot 2" groups. No baffle strikes and has the 6.5mm end cap on it. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Definitely sounds like a lite baffle strike to me. Have you scoped the can to check every baffle? I'm not expert so it certainly could be something else but based off my experience with cans and guys that shoot with cans, a lite baffle strike almost always seems to be the culprit.

Did you check the alignment when the can was installed with an alignment rod?

What is the suppressor? Also, I assume that you are shooting the same exact load. Putting a weight on the end of the barrel is going to change the harmonics. On some barrels, it doesn't matter much. On others, it can make a big difference.

I have different loads for most of my rifles. One for suppressed and another unsuppressed. Some are only .5 grains difference, some are completely different powders.

Interestingly enough, in my 12 years of experience shooting with suppressors, I have seen more carbon barrels that have significant POI and group shifts with suppressors than I have steel barrels.

I checked with bore camera. The can is supposed to be aligned automatically with the DeadAir Keymo system
The can will align to the keymo correctly, but if the threads on your barrel are slightly off, it will cause everything else to be off.

I work my loads up with the can on and it usually stays on at that point until I need to clean the barrel.

Is the first shot a flyer then groups normal after that? I've see. With some cans the first round can shift until it's full of gas then groups normally.

FWIW I just went through what ZSteile said only it was one particular gun that did it. Move suppressor to different gun and it was fine, crazy.

If it's a serviceable can maybe one of the baffles is not indexed correctly?

Hope you figure it out and please let us know your solution.

I had the same issue with two different 6.5 PRC's. The heavy barreled one shot fantastic with the can on. My shorter light contour barreled one doesn't shoot worth a darn with the can on an 1/2" groups with it off. I thought it was weird but once I started talking to people the deal with the extra weight on the end of a light contour barrel made sense. My can is a Silencer Central Banish so you can take it apart to check for light baffle strikes. No issues there.

I had the same issue on the past where the rifle shot excellent unsuppressed and then the group opened with the can on. Same can shot fine on other rifles. Never figured out why.

I have 15 or so cans and have shot them on a ton of different rifles and I've never seen that happen. As mentioned, it can change the harmonics but I don't think it would ever affect it that much. I'd be looking for a baffle strike/swipe. You should be able to look at your target and see if it's keyholing.

Howdy,
I have a 6mm Creed build with a 24" proof sendero CF barrel, Zermatt TL3 in a Manners EH1. With a thread protector or the Dead Air Brake QA adapter the rifle will shoot 3 shot groups in the .4's all day. As soon as I put the can on it won't shoot 2" groups. No baffle strikes and has the 6.5mm end cap on it. Any ideas as to what is going on?
I'm not familiar with that suppressor but you mention the 6.5 end cap. Do you have a different, larger end cap to try so you can see if the end cap is causing the issue?

I have a 6.5 PRC that shoots .375" groups without the can and opens up to 1 1/2 with the can. I recently tried it on my 308 and the **** gun was shooting 4ft low and no strikes or hits of any kind. I even took white out to the baffles to see if it was hitting. I'm at a loss as well. The 308 is a heavy varmint steel 20"